Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 08:22 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,124,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
What we don't get, is when comparing statistics to form a decision, using logic and not emotion, the statistics don't add up that firearms are a significant threat to life in America unless you are a criminal looking to do harm or steal from someone who is a law abiding gun owner.

Furthermore... you base your support to ban based on visual appearances and catchy phrase words parrotted by anti gun stanced politicians and celebrities who enjoy the protections of armed guards...

But don't let your hate stop you. 50+ rednecks... mentally deranged because they own a gun...

Are any gun crimes ever committed by law-abiding gun owners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 08:23 AM

50,137 posts, read 46,774,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
First off, define gun crime.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:23 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,477,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Baseball bat, probably not, but you can't say for sure. China and Japan saw 33 and 19 people killed by stabbing. Number of deaths can certainly be due to weapon, but we shouldn't ignore the other issues. In my post about deadliest shootings, I tried to point out things they had in common in addition to the guns.

Let's be honest, guns aren't going anywhere, and NONE of us wants to see people killed. So let's take a look at 1) where these killings take place, 2) length of time the killer has before being confronted. Those are areas where we might actually be able to make a difference.

Anywhere you have tens of thousands of people in a relatively small area, you're going to have a potential for large loss of life. There's a reason these psychos choose concerts, schools and crowded train stations. Can we make these areas safer?

The hotel room wasn't entered by police for 75 minutes. Now, maybe they didn't feel an urgent need, since the shooting had stopped, but why take chances? They couldn't have known the guy was dead, since they weren't in the room, right? Part of the reason Virginia Tech was so bad was because police stayed outside waiting for back-up. I'm not even remotely holding police accountable for the actions of these scum, so don't take it that way. I'm suggesting reality-based ideas on how to maybe minimize the deaths from these events.
Well, with the whole police thing, you had people cry and whine over the militarization of police agencies. I never saw a legitimate excuse come from their arm chair knee jerk reactions that made any logical sense to let surplus go to scrap yards and be wasted...

Something like this happens I bet they change their stance on police and the equipment and training they get.

I'm not a criminal, therefor I have nothing to fear if police are issued surplus weapons, or surplus hummers or MRAPs. Why they're over reacting to the police getting that stuff makes no sense unless they're either scared of the appearance or are a criminal/engaging in criminal enterprise themselves.

I am in no way shape or form knocking the police. I am in no way shape or form knocking the hotels security. I am not playing Internet hero. I am saying what I legitimately would have done.

Problem is in matters with any first responding agency, is the "protocol"

How many agencies train for something like this until after It happens? Probably every single one.
Just like my highschool days of practicing lock down drills. They happened after 9/11 and the whole school shooter being a jihadist threat arose...

It's better to train for it, be armed for it, and have the gear and know how, and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it.

But. What will likely happen, stricter gun control. Stricter security and surveillance measures legislated in after this had happened. Then possibly the funding for the police agencies to be trained to SWAT standards.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:25 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,477,443 times
Quote:
Law abiding meaning we don't flash our weapons to intimidate or threaten, we do not engage in criminal enterprise like dealing drugs, or commit rape, robbery, breaking and entering...

Old 10-06-2017, 08:31 AM

14,990 posts, read 23,811,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are around 600 million guns, how many are used in the Olympics. Besides I don't believe they use AR-15's.
There are over 11,000 competitive shooting matches in the US per year. AR-15's are very much represented at these shooting matches. I don't know how many are involved in the sport of competitive shooting, there are a number of different organizations - but, for instance, IDPA (for pistol matches) has 22,000 members.
It's a HUGE sport

Old 10-06-2017, 08:32 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,288,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And when the average person who doesn't have proper marksman training is required to defend themselves against multiple hostile targets, and they are limited to single shot, bolt action only? Does this volume of fire thing not help them defend themselves?

Are there infinite police and national guard who can be instantly everywhere and all at once? How does the average American defend against the multiple armed threat scenario, in this world of "bolt action only?"
You call the police and wait 45 minutes for them to show up and save you?

Old 10-06-2017, 08:49 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,486,797 times
Quote:
Several states have tried to create criminals by outlawing possession of certain guns, ammunition, and accessories. It's happening as we speak.
It's not unheard of for legitimate gun owners to be charged in cases of self defense, also.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:50 AM

57,009 posts, read 25,978,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Time to bring this up again. Add about 200 million more guns over 20 years, and watch what happens to the gun homicide rate...

Source: Centers for Disease Control and Congressional Research Service

1993 to 2013: More Guns = Less Gun Crime
We don't live in a static environment where you can pull out one piece of information and claim a connection. Some cities have changed do to changes in laws and policy, quite different today than back in the 1980's in NYC when we had the Saturday Night Special Guns.

NYC, Boston and others have strict gun laws but low crime rates. If gun possession reduces crime then Chicago should be heavenly.

Connecting the decrease in crime to the increase in guns is a giant leap. Even with the reduction in homicides we are still the most violent civilized country in the world.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:02 AM

27,019 posts, read 13,262,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Well, with the whole police thing, you had people cry and whine over the militarization of police agencies. I never saw a legitimate excuse come from their arm chair knee jerk reactions that made any logical sense to let surplus go to scrap yards and be wasted...

Something like this happens I bet they change their stance on police and the equipment and training they get.

I'm not a criminal, therefor I have nothing to fear if police are issued surplus weapons, or surplus hummers or MRAPs. Why they're over reacting to the police getting that stuff makes no sense unless they're either scared of the appearance or are a criminal/engaging in criminal enterprise themselves.

I am in no way shape or form knocking the police. I am in no way shape or form knocking the hotels security. I am not playing Internet hero. I am saying what I legitimately would have done.

Problem is in matters with any first responding agency, is the "protocol"

How many agencies train for something like this until after It happens? Probably every single one.
Just like my highschool days of practicing lock down drills. They happened after 9/11 and the whole school shooter being a jihadist threat arose...

It's better to train for it, be armed for it, and have the gear and know how, and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it.

But. What will likely happen, stricter gun control. Stricter security and surveillance measures legislated in after this had happened. Then possibly the funding for the police agencies to be trained to SWAT standards.
Personally I would be wary of allowing the police to become a force of occupation and would ear in mind some of the original priniples in relation to a Civilian Police Service. Furthermore the results of heavy handed policing were seen last week on the street of Catalonia when the local police were replaced by the Paramilitary Guardia Civil.

Civil Guard (Spain) - Wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crime Prevention Website

These principles are:

1. The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder.

2. The ability of the police to perform their duties is dependent upon public approval of police actions.

3. Police must secure the willing co-operation of the public in voluntary observance of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public.

4. The degree of co-operation of the public that can be secured diminishes proportionately to the necessity of the use of physical force.

5. Police seek and preserve public favour not by pandering to public opinion but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law.

6. Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of the law or to restore order only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient.

7. Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.

8. Police should always direct their action strictly towards their functions and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary.

9. The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it.

The Peelian Principles | The Crime Prevention Website

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-06-2017 at 10:22 AM..

Old 10-06-2017, 10:13 AM

58,684 posts, read 27,030,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are around 600 million guns, how many are used in the Olympics. Besides I don't believe they use AR-15's.
"
Originally Posted by Quick Enough
"Firearms are the only thing designed specifically to kill and maim."

This statement waswhat I responded to.

Sorry if I proved it WRONG.

"Besides I don't believe they use AR-15's"

Do you even know what an AR-15 is?

How does it differ from any other rifle that shoots the same caliber round?

Oh, it LOOKS like a military rifle, therefor it must be banned.

LOOKS do NOT make ANY rifle different then any other rifle that shoots the SAME round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies