Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 10:53 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Whatever. By the way I was talking about background checks. Two words: reading comprehension.

What good does a background check do for me? I can make 3 guns a day, working solo and taking cig breaks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 10:56 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
As I said a background check might mean different things and it does. I never discussed NICS.

I could tell you what is needed to decrease the likelihood of gun violence but you are not going to like it.
I can, too. And you are not going to like it.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what you are talking about, not having a registry is actually one of the problems.
Other than state or local requirements, records of gun owners by gun serial numbers are kept by both the manufacturer and the FFL Dealer where the gun was purchased.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:30 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I didn't say that BCs were a registry. I said that private BCs REQUIRE a registry in order to be enforced. Because of all the guns that have been sold and re sold. Please read my post a little closer. People can voluntarily register a gun in any state and Hawaii has a central registry. But there will be no such registry in NV. Opposition to such is quite strident. Vegas and their support of gun grabbing politicians be damned.
Wrong, Missouri has a law that does not allow registry.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Wrong, Missouri has a law that does not allow registry.
Don't be naĂŻve...

The federal Gun Control Act of 1968 mandated that all firearms have a serial number and that everyone who buys a gun fill out federal Form 4473. The form records the name, address, driver’s license information and background check information of the buyer as well as the model and serial number of the gun. FFLs are required to keep these forms for as long as they are in business, then surrender them to the ATF if/when they shut their business down.

Missouri law cannot supercede that: US Constitution's Supremacy Clause.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:55 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Don't be naĂŻve...

The federal Gun Control Act of 1968 mandated that all firearms have a serial number and that everyone who buys a gun fill out federal Form 4473. The form records the name, address, driver’s license information and background check information of the buyer as well as the model and serial number of the gun. FFLs are required to keep these forms for as long as they are in business, then surrender them to the ATF if/when they shut their business down.

Missouri law cannot supercede that: US Constitution's Supremacy Clause.
Yes you are correct. But that's still not registering the gun with the federal government at the point of sale.

At the time the business closes and those forms (4473) are surrendered many of those firearms have already changed hands either through a private sale where it's legal without paperwork or through other licensed dealers. Many have been passed down or given to other family members.

The intended purpose of Form 4473 is to trace the gun back to it's original purchaser if the gun turns up at a crime scene. If in fact the original purchaser lied on Form 4473 they would then be charged with a federal crime even if the original purchaser didn't commit a crime with that gun. As the gun may have changed hands from the time it was originally purchased.

If universal background checks and a federal registry were implemented every single person who owns a gun would become a de facto federal firearms dealer. They'd have to keep copies of Form 4473 on hand and have access to the NICS system in the event they were to ever sell or even loan a gun to another person for any lawful purpose. They'd have to follow all of the same requirements and pay the same fees as a federally licensed dealer would. That being the case they could also buy guns and ammunition directly from the manufacturer. Obviously this would put the gun stores out of business.

The only alternative to that would be to require all private sales to be done through a federally licensed dealer. In which case people would be forced to sell their guns at a loss as the dealer would have to make a profit on the sale of those guns. If a person were to even loan another person a gun for any lawful purpose that loan would also have to be done through a licensed dealer. As the only person authorized to have that gun would be the original purchaser. Even if a husband were to leave a gun at home for his wife if the husband was the initial buyer. That would also apply to siblings who are of the lawful age to own a firearm.

If a husband did not complete a legal transfer of that gun to his wife and the wife or sibling had to justifiably use that gun to defend themselves. The husband could be charged with illegal gun trafficking and the wife or sibling charged with the illegal possession of a weapon.

Universal background checks and a federal registry may seem like innocuous little laws or requirements. But the overall results would get a lot of otherwise law abiding people into a lot of legal trouble. Obviously this would be great for the bottom line of the trial lawyers of which most politicians are.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:00 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Oh, already walking away.

For me, no need, I'm not buying any.
I also had more background checks than you.

My bad, got two different posters mixed up.
Uh, do you have any proof of that?

Old 10-21-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Yes you are correct. But that's still not registering the gun with the federal government at the point of sale.
It creates a searchable registry.

End game.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:17 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Most of our guns are inherited. They date back to the 50s and 60s. Never been registered.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Most of our guns are inherited. They date back to the 50s and 60s. Never been registered.
As it should be.

NO gun should ever be registered, even with the manufacturer, unless the owner wishes so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies