Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2017, 10:39 AM

10,752 posts, read 5,672,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Other than state or local requirements, records of gun owners by gun serial numbers are kept by both the manufacturer and the FFL Dealer where the gun was purchased.
Manufacturers don't have records of gun owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 10:41 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Fortunately here in Arizona we have state preemption statutes that prohibit counties and municipalities from enacting firearms laws that are more restrictive than the state's. The only exception is on the Indian reservations. We are also a Constitutional Carry state where no permits are required to carry either open or concealed. Obviously there are no registration requirements here either. Permits are optional and the handguns are not listed on the permit nor does the state require that information when applying for and obtaining a permit.

As for me I wouldn't sell a gun to anyone who did not have a valid Arizona drivers license along with an Arizona concealed weapons permit (CWP). I would then keep a personal record of who I sold that gun to. Yes there are some people that I know very well that I wouldn't have a problem selling one of my guns to. But they too have a (CWP).

The NV constitution also preludes counties and municipalities from violating it with more restrictive than the state statutes where firearms rights are concerned. Vegas tried it and it was challenged and overturned. They had a municipal law prohibiting CC in N Vegas. It was discriminatory and against the state statutes and constitution. N Vegas is also the place an honest citizen would be wise to carry. Thus that prohibition went away.

We now have constitutional carry here (again) as well. When "shall issue" for CCW was enacted they tried making open carry prohibited for a while. That was challenged and now the state constitution, as it has been since NV became a state is now intact again. All these attempted preemptions of the state constitution came out of Vegas. Though NV is listed as a blue state outside Clark county things are VERY different.

North of Pahrump folks see things in a quite disparate manner from there and Vegas metro and suburban types. Problem is, we in the North , even with our three larger urban areas, can't touch Clarks population, and number of CA transplants. Our largest population centers are Reno/Sparks, Carson City and Elko. Fallon comes in at a distant 4th but is still a rural farming/ranching community, and Elko has a dense population because of the mining industry. It's huge. But the area is still surrounded by farming (more ranching) and attitudes about gun rights are avidly in support of them.

However where the both the state and federal Constitutions are concerned, despite those numbers the law prevails. And any attempt to amend the state constitution to preempt firearms rights would meet with massive opposition. Ain't gonna happen, Vegas notwithstanding. Trying to dice up our constitution would see such huge turnout in protest here in the North that even the Vegas politicians know better than to try. What they have already tried was met and squashed. Without what would happen if they tried to open up the state constitution. As far as the firearms I currently own, the only person who will ever take ownership of them is my son. And there won't be any BC. In such cases as between he and I consider having to do a BC an invasion of family privacy. Something I hold very dear. I don't know a single cop in this area who would disagree with me on that.

Last edited by NVplumber; 10-21-2017 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: typo

Quote:
Don't be naĂŻve...

The federal Gun Control Act of 1968 mandated that all firearms have a serial number and that everyone who buys a gun fill out federal Form 4473.<<SNIP>>
GCA 1968 requires neither of those things.

You really should educate yourself further before spouting off more inaccuracies. You're embarrassing yourself.

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
If an individual is too violent to be able to exercise their constitutional rights, they are too violent to live among society. They should either remain incarcerated for life or they should be put down like a rabid dog.

My personal opinion is that the only people who should lose their constitutional rights on a permanent basis are those who have committed severe violent crimes such as murder or even assault with a deadly weapon if there are no extenuating circumstances. Those people should never be let back out on the streets anyway, so no issues.

Those that commit a nonviolent felony or those that commit a violent felony with extenuating circumstances should have their rights returned when released or after a suitable probationary period. The fact that someone who has a felony because they possessed to much marijuana or didn't pay their taxes and therefore can never again be considered a full citizen falls under the category of undue punishment and is rather ridiculous.
Wouldn't it be nice and easy if all these issues, the rule of law, were all so black or white?

I find the following quote all too appropriate in this forum all too often...

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. -- H. L. Mencken

Old 10-21-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
End the war on drugs and watch gun violence drop significantly. Police can go back to real police work instead of this illegal drug BS and not be at war with the neighborhoods they serve.

Less felons means less welfare. It's absurd how many males over the age of 18 are felons in this country.
Thinking you might enjoy a look at this other thread about "real police work."

Florida police arrest 277 people in just five days by posing as prostitutes to snare men.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Unfortunately, just like there is no way to stop violence there is no way to stop addiction. I come from a family that has more than its fair share of addicts. All four of my grandparents were functioning alcoholics, and their kids were young adults just in time for the hippy movement. Some dabbled, some never stopped. I've had my own issues with addiction in the past, both alcohol and harder stuff. I was a young adult in South Florida in the early nineties, you can do the math. No law ever stopped anyone in my family from indulging in their habits.

The point is, we can't stop addiction. We've been trying for fifty years and had no success. It sucks, but it's the truth. What we can do is try to educate our children about the dangers and encourage them to ignore peer pressure. We can also stop destroying the lives of people who fall down that proverbial slope by taking away any chance of getting help for their problems.
Uhh...

Perhaps we do a little research of all who have fought and won the battle of addiction (if that battle can ever be considered "won") and then let's judge whether there is "no way to stop addiction." Fair?

At a minimum, there are ways to help some. No ways to help others. On that we can agree without further comment.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Uhh...

Perhaps we do a little research of all who have fought and won the battle of addiction (if that battle can ever be considered "won") and then let's judge whether there is "no way to stop addiction." Fair?

At a minimum, there are ways to help some. No ways to help others. On that we can agree without further comment.
Are you perhaps conflating the ability of someone to overcome addiction with the ability of a society to stop addiction?

Old 10-21-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Very simple. Capital punishment for suicide attempters.
Or LIFE in prison. That'll teach 'em!

Old 10-21-2017, 10:52 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Uhh...

The question isn't whether or not addiction can be beaten or controlled. I can give personal testimony that it can. It's hard, it's painful, and it's a battle that will be fought for the rest of the recovered addict's life, but it is possible to stop being an (active) addict.

The question is whether or not addiction can be stopped. The answer to that is no, we can't. We can help addicts, we can educate people, we can run gather every program in the world that is aimed at stopping addiction and run them all at the same time. It still won't stop every single person from becoming an addict. The ones that beat it may or not remain in control of it. Even if they do, though, someone else will become addicted to something.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
It creates a searchable registry.

End game.
Fear of bad guys. Fear of registries. Fear of goboment. Must be hard to sleep at night sometimes...

End game for me is something more like the World Series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies