Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 05:08 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
1) It's to avoid double taxation of income
I know that is why state taxes are deductible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
2) I thought states always know better than federal govt. It's always about giving money back to states as they know how to spend better. Why are we suddenly against that now?
I'm not, as I said already. I do agree it would stink to pay taxes on money you never even have access to because another government entity has declared it theirs. However, I do think it needs a cap or a standard amount based on your income. That would inspire residents to demand their state and local politicians practice a bit more fiscal restraint.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Then Obama added twice as much debt on his watch as Bush did with ZERO serious efforts to curb it.
The debt doubled under Obama, that would include debt accumulated under Bush2, Clinton, Bush1, Reagan, Carter and on down the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 05:20 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
You yourself are guilty once again of playing the party game.

Obama campaigned on deficits mattering. On large deficits being unpatriotic and un-American. Then Obama added twice as much debt on his watch as Bush did with ZERO serious efforts to curb it. He in fact helped play on the hysteria that the sequester (which was miniscule in terms of total budget with total budget actually growing under it) would kill people and damage the world.

Bush = Obama on budgets.
The deficit shrank every year after 09 when Obama was President

Old 10-05-2017, 05:22 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Mississippi and Alabama are hell holes. Aka failed states. Aka LOWEST QOL in the Western World. How bout we play fair and stop paying out California's federal tax payments to the Welfare Queen states?

Oh right, because then they'd be in developing status. Just a knotch below what they are.

Talk about scamming the system. And they're still god awful states to boot. Guess a leopard don't change its spots, don't matter how much welfare you throw at it.
Agreed, they are the states with the highest percentage of blacks in the nation. Let 'em fend for themselves.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I know that is why state taxes are deductible.
Addressing this at the federal level is impossible, if you are in a low tax state the only way they can make it fair under the current policy is by raising taxes. If a state wants to gouge their residents so be it but that shouldn't have any affect on the taxes someone else is paying in another state.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The deficit shrank every year after 09 when Obama was President
Firstly debt and deficit are two different things. The deficit is an annual accounting of how much revenue is brought in and how much was spent. The debt is an accounting of all outstanding debts with the exception of unfunded liabilities like SS benifits. For example during the Clinton administration the .com economy was rolling along and there was a huge surplus in SS. SS was written an IOU and those funds were used in the general fund to reduce the deficit. That IOU gets tacked onto the debt hence the reason Clinton "balanced" the budget with the debt increasing each and every year.

Secondly trying to use 2009 with a deficit of something like 1.3 trillion as a baseline to say the deficit was reduced under Obama is absolutely absurd. If you want an analogy suppose you are putting about $4k on a credit card from 2000 until 2008. In 2009 you have emergency and need to put $13K on it. Declaring you reduced the use of the credit card in 2010 because you only spent $12K is absurd.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Firstly debt and deficit are two different things. The deficit is an annual accounting of how much revenue is brought in and how much was spent. The debt is an accounting of all outstanding debts with the exception of unfunded liabilities like SS benifits. For example during the Clinton administration the .com economy was rolling along and there was a huge surplus in SS. SS was written an IOU and those funds were used in the general fund to reduce the deficit. That IOU gets tacked onto the debt hence the reason Clinton "balanced" the budget with the debt increasing each and every year.

Secondly trying to use 2009 with a deficit of something like 1.3 trillion as a baseline to say the deficit was reduced under Obama is absolutely absurd. If you want an analogy suppose you are putting about $4k on a credit card from 2000 until 2008. In 2009 you have emergency and need to put $13K on it. Declaring you reduced the use of the credit card in 2010 because you only spent $12K is absurd.
I know that debt and deficit are different, that's why I didn't mention the debt, there Washington​ a budget deficit every year of Obama's presidency, but it shrank every year, but was still in the red. I acknowledged that

Old 10-05-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:

See my next post, I know the difference between debt and deficit.

And you can't compare government debt to household debt, when the government is it's own currency issuer and has the ability to raise taxes, which a household has neither

Old 10-05-2017, 06:44 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
The debt doubled under Obama, that would include debt accumulated under Bush2, Clinton, Bush1, Reagan, Carter and on down the line.
That debt accumulated under the GOP congress that controlled revenue and spending.

Now you know.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:52 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
A conservative discussing deficits and debt is like Trump talking about humility. Conservatives only care about the deficit and debt when Democrats are in power.

Whatever conservatives say about the debt and deficit should go in one ear and out the other. Conservatives have no credibility on that issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies