Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2017, 08:09 AM

8,116 posts, read 3,661,082 times

Advertisements

It appears that some posters are worried they would not pass the mental check
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 08:13 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So you are going to trust a government system that hates law abiding citizens having guns to determine the mental health of people? Aaaaaah, NO. And how much will it cost? Yet another infringement. Meanwhile the criminals, and crazies can go buy guns illegally, or steal them.

Read the Constitution.
I stopped reading at "hates law abiding citizens."

Try reframing the question in a more objective way and I'll be happy to answer you.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
No its not like that. Everyone does not have to pass a mental health exam to get a drivers license.
But if we are going to apply that do it for any potential deadly weapon. Deadly weapons can include frying pans and brooms.

Five time as many people are killed with a knife than are killed in a mass shooting. So lets get those background checks going for your cutlery.

At the very least we have to pass an eye exam to drive a car. At least here in Pennsylvania we do.

Do you think that's unfair? Do you think its unfair that people with epilepsy need a doctor's certification in order to drive their vehicles?

Old 10-08-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Its a check, not an audit.
Sooo....theoretically if I can answer yes to any part of 11F, I could lie and no one would be the wiser, yes? If so, what good is this form?

Quote:
So, how do you propose to structure this program? Creation of age limit laws, a new set of legal codes to enforce including fines and fees, license expiration dates including the ability to suspend and revoke, perhaps a mandatory insurance program, a program linking health care providers , mental health pipelines,
etc, etc?
Sound like all privileges would be granted from the government. Might have to repeal the second amendment for that...
I don't see why it would so difficult to undergo a basic mental health exam and get a certificate from the provider to send in with your firearms application.

If I have to **** in a cup and give over snippets of my hair in order to be considered for a job, hopeful gun owners can submit to a mental health exam before possessing an item which maims and kills people.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:17 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

At the very least we have to pass an eye exam to drive a car. At least here in Pennsylvania we do.

Do you think that's unfair? Do you think its unfair that people with epilepsy need a doctor's certification in order to drive their vehicles?
I am in PA also, and have a good friend that is an attorney who specializes in gun rights, and dealing with the courts over gun issues. He has told me on numerous occasions that our government bureaucrats on every level do not like that private citizens are able to own, and carry guns legally. Yes, this is in PA which is a relatively gun friendly state for the law abiding.

Driving is a privilege. The natural right of self defense with a firearm is not. It is a right, protected by the Constitution.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Driving on public streets isn't a right, owning a firearm is.

Drivers don't have to have a medical exam before they have a seizure, but that's the standard you want to apply to buying a firearm. Guilty until proven innocent seems to be the liberal motto, unless it's applied to actual criminals, you'll bend over backwards defending them.

How about before voting? There are clearly mentally ill people voting, should everyone have to pass a psych exam before voting?
Sometimes I wish we voters had to show we knew our arses from a hole in the ground before casting a vote. Its an important act that too many don't understand the implications of.

If a driver is epileptic, yes they do have to have a medical exam and doctor's certification to legally drive.

I said, numerous times, that I understand owning a firearm is a right. That doesn't mean I have to agree with the idea that any and all firearms in any quantity and of any power should be owned by every Tom, Dick and Harry who have means to purchase them.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Would you prefer to mandate government programs to track the mental health of all citizens?
Not really.

As I said, if you want to own a firearm go get a basic mental health exam along with a certification that you probably won't use your firearm to hurt and kill others.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I am in PA also, and have a good friend that is an attorney who specializes in gun rights, and dealing with the courts over gun issues. He has told me on numerous occasions that our government bureaucrats on every level do not like that private citizens are able to own, and carry guns legally. Yes, this is in PA which is a relatively gun friendly state for the law abiding.

Driving is a privilege. The natural right of self defense with a firearm is not. It is a right, protected by the Constitution.
As a Pennsylvanian, I'm not too keen on those things either.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:38 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,493,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Sometimes I wish we voters had to show we knew our arses from a hole in the ground before casting a vote. Its an important act that too many don't understand the implications of.

If a driver is epileptic, yes they do have to have a medical exam and doctor's certification to legally drive.

I said, numerous times, that I understand owning a firearm is a right. That doesn't mean I have to agree with the idea that any and all firearms in any quantity and of any power should be owned by every Tom, Dick and Harry who have means to purchase them.
There's that media drafted term. Power.

What determines the power of a weapon? Horsepower? Wattage? Amperage? Voltage? Torque?

Old 10-08-2017, 09:29 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,281,807 times
In the past when we have discussed dealing with these shootings, the gun crowd has whined that all the proposed attempts violate their rights as law abiding citizens, and make the accusation that we wont deal with the real issue, which is the crazy people doing this. So what happens when the discussion moves to the mental health aspect and trying to figure out how to do exactly what the gun crowd has insisted we do in the past, and deal with the mentally ill getting these guns? These same folks start screaming and stamping their feet over their rights being violated by any sort of mental health screening being done as part of a solution to crazies shooting places up.

So so predictable. But this shows that really, they want nothing done about it. These deaths, as some have shown with numbers and charts , are statistically acceptable to them as collateral damage to them getting to own these types of rifles. They are not worried about the issue at all, excepting where it causes them some momentary inconvenience when the next inevitable shooting comes along.

They just want anyone concerned with these deaths to go away and let them play with their guns in peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies