Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 09:48 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
The real world and copying and pasting some statues are two different things. If you know anything about Mexico and it appears you know absolutely nothing then you would know the laws on the books and the reality on the streets are very different.

From Liberal NPR:

Law-Abiding Mexicans Taking Up Illegal Guns : NPR

In Mexico, where criminals are armed to the teeth with high-powered weapons smuggled from the United States, it may come as a surprise that the country has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the world.

Law-abiding Mexicans who want a gun to defend themselves have no good options. Either they fight government red tape to get a legal permit, or they buy one on the black market.
True, and I've made this point about Mexico a few times before as well (having been there many times).

Mexico has some "unique" problems all its own...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Here's the thing the gun grabbers/banners aren't comprehending about the 2nd Amendment: There can't be a militia, let alone a well regulated militia... if NO ONE is armed.

Hence, the "shall not be infringed" Constitutional Right to keep and bear arms.
I also always try to avoid addressing comments filled with loaded rhetoric like this one...

"Gun grabbers." Can't comprehend the constitution. Give it a rest already!

Old 10-18-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So, you see your neighbor carrying a gun into his house. Is that enough to call the cops?
No, but if this neighbor kept talking about using it when the POTUS came into town, I might alert the authorities about that, or if I noticed my son was over at his house playing with his son and too often he was waving his gun around, I might have the police pay him a little visit, or...

Seriously though, I used to have that concern about my son playing down the street where I knew there were neighbors with guns. Their judgement was a matter of concern for me.

More recently, up the street from where we live now, there is some yahoo that loves to shoot his gun in the air in the middle of the night, especially before, during and after 4th of July and New Year's eve, but sometimes for no apparent reason whatsoever. Drives the neighbors and their dogs nuts. Ours too. Not much anyone can do about that either no matter how many times the neighbors call the cops (I don't bother).

Old 10-18-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Fair enough. I'll keep trying to get caught up on this 300+ page behemoth of a thread, paying particular attention to where you have already addressed these issues.
I wouldn't wish that on anyone, and given what better we have to do with our time, I can only dabble in a thread like this for a short while in the morning...

Otherwise, I can't help but note how little most people really even think about guns, let alone use them. Me and most people I know don't ever think about guns as we go about our daily lives. Other than the likes of these acts of terrorism, like my friends experienced at that show in Vegas, like we all experience one way or another. Then and when I have been part of these gun threads from time to time. Otherwise guns are not part of my life -- "knock on wood."

Of course there are others for whom guns are a big part of their life. You know who these people are by reading their comments, and there is nothing wrong with that of course (to a healthy point). Some who I don't think go through a day of their lives without some focus on guns. Their choice of course, just like yours to waste time researching this thread, but there too is part of the problem with this issue.

Most people are just not part of the "gun culture" and as such, they don't feel the "pain and suffering" that gun lovers express in these threads about gun regulations. Something like how lots of people don't pay taxes, so they don't really care that much about new tax regulations. I get it...

Problem for gun lovers, however, is that in the eyes of most people who don't want guns in their lives, they certainly don't want their non-gun culture ruined by gun violence or nuts like Paddock while they simply want to enjoy some music. Not much anyone can do about that too of course, but it's awfully easy to understand that sentiment on the part of people who don't have guns as part of their lives. Is it not?

My sister-in-law is still dealing with some coping issues after the Las Vegas shooting...

Old 10-18-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
100% correct!
Suicide (abortion too for that matter) are also subjects that deserve a bit more consideration in my opinion...

Sure, anyone who wants to off themselves can do so, but is that the end of the story? Is that the end-all regarding this issue too? I really don't think so...

Might be hard to understand this much like some don't understand the problems of depression or what depression really even is, but most people can well understand the want to off themselves one day, and maybe would if they had a gun handy right then, but then they live to see another day, and happily so...

Old 10-18-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I have never understood the law against suicide. It is only technically suicide if they succeed. How would they arrest a dead person?
Dead people can't run from the police...

Old 10-18-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Come on. He addressed a very real issue of one engaging in a perfectly legal activity, but having some very bad consequences as a result of invasive laws. Can't you address the issue?
You mean why not waste more of my time? I try to be a little more discerning about what comments to address...

There are enough people who can make a coherent fair argument that doesn't involve that sort of radical version of what can happen in order to refute the reason such laws and efforts to prevent violence even exist, and when I'm am accused of "hating freedom?"

"Come on" you say? Please...

Old 10-18-2017, 10:30 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
No, but if this neighbor kept talking about using it when the POTUS came into town, I might alert the authorities about that, or if I noticed my son was over at his house playing with his son and too often he was waving his gun around, I might have the police pay him a little visit, or...

Seriously though, I used to have that concern about my son playing down the street where I knew there were neighbors with guns. Their judgement was a matter of concern for me.

More recently, up the street from where we live now, there is some yahoo that loves to shoot his gun in the air in the middle of the night, especially before, during and after 4th of July and New Year's eve, but sometimes for no apparent reason whatsoever. Drives the neighbors and their dogs nuts. Ours too. Not much anyone can do about that either no matter how many times the neighbors call the cops (I don't bother).
Shooting a gun in the air is police worthy but simply handling a firearm on your own property isn't. I do that all the time, they don't clean themselves. My neighbors just wave, I wave back and go on about our business.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Shooting a gun in the air is police worthy but simply handling a firearm on your own property isn't. I do that all the time, they don't clean themselves. My neighbors just wave, I wave back and go on about our business.
Did I make a statement contrary to yours?

Old 10-18-2017, 10:36 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Did I make a statement contrary to yours?
You stated previously

Police rely a great deal on tips from the public to do what it can to prevent illegal activity. Also with no sort of full-proof or entirely acceptable results, but to suggest these laws do nothing to prevent illegal activity is nonsense

so firing a gun is illegal activity

handling an unloaded gun isn't. Is there some new law you are looking for? You can already report someone threatening the Pres or shooting into the air.

As far as I know this shooter displayed this number of illegal activities = 0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies