Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 03:31 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell;49701179[B
]It's not the guns, it's the people.[/b]

The Las Vegas shooter reportedly owned several aircraft, would we be calling for the banning of light aircraft had he loaded one with a bomb or deliberately crashed one into a crowded venue?

How do you legislate against the suicidal determined to take others with them?
Wrong, it is the guns.

Why would a private citizen need 10 or more weapons of war?

Are they going to war and who are they going to war against?

The answer is yes and they're going to war against us, everyday people going about our business and living their lives.

Until, someone like the Las Vegas shooter decides to end the lives of dozens and wound hundreds.

He injured DOZENS and wounded HUNDREDS.

That is an act of war committed by one individuals and we, as a nation, have given him and everyone else the tools to do the same thing, whether they are crazy, criminal, or both.

But people like you feel "this is the price of a free society".

BULL****!!!!!

The is the price that is paid by our society to indulge the paranoid fear of those who that "the gov'mint is going to come and take yer guns!!!".

So, the delusional fear of an unfounded concern of a few has created a very real and profound danger for the rest of us.

For the record, I am not anti-gun but I am anti-weapons of war in the hands of those who are not on-duty law enforcement or active-duty military.

Let's see how many of my fellow gun owners are reasonable and understand where I'm coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 03:33 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I'll never understands this country's love affair with guns. It makes virtually no sense whatsoever. None.
Self empowerment, which in other words freedom. The unfortunate fact is some use self empowerment for evil causes. The question is do you base rights or restricting them by the actions of criminals or not? I say no to that criminals should not dictate what we have as rights because just they abuse them.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:36 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I'll never understands this country's love affair with guns. It makes virtually no sense whatsoever. None.
Partly it is John Wayne and his fellow stars.
Partly it's a hobby. Guns are fascinating mechanical devices. The history of weapons is interesting. Reloading is an amazing and challenging hobby. Shooting is great fun.

To you, those are not attractive.
So what's your hobby?

Old 10-02-2017, 03:38 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Nobody should be allowed to have weapons that make mass killings easy. You know, common sense laws.

Worked for Australia, can work here too.
You gonna apply that to the military and police?

Old 10-02-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You gonna apply that to the military and police?
The poster did not imply that just by using the word "nobody." We understand they meant civilians.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:42 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Most people make rational decisions, not emotional decisions.
If protecting citizens, including small children isn't rational, what is?

Old 10-02-2017, 03:43 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
If protecting citizens, including small children isn't rational, what is?
Excluding freedom isn't rational...

Old 10-02-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Most people make rational decisions, not emotional decisions.
I'm sorry, I missed the name of the planet you are from??

Old 10-02-2017, 03:47 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,289 times
Always been my position that gun control works in countries where the restrictions have been in place long enough for guns to basically be non existent in that country - think Japan. Then it is just down to import control which is relatively easy.

In America however that cat has already escaped the bag ran off into the woods had kittens that had kittens that had kittens... I don't really see any effective path to gun control when you have ~350 million guns already in circulation. Gotta find a way to work with the situation that exists in reality rather than wishful thinking. In Japan, I would be fine not owning a gun. In America, not so much - because my belief is that it is prudent to maintain a power level on par with what you would find in a quick random sample of the population. Basically I am saying that because guns are so common here, I feel obligated to own them myself in order to keep myself on a level playing field should I end up in a worst case scenario.

Honestly if I had to say what I would prefer it would be something like Japan, where I simply do not have to really consider it, but that simply does not feel reasonably possible here.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:50 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Wrong, it is the guns.

Why would a private citizen need 10 or more weapons of war?

Are they going to war and who are they going to war against?

The answer is yes and they're going to war against us, everyday people going about our business and living their lives.

Until, someone like the Las Vegas shooter decides to end the lives of dozens and wound hundreds.

He injured DOZENS and wounded HUNDREDS.

That is an act of war committed by one individuals and we, as a nation, have given him and everyone else the tools to do the same thing, whether they are crazy, criminal, or both.

But people like you feel "this is the price of a free society".

BULL****!!!!!

The is the price that is paid by our society to indulge the paranoid fear of those who that "the gov'mint is going to come and take yer guns!!!".

So, the delusional fear of an unfounded concern of a few has created a very real and profound danger for the rest of us.

For the record, I am not anti-gun but I am anti-weapons of war in the hands of those who are not on-duty law enforcement or active-duty military.

Let's see how many of my fellow gun owners are reasonable and understand where I'm coming from.
Why would anybody need a swimming pool? It kills more children than all the guns combined.

Why would anybody need a car? It kills more people than guns.

Let's legislate by need, but who the hell are you to tell me what I need? How much more condescending can you be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies