Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2017, 01:40 PM

29,335 posts, read 9,520,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I was addressing all who wish to ban any type of firearm. If they can ban semi automatic firearms they can ban them all. Who are you to decide which ones should be banned and which ones should not?
I am one who feels strongly about our right to own a gun for the reasons typical law-abiding gun owners own guns, but I am against allowing citizens from owning guns like the ones Paddock used to kill almost 60 people and injure 500 in minutes. That's who I am...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 01:46 PM

88,603 posts, read 44,314,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
People who accidentally shoot someone don't typically have the desire to do so.
Well, in my situation, it wouldn't be an accidental shooting. It would be me defending myself against a man who has already threatened to attack me, several times.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:57 PM

11,071 posts, read 10,621,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Constitution says nothing about guns. The word is not in the document.

"Arms" is not the same as guns. And it had clear connotations at that time in history.
Please tell us what the definition of "arms" is, then. Having read the writings of the founding fathers, I would love to hear your definition.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:00 PM

7,461 posts, read 4,281,788 times
Quote:
I am one who feels strongly about our right to own a gun for the reasons typical law-abiding gun owners own guns, but I am against allowing citizens from owning guns like the ones Paddock used to kill almost 60 people and injure 500 in minutes. That's who I am...
It doesn't really matter whether you're against that or not. The Supreme Court already ruled that the 2nd Amendment protects weapons that are in "common use". The type of weapons that Paddock used are indeed in "common use". Why is that so difficult for you and others to understand?

They specifically mentioned in "common use" to negate the argument that the 2nd Amendment only applies to weapons that were available at the time the Constitution was written. As many people would have you believe.

In all probability bump stocks or any other device that can be attached to a semi automatic firearm to simulate full automatic fire will be made illegal to manufacture and own. But the actual firearm will not. Just as it is already illegal to convert a semi automatic firearm to full automatic fire by physically altering the actual firearm or it's internal parts.

If you're one who thinks it should be up to you who should decide which weapons that are in "common use" that people should be allowed to own. Then you are not one who "feels strongly about our right to own a gun for the reasons typical law-abiding gun owners own guns". Who are you trying to kid?

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-11-2017 at 02:13 PM..

Old 10-11-2017, 02:05 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,887,954 times
Quote:
What are those reasons? What guns will you allow me to keep?

Old 10-11-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Please tell us what the definition of "arms" is, then. Having read the writings of the founding fathers, I would love to hear your definition.
Their arguments are bordering on the absurd. Unfortunately these are the types of people we have to contend with. The next thing they will be arguing is that it applies to the "arms" that we are born with. That's how ridiculous this is becoming. We're not dealing with rational people here. Just emotional mass hysteria.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:27 PM

8,016 posts, read 3,585,136 times
Quote:
I was addressing all who wish to ban any type of firearm. If they can ban semi automatic firearms they can ban them all. Who are you to decide which ones should be banned and which ones should not?

The Supreme Court already ruled in Heller/McDonald that the 2nd Amendment applies to weapons that are in "common use".

You may not like that but it is what it is. No amount of BS propaganda will change that.
And who are you?

So Scalia interpretation was that bazookas are not ok, that's nice. "Common use" depends on the law and availability.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:58 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,231,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
There are numerous historical analyses of "arms" and "bearing arms". Help yourself.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
And who are you?

So Scalia interpretation was that bazookas are not ok, that's nice. "Common use" depends on the law and availability.
And who the hell are you? Why don't you just take the time to read the entire decision before spouting off about something you know absolutely nothing about.

"Common use" is just that, weapons that are in "common use". Semi automatic firearms are perfectly legal to own in all 50 states even in those states that have restrictions on them. Most states do not impose any restrictions on them. So they are both legal and available. It's not up to me or you to decide which weapons people are allowed to possess. The Supreme Court already decided that. Too bad you don't like it. They've made decisions that I don't agree with either but there's not a God damn thing I can do about it.

With the confirmation of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court and the likelihood of two more replacements on the court. The 2nd Amendment and the types of weapons that can legally be owned will not be changed anytime soon. The momentum is on the side of those who support the 2nd Amendment. Just recently the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled that D.C.'s concealed weapons restrictions are arbitrary and therefore unconstitutional.

Quote:
Appeals court order blocks enforcement of D.C.'s strict concealed...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...efa_story.html
Sep 28, 2017 ... Under current law, D.C. residents who want a permit to carry a concealed firearm must show they have “good reason to fear injury.” The rules ...
D.C. officials decide not to try to save their gun law by...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...e5d_story.html
6 days ago ... District officials will not appeal a court order blocking enforcement of the city's restrictions on carrying concealed guns in public, setting the ...

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-11-2017 at 03:29 PM..

Old 10-11-2017, 03:02 PM

88,603 posts, read 44,314,754 times
Quote:
And who the hell are you?

"Common use" is just that, weapons that are in "common use". Semi automatic firearms are perfectly legal to own in all 50 states even in those states that have restrictions on them. Most states do not.

Why don't you just take the time to read the entire decision before spouting off about something you know absolutely nothing about.
Yes. I have a semi-auto pistol, for self-defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies