Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 08:38 AM

2,828 posts, read 824,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Except in Switzerland, the mentally ill cannot own guns. Here they can.
Unless someone is institutionalized, there is know way to know if they are mentally ill and going to flip out and do a mass shooting, even in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 08:42 AM

8,132 posts, read 3,671,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Anyone can make one, with the right tools. You seem to have this false sense of security, that banning ALL GUNS solves your emotional problems.

Whatever. By the way I was talking about background checks. Two words: reading comprehension.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
In my state, PA, ALL handgun sales must go through an FFL holder with a background check. Rifles, and shotguns can be sold privately, but BOTH parties must be legally allowed to own firearms. Most of the time the seller requires the buyer have a LTCF (concealed carry license) in order to prove the buyer isn't prohibited from owning firearms.
Good.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:45 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Whatever. By the way I was talking about background checks. Two words: reading comprehension.
Ah yes, the useless BGC. For starters, this guy passed them. Next, 80,000 people a year who aren't eligible to buy a firearm try, which is also against the law. We prosecute an average 4 of them.

A felon can buy all the parts they want to make a firearm. They'd be stupid to even try to buy when they can mail order to their house now wouldn't they. The last one I put together took me less than an hour.

You can't wish away illegal buys. Good people follow the law, bad ones certainly do not. Of what use is a law if there is no penalty for breaking it?

Old 10-20-2017, 08:47 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
America is unique, in the aspect individuals are not owned by and in bondage to the government and are in fact responsible for their own life, liberty & property. Thus if you threaten my life, my liberty or my property, you will die with one pull of the trigger.
The end game is to become thumb sucking dependents placing responsibility from ones self, onto the government in some form of alphabet soup bureaucracy in vain of tragedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Not much offends me but this last one does. You are including me with this A-hole and I could give a flip you are disgusted. Just the fact that you can't divide this devil from the rest of us makes me think you have some serious issues.
Absolutely, they suffer from emotionally clouded judgement, with equating law abiding people who have a clear understanding of the constitution, who do not want to be reliant/dependent upon a 2nd 3rd or 4th party to protect them, with criminals and psychos.

This is where the shepherd, sheep, the sheep dog, and wolf analogy is relevant.

Sheep rely on the dog to protect and herd them.
The dog relies on commands from the shepherd and natural instincts to protect and herd.
The wolf just wants to devour the sheep. If the wolf has to contend with a dog or multiple dogs it won't likely attack.

Sheep= People
Dog=armed citizens and police
Shepherd=government controller (gives the orders/rules and training to the dog)
Wolf=criminal.

If you want to be a sheep. Fine be one. Don't expect anyone to join you in vain of tragedy. And don't confuse the dogs with the wolves.
We don't have a blood lust or desire to harm to anyone, unless they themselves wish to harm property, life, liberty, pursuit of happiness.

If you don't like freedom that is afforded here in this nation, go somewhere that shares your ideology. When other countries are mentioned. Go there if it's so appealing. Stop trying to make America into (___________)

Old 10-20-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ah yes, the useless BGC. For starters, this guy passed them. Next, 80,000 people a year who aren't eligible to buy a firearm try, which is also against the law. We prosecute an average 4 of them.

A felon can buy all the parts they want to make a firearm. They'd be stupid to even try to buy when they can mail order to their house now wouldn't they. The last one I put together took me less than an hour.

You can't wish away illegal buys. Good people follow the law, bad ones certainly do not. Of what use is a law if there is no penalty for breaking it?
So as usual we come back to the argument that something does not work, so nothing can be done, ever.

Btw, background check can mean very many different things.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:03 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Yes, you did make the claim. Right here:

I am clearly arguing with you and the claim that you made.

So, support your claim, and tell us what the loophole is. Should be easy for you given your belief.

Do you really gain anything by dodging the question?
The Wikipedia says it exists. So it exists as a Wikipedia claim. That is my point and remains my point.

Here is another reference to a claim that it exists and will be closed by a Nevada initiative.

https://thinkprogress.org/nevada-gun...-86954e93d07b/

The Nevada initiative passed barely but has not been initiated over issues with the source of the background check.

The point you appear to be making is that the issue is with private party sales of which gun show private party sales are only a part. True but in no way changes the facts that a number of places are referring to it as the gun show loophole.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:27 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
So as usual we come back to the argument that something does not work, so nothing can be done, ever.

Btw, background check can mean very many different things.
Background check doesn't mean very many things... NICS
It means National Instant Criminal background check System.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/atf-for...cord-revisions
Quote:
Instruction for Question 9: Clarifies that the licensee should provide the UPIN when conducting background checks through the NICS or the State POC.

Instruction for Question 19 (Formerly Question(s) 21, 22, 23): Clarifies for purposes of this form, contacts to NICS include State agencies designated as points-of-contact (“or POCs”) to conduct NICS checks for the Federal Government. Provides instructions for completing the form when a transaction was denied and later overturned.

Instruction for Questions 20 and 21 (Formerly EXCEPTIONS TO NICS CHECK): Clarifies that the exception includes transfers of National Firearms Act firearms to an individual who has undergone a background check during the NFA approval process. Also clarifies that a NICS check must be conducted if an NFA firearm has been approved for transfer to a trust, or to a legal entity such as a corporation, and no background check was conducted as part of the NFA approval process on the individual who will receive the firearm. Additionally clarifies that individuals who have undergone a background check during the NFA application process are listed on the approved NFA transfer form.
The 4473 form for all firearm and receiver purchases are there on the ATFs Website.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:41 AM

29,544 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
"Democrat"/"republican" doesn't mean anything to me anymore. RINOs/neocons have poisoned the term "republican" to the point now it doesn't mean what it originally did.

I'm a CONSERVATIVE, and I will let you in on a little secret: there aren't very many of us around anymore, or at least with prominent voices in the American public today.
Good thing. Reading this comment has made my morning already!

Old 10-20-2017, 09:44 AM

29,544 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Here's your justification:

This doesn't even include the late night comedy shows. Jimmy Kimmel, Stephen Colbert, Seth Meyers, Bill Maher, Conan O'Brien, Jimmy Fallon, Alec Baldwin etc.

Then there's the major news networks. CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC .

Then you've got all the media bias against Trump:
Been there, done that...

The unbiased truth about media bias. Possible?

Perhaps an exchange better suited for that thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies