U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-02-2017, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Somewhere East of Laramie
47,502 posts, read 33,534,760 times
Reputation: 21661

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, would it make more sense to have a law against using every single thing that could be used for murdering a person or just a law against murder?

W have such laws against rape and murder to punish behavior. Laws do not stop crimes from being committed.

Uh, isn't that what I said when I wrote "Laws prevent little/nothing of anything."?

I said "little/nothing" because they I think some crimes are prevented by laws when the potential criminal looks at the risk/reward equation.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2017, 02:38 PM
 
4,039 posts, read 2,013,816 times
Reputation: 5515
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Is this a troofer alert?
Just facts that were widely reported in mainstream media and quickly swept under the rug and never talked about again after 9/11...the very next day. You need an awful big distraction to make the public forget about $2.3 trillion of our tax dollars that disappeared. And now we have yet another distraction to play on the public's emotions
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 02:40 PM
 
Location: St Paul
4,879 posts, read 2,337,421 times
Reputation: 3066
It's easy to understand how the far left is conned into believing this nonsense when you look at the cherry-picking nature of the facts presented and the obvious political bias disguised as scientific research.

Over 60% of gun deaths in the United States come from suicides. That number is thrown into the gun deaths figure to beef it up and make it seem shocking. Skimming through some of the articles about gun deaths, dealing specifically with the suicides, they now claim that's a good reason for taking away the 2nd amendment. They believe & claim as fact, that taking away people constitutional rights would lower suicides. What they don't tell you is that the UK has a similar suicide rate as the US and they have no access to guns. They just gulp down a bottle of acetaminophen instead. The government, geniuses that they are, passed a law making it illegal to sell family sized bottles. Guess what people do now? They buy 2-3 regular sized bottles & continue to kill themselves at the same rate. Japan, with almost no gun ownership has a higher suicide rate than the US. They like to drink bleach to commit suicide. Also of importance within these suicide numbers & not mentioned in these left-wing articles/research is the fact that the majority of these suicides are the elderly and people with terminal illnesses. If we had assisted suicides we could help the majority of people end their lives on their own terms and with dignity.

Of the remaining gun deaths, the true homicides, the vast majority are committed by criminals who got their guns illegally, and were used in the commission of a felony. The legal & licensed firearm owner is responsible for less than 10% of the remaining 35% of gun deaths in this country & then, many of those are self-defense and justified. Furthermore, the vast majority of "mass shootings" are gang/drug related & have nothing to do with the type of shooting we saw in Las Vegas. One gang shoots four members of another gang in Chicago & the far-left won't even mention it, until they conveniently package the numbers into overall "mass shooting" stats to make them appear more shocking.

What the far-left is really advocating is a complete disarming of the people & abolition of the 2nd amendment to shave an unknown % of perhaps 1,000 gun deaths a year, while ignoring 30,000,000 gun deaths per year.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Somewhere East of Laramie
47,502 posts, read 33,534,760 times
Reputation: 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Sorry, I'm talking about the people that really run the country not the puppet officials that we elect every 2-4 years. If people want to believe everything that the government and media tell us on face value then that's fine but we'll all end up paying the price if we choose to continue every day to willingly give up freedoms and our money to big brother so that we can sleep easy under a false sense of security and safety.

I believe very little the government/media tells us, at least its face value. But what evidence do you have anyone's coming for the guns?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 02:43 PM
 
Location: annandale, va & slidell, la
4,721 posts, read 1,785,814 times
Reputation: 3914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...cs-maps-charts

some interesting stats and graphs regarding gun violence in America vs other places.

IMO we need stricter gun laws. What we have right now isn't working and the amount of gun deaths is staggering.
Zero chance of that. In fact carry-conceal laws are going 50-State soon. Get with the program.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 02:47 PM
 
1,618 posts, read 315,838 times
Reputation: 690
The urge to immediately "do something" after a tragedy is certainly understandable. But if it does not stop anything then it is "something" that is useless just to make people feel better. If a person with no criminal or mental history would be able to purchase a weapon in this country, or get one illegally from someone then no regulation will stop it. How they use it is the problem and how do you legislate that? This is horrible and the conversation will be difficult in the coming days and months.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 02:49 PM
 
Location: USA
5,371 posts, read 4,753,646 times
Reputation: 3585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
One can use a truck, boat, hammer, nails,etc.. anything can be used but guns (outside of hunting) have one purpose.

You can use a truck for so many positive things. Not so much when it comes to guns once you take away hunting from the equation.
I rarely hunt now. I target shoot, do sporting clays, and keep guns for self defense. Many compete in leagues, and attend courses. I have done both. Hunting is only one use.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 02:51 PM
 
Location: USA
5,371 posts, read 4,753,646 times
Reputation: 3585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
It's easy to understand how the far left is conned into believing this nonsense when you look at the cherry-picking nature of the facts presented and the obvious political bias disguised as scientific research.

Over 60% of gun deaths in the United States come from suicides. That number is thrown into the gun deaths figure to beef it up and make it seem shocking. Skimming through some of the articles about gun deaths, dealing specifically with the suicides, they now claim that's a good reason for taking away the 2nd amendment. They believe & claim as fact, that taking away people constitutional rights would lower suicides. What they don't tell you is that the UK has a similar suicide rate as the US and they have no access to guns. They just gulp down a bottle of acetaminophen instead. The government, geniuses that they are, passed a law making it illegal to sell family sized bottles. Guess what people do now? They buy 2-3 regular sized bottles & continue to kill themselves at the same rate. Japan, with almost no gun ownership has a higher suicide rate than the US. They like to drink bleach to commit suicide. Also of importance within these suicide numbers & not mentioned in these left-wing articles/research is the fact that the majority of these suicides are the elderly and people with terminal illnesses. If we had assisted suicides we could help the majority of people end their lives on their own terms and with dignity.

Of the remaining gun deaths, the true homicides, the vast majority are committed by criminals who got their guns illegally, and were used in the commission of a felony. The legal & licensed firearm owner is responsible for less than 10% of the remaining 35% of gun deaths in this country & then, many of those are self-defense and justified. Furthermore, the vast majority of "mass shootings" are gang/drug related & have nothing to do with the type of shooting we saw in Las Vegas. One gang shoots four members of another gang in Chicago & the far-left won't even mention it, until they conveniently package the numbers into overall "mass shooting" stats to make them appear more shocking.

What the far-left is really advocating is a complete disarming of the people & abolition of the 2nd amendment to shave an unknown % of perhaps 1,000 gun deaths a year, while ignoring 30,000,000 gun deaths per year.
This deserves to be repeated. Spot on!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 02:54 PM
 
26,193 posts, read 11,413,716 times
Reputation: 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Just facts that were widely reported in mainstream media and quickly swept under the rug and never talked about again after 9/11...the very next day. You need an awful big distraction to make the public forget about $2.3 trillion of our tax dollars that disappeared. And now we have yet another distraction to play on the public's emotions
That's the equivalent of spending $20 million to bribe a bank worker to give you the alarm codes and vault combination to a bank with $1 million on hand.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 02:56 PM
 
Location: The Windy City
4,433 posts, read 2,017,835 times
Reputation: 3565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...cs-maps-charts

some interesting stats and graphs regarding gun violence in America vs other places.

IMO we need stricter gun laws. What we have right now isn't working and the amount of gun deaths is staggering.
Chicago had some of the strictest gun laws in the nation, yet the firearm related murder rate was one of the highest.

When you regulate firearms, only the law abiding citizens are affected. The people who wish to do harm won't follow the law.

Regulating firearms isn't getting to the root of the problem. Treating mental illness is a good start.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top