Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 09:28 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Just curious, where are some of the militias today? I know they are out there and their duty is to rise up and defend the people from the Govt should it ever become tyrannical, but I just would like to know where they are located, i cant think of any close to where I live..?

Technically, in the U.S. the unorganized Militia is all able bodied Men, 17 - 45. If you are in that group, look in the mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 09:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Restricting access to military grade weaponry and ammunition would be a good start.
Automatic weapons are already difficult and very expensive to obtain. How many times does this need to be repeated that what you are defining as "military grade" is based solely on it's looks. It has nothing to do with functionality.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:29 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Someone else posted the stats. It leaves 762 killings out of a country of 330,000,000 people. I don't have the stats handy to see how that compares to the rest of the world. I have lived in the U.S. all my life, and for several decades, and some of that time has been as a city dweller. I have NEVER seen a gun in public other than on a police officer. Never.
It compares very badly.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:31 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
He shouldn't be "punished", he just shouldn't be allowed to stockpile guns. He has a gun fetish. Limiting to what extent he can explore his fetish for something designed to kill is not "punishment", it's sound public policy.
That of course is your opinion. To him and me for that matter, restricting my freedoms due to the misdeeds of another is punishment.

The occasional mass shooting still yields less murders than what we see in Chicago in a year. Should we round up all inner city males and lock them up for the good of the city? Don't wait for them to break laws, just round them up. Some would say that is sound public policy. Keep in mind far less owners of legal guns are likely to be arrested for crimes than the population of the inner city.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:32 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
For once, I will agree with you. We really have lost our morals, our compassion for others, and our sense of right and wrong. I'm not sure where this is all going to end up, but it sure doesn't look good.
He's absolutely right, but loss of a moral compass is not unique to the US. Shockingly high gun violence rates are.

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Here is where I draw the line on guns. (and I have guns). I can see having a pistol, shotgun, or rifle, but I can not see any reason whatsoever for anyone, outside law enforcement or military, to have assault weapons.

That POS in Vegas had an arsenal that no civilian needs or should have access to. Those guns are made to one thing only, spray as many people with bullets in the shortest amount of time possible. And then we allow them to buy those stupid bump stocks !
Not only that but the amount of guns. One pistol, one 12-gauge and/or one Remington rifle, that's fine. The guy bought 20 something gums in a month and had over 40 in total. Who needs that much?

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
My honest gut feeling, and a CIA trained intel operative said this in an interview on Fox, that he believes this was politically motivated, comparing it to James T. Hodgkinson, who fired on Republicans at a baseball practice. As a CBS executive lawyer (now fired) said, the attendees of the Harvest Festival were likely many Republicans who voted for Trump, as they tend to like country music. He believes this was the same motivation, and he bases it in part on the call for violence by the Left, giving approval for such action.
So that silly meme I've been seeing floating around on FB is actually pretty close to the truth. If democrats stopped shooting people a lot of our violence would be gone.
The cops that got killed in TX, the Congressional baseball game, This one (if the theory proves correct), all the inner city violence. Very interesting. There is still the people that just plain snap though, but that is a very small percentage.

Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Automatic weapons are already difficult and very expensive to obtain. How many times does this need to be repeated that what you are defining as "military grade" is based solely on it's looks. It has nothing to do with functionality.
The UK Laws are explained here, and hunting and gun sports are still catered for.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:33 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
I assume that if the Vegas killer only had access to handguns and shotguns, the number of people killed/wounded would have been much less. Indeed, he may not have even tried.

I am certainly in favor of banning future sales of 'military grade weapons' to private citizens, save perhaps for special licensing. As with the prior ban, that expired after its ten-year term, there would obviously be a 'grandfather' clause for those that already own such weapons.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:33 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
What makes you think I believe that? I have never even alluded to such an absurdity.

Nobody is guaranteed not to die a violent death. Nobody should die during a robbery either, or an auto accident.

But you cannot punish the entire population for the actions of a few. Why should law abiding citizens be forced to give up their rights because of a crazed killer?

Some on the Left have even advocated taking away the right to free speech because some spew "hateful speech" ("Pigs in a blanket! Fry 'em like bacon!") That chant actually does lead to violence, but nobody is talking about that! No, they are talking about silencing conservatives, which they say are spewing "racism" and "white supremacy." Where does this craziness stop?

Are we to throw away the Constitution and become a democracy (like many liberals are demanding, and even wrongly referring to "our democracy" in political speeches)? Jefferson said: “Despotism in the hands of one is no different than despotism in the hands of 174.” That describes a democracy, or "mob rule."

In a democracy the only rights we have are what the majority decides we have. And they can take them back at any time.

I don't know about you, but that isn't the kind of country I want to live in.
If these mass shootings or random gun deaths and injuries were isolated incidences I may agree with some of what you write. But they are not. They are the norm when it comes to random gun deaths and injuries and becoming the norm for mass killings. One thing they all have in common is easy access to fire arms. Until we deal with the crux of the problem this will continue.

Like you I want a safe country and one governed by the rule of law. That is why I believe change must come through the ballot box. I have my opinion and you have yours, and that is what makes America great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies