Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 02:11 PM

72,958 posts, read 62,547,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Is there really anything that can be done effectively in these cities and still maintain peoples rights?

Most of the people don't respect family, church, the police or education. The ones that do try to get out of the hood.
Personally, I've never lived in the ghetto and don't want to be there. And if you are suggesting that we should abuse people's rights in order to get the crime down, I have to question your thinking. If it can be done to others, it can be done to me. And there is a time people where people's rights were abused and murder rates were still high. It's called Jim Crow. Houston, Birmingham, Memphis, Atlanta, all had high murder rates.

Most of the people? A large number, yes. I wouldn't say a majority. I would say alot of people just try to survive in that environment. Those who can get out do. Those who are hood rats, they don't care.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:13 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't need your sympathy. I just want some people to quit complaining about Black people. And I want to not have to worry about whether or not I'm looked down on, and the consequences that come with that.
He made his stance clear, if you are black with a problem, then the black community is responsible for fixing it. If you are not black, then the local, State or Federal government can help.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He made his stance clear, if you are black with a problem, then the black community is responsible for fixing it. If you are not black, then the local, State or Federal government can help.
Why would said person have such a mindset? Or is this statement a way of covering up for something else?

Old 10-05-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
That's not happening...

What I want is for them to fully embrace their racism. stop trying to hide behind sympathy and concern when it's really just an excuse to talk bad about Black folk.
Some people are racist. However, people who are bigots, that look down on Blacks, will look for reasons to justify it. The way I see it, Blacks have always been looked down on. I do feel that instead of looking for excuses for one's hate/looking down on Blacks, better to either change one's mindset, or just admit to being a bigot and not look for any justification for it.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:32 PM

Cities with worse murder rates than Chicago: St. Louis, Detroit, Memphis, New Orleans, Baltimore, Newark, Birmingham. Currently, Alabama has the 3rd highest murder rate in the USA. Missouri is 2nd. Louisiana is #1 in the nation for murder. Murder has been a major issue for a long time. This is nothing recent. Memphis was the murder capital of the USA in the 1900s. Jacksonville,FL had the nation's highest murder rate, 75 murders per 100,000, in 1926.

The #1 time, not the only time, but the biggest time there is outrage on both sides, is when it hits home. There is outrage when it drives away tourism. It doesn't garner as much outrage when it's locals in that immediate neighborhood getting murdered. If tourists get murdered or if some community that has historically had a low murder rate gets affected, then there is outrage. Basically, if a neighborhood has always been violent, then there isn't as much outrage.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
A conservative state with weak gun laws, Louisiana has seen a higher murder rate than any other state for the last 28 straight years with zero outrage from Neocons. Meanwhile, Chicago's murder rate continues to pale in comparison to some other cities and Neocons feign outrage and paint it as the murder capital, even though it's far from being such.
Maryland has one of the strictest gun laws in the nation. It's home to Baltimore, one of the most murderous cities in the USA. New Jersey has strict gun laws. Newark, Camden, very violent cities. Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming are very gun-friendly states and those states don't have high murder rates like Louisiana does. Vermont has some of the most lenient gun laws in the nation, as well as being Democratic-run, an interesting combination. It has a very low murder rate.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Year to date:

Shot & Killed 498
Shot & Wounded 2,395
Total Shot 2893

Last year there were 762 deaths from firearms in Chicago. The highest rate in 19yrs.

Why is the left not vocal and outraged at the number of gun deaths happening year after year in Chicago?
Same reason you don't hear many conservatives talk about this. It isn't affecting them. The people most affected by this are the ones who will express the most outrage. You might hear people who aren't affected by this talk about the murder rate in Chicago, but many do so only to disparage
1) Chicago
2) Democrats
3) Blacks

Old 10-05-2017, 05:42 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,643,677 times
Quote:
Same reason you don't hear many conservatives talk about this. It isn't affecting them. The people most affected by this are the ones who will express the most outrage. You might hear people who aren't affected by this talk about the murder rate in Chicago, but many do so only to disparage
1) Chicago
2) Democrats
3) Blacks
I agree.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I agree.
And the thing is, Chicago isn't the only city in America with a murder problem, nor is it the worst in terms of per capita murder rates. St. Louis, New Orleans, Memphis, Baltimore, Detroit, Newark, we have other cities with more decay and per capita violence than Chicago. But Chicago is the #1 city used as an example. I figured this example would go away once Obama was out of office. Many people have used Chicago has a euphemism for Obama.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:27 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,643,677 times
Quote:
And the thing is, Chicago isn't the only city in America with a murder problem, nor is it the worst in terms of per capita murder rates. St. Louis, New Orleans, Memphis, Baltimore, Detroit, Newark, we have other cities with more decay and per capita violence than Chicago. But Chicago is the #1 city used as an example. I figured this example would go away once Obama was out of office. Many people have used Chicago has a euphemism for Obama.
Absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.