Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 07:26 PM

30,024 posts, read 11,616,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
I could agree with most of this. Only problem is I do love a good action movie.

I am reminded every day of a mistake that I made with a gun when I was in my early 20's; I got careless and wound up shooting part of two of my fingers off. I still shoot guns, but I have a much healthier respect for them.

Wow that is horrible. I made my share of mistakes when I was younger but I lucked out I guess.

I am usually against censorship. But I think this might help. Look Hollywood has to craft their movies to get approved into the Chinese market. They can do this for America. That is if gun violence is really such a big deal to them as the say it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 07:27 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,206,128 times
I'm still pissed Marvel & Netflix have decided to postpone the release of the Punisher series because of the LV shooting.
I understand the reasing behind it, but I still don't like it.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:45 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,208,858 times
As I said I was young and dumb, At this point I can't even remember what it was like to have all of my fingers on my left hand.

Shortly after the accident, I still had pains in parts of my fingers that were now gone, that was kind of odd.

When I went back to school, I was in my late 20's, I already new how to type, but now I had to lean how to type all over again. Since most of your typing comes from the left hand.

I had to learn all over again how to type, the fingers to reach the keys were just not there. I asked instructors in the college I was going to for help on how to now type. They had no answers, So I started typing out my notes from the day, at first I was able to type about 10 words per minute. They I got hired at my current job, that was 20 years ago. But Since I got hared at this very large bank, a good portion of my day has always been typing, so through sheer repetition, I got my speed up to the 40 - 50 words per minutes, which is more than fast enough for my jobs.

Ironically since the accident, the hardest part for me to watch in movies, was when someone lost a body part; since I could relate to that.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:48 PM

78,013 posts, read 60,209,509 times
There are a TON of realistic first person shooter games out there so I understand the point, I don't have an answer.

Unfortunately, it's hard to know what someone might fixate on.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There are a TON of realistic first person shooter games out there so I understand the point, I don't have an answer.

My Favorite is Call of Duty, and most of it's variations.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:22 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,519,855 times
Gun manufacturers sell more guns through movies than anything else.

First person shooter game is used by the military to train soldiers.

Both should be banned if anybody is serious about banning guns.

If anybody says “It’s just a movie,” I need to remind him that every industry makes money based on advertisements - movies to entice you to buy their products.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:22 PM

I also like to pick out firearm bloopers in movies and TV shows.

Like the Beretta 92F and seeing it with the safety lever down, and not in the ready to fire position.

Or seeing a 1911, with the hammer down against the frame. In both of these cases the firearm will not fire as they are showing it.

Or hearing someone give that hammer click as if the hammer of the gun is being pulled back into the ready position, and then it turns out to be a Glock.

I point these thing out to my wife, but then she add's that only me, or some like me will even notice such things.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:25 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,923,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I was watching the baseball playoffs and they were playing over and over a commercial promoting a new show with characters they called the new Bonnie and Clyde. Handguns were shown and shots fired a few times in the promo. It got me thinking.

For the whole liberal Hollywood group who wants massive gun control they have no problem making money off of movies that have gratuitous amounts of guns and shootings.

And people with firearms in movies are usually the bad guys or the good guys killing the bad guys. Always connected to violence.

In fact in 2015 the NY post determined that 93% of movies released that year had at least one shootout. 93%!

I think Hollywood and the video game industry bares some blame for some of the violence that occurs with firearms. Numerous studies have shown some correlation and I would assume impressionable persons like teenagers and people with mental health issues would be most susceptible. There is a psychological study called the weapons effect that addresses this.

I think if we are going to ban anything regarding guns lets ban the use of guns in movies, tv shows and video games. And ban showing any previously released media containing them. They can edit those scenes out and show the edited versions.

Lets have Hollywood put their money where their mouth is!
The Truth About Video Games and Gun Violence – Mother Jones

Seems those studies have different results so I wouldn't be so quick to make assumptions.

American culture romanticizes gun ownership. Always has...and that is reflected in the movies, tv shows, books, etc. It just is.

Blame 'liberals' all you want....

Old 10-07-2017, 08:26 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,923,455 times
Are we assuming the Vegas guy liked video games. I don't remember hearing that.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:26 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,519,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The Truth About Video Games and Gun Violence – Mother Jones

Seems those studies have different results so I wouldn't be so quick to make assumptions.

American culture romanticizes gun ownership. Always has...and that is reflected in the movies, tv shows, books, etc. It just is.

Blame 'liberals' all you want....
Like advertisements are waste of money, right?

No, it’s not just a movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies