Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 11:23 PM

5,751 posts, read 2,758,215 times

Advertisements

Science..please. Most likely it's good for you and a lot of virtue signaling, *******, sjws are just trying to interfere with your liberty. Light up and puff away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 11:53 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,892,304 times
I know a lot of people who have switched to rolling their own with natural tobacco. The biggest problem with smoking is that regular cigarettes are loaded with lots of added chemicals.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:14 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,065,842 times
A big problem is the use of the phrase "Smoking causes cancer"
It obviously does not 'cause' cancer or every smoker would have cancer
There are negative provable results from smoking such as it immediately causes a rise in ones blood pressure, for example
There can be many reasons why it may contribute to the susceptibility for myriad health problems but that one phrase makes it too easy to reject /deny/use as a defense about the whole issue

Old 10-05-2017, 06:30 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,714,601 times
The simple answer is that some people are predisposed to it and smoking will increase your chances whether you are predisposed or not. From that perspective there's no debate to be had really. Just about everyone agrees on that. The part where the "politics and other controversies" gets involved is on the issue of second hand smoke, how dangerous it really is, and how militant we need to be in protecting people from it. I personally think we take things a little too far but I have no great passion about it because I don't smoke. I was a light, one pack a week smoker for a good part of my life but I quit cold turkey about 7 years ago and never looked back. I do think smokers get screwed though. It is a legal product but there is almost nowhere left that is legal for people to smoke it at. Not even the privacy of their own homes in some circumstances.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:53 AM

16,119 posts, read 10,263,505 times
As a former smoker I can tell you the two reasons I kept smoking despite the obvious risks:

If it were like sky diving and the risks stop immediately after you quit that would be one thing. But we all know of people who go through the agony of quitting and still develop lung cancer. In fact 80% of all lung cancer are non-smokers, the vast majority were former smokers.

The belief that if you smoke you will get lung cancer is simply not true. 24.4 percent for male “heavy smokers” defined as smoking more than five cigarettes per day; 18.5 percent for women develop lung cancer.

https://www.verywell.com/what-percen...cancer-2248868

If you ask yourself an honest question you may see the reason people keep smoking: How many people do you know who smoked for decades? Every one of us know dozens. Now ask yourself how many of them developed lung cancer?

Old 10-05-2017, 08:09 AM

15,798 posts, read 21,311,780 times
It's a combo of genetic factors and smoking. And lung cancer isn't the only health detriment of smoking: it causes heart disease, lung issues, and contributes to other cancers.

I could care less if you kill yourself. Have at it. But relatives who chain smoked and never got cancer (though there's still time - most are in their 50s or 60s at this point) around the kids because they cared more about their next fix than anyone else contributed to *my* cancer. I've never smoked as so much as one cigarette, and yet I got a cancer (not lung cancer) that's cause has been linked to smoking and secondhand smoke. I was 23 when diagnosed, 18 when I first show symptoms, and by any rationality should never have developed cancer. And yet I did, and my only real risk factor was being around secondhand smoke. I'm now part of a national study to that effect.

Interestingly, my grandmother who passed away from lung cancer would throw a cow if anyone smoked around the kids. She refused. She knew the risks, and while she was willing to take them on for herself, she wouldn't for the kids.

So sure, if you want to smoke, have at it. But don't you dare do it anywhere near others thinking it's OK- particularly kids who cannot consent.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:13 AM

9 posts, read 7,905 times
Patient Stories | Lung Cancer network

This is a collection of stories of people who were diagnosed with LC. Its mind boggling to read how many of them werent smokers, never touched a cigarette in their life, etc. Some of them mentioned how they felt that it was incredibly unfair that they led such healthy lives then all of a sudden find out they are in stage 3/4 lung cancer.

Someone earlier mentioned that its all a matter of probability. That smoking isnt a guarantee of cancer but greatly increases the chances. Well it appears many people defy the odds that are supposed to be in their favor and end up with LC anyways.

Ill be honest and say that i cant stand smoke. I cant be around it. When i walk by a person that is smoking outside and i happen to accidentally inhale some of it it makes my lungs feel tight and almost feel short of breath.

But looking at the number of non smokers who led healthy lives succumb to LC still makes me skeptical. It apppears at least to me that genetics may play a larger role in it than external factors (cigarettes) do.

Now the downside is that theres no way to prove this theory. We cant observe an alternate universe where all the smokers who have LC in this universe dont smoke in the other one and see if they still develop it.

As i mentioned in my op, i feel that repeated trauma to tissues may have something to do with it. I had an uncle who had oral cancer. When he would brush his teeth there was a spot in his mouth where his gum was exposed due to having his rear molar removed. As a result whenever hed brush the toothbrush would constantly rub up against that part of his gums which would often cause irritation and canker sores. So for a week or so hed avoid brushing in that spot until it healed. Eventually an open sore formed in that spot that wouldnt heal. After 2 months it didnt go away so he had a biopsy done and it was cancer. He never smoked or used chewing tobacco. Although i can see how using those tobacco pouches could cause trauma in the mouth tissue and have the same result.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:22 AM

15,798 posts, read 21,311,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgic_thoughts View Post
Patient Stories | Lung Cancer network

This is a collection of stories of people who were diagnosed with LC. Its mind boggling to read how many of them werent smokers, never touched a cigarette in their life, etc. Some of them mentioned how they felt that it was incredibly unfair that they led such healthy lives then all of a sudden find out they are in stage 3/4 lung cancer.

Someone earlier mentioned that its all a matter of probability. That smoking isnt a guarantee of cancer but greatly increases the chances. Well it appears many people defy the odds that are supposed to be in their favor and end up with LC anyways.

Ill be honest and say that i cant stand smoke. I cant be around it. When i walk by a person that is smoking outside and i happen to accidentally inhale some of it it makes my lungs feel tight and almost feel short of breath.

But looking at the number of non smokers who led healthy lives succumb to LC still makes me skeptical. It apppears at least to me that genetics may play a larger role in it than external factors (cigarettes) do.

Now the downside is that theres no way to prove this theory. We cant observe an alternate universe where all the smokers who have LC in this universe dont smoke in the other one and see if they still develop it.

As i mentioned in my op, i feel that repeated trauma to tissues may have something to do with it. I had an uncle who had oral cancer. When he would brush his teeth there was a spot in his mouth where his gum was exposed due to having his rear molar removed. As a result whenever hed brush the toothbrush would constantly rub up against that part of his gums which would often cause irritation and canker sores. So for a week or so hed avoid brushing in that spot until it healed. Eventually an open sore formed in that spot that wouldnt heal. After 2 months it didnt go away so he had a biopsy done and it was cancer. He never smoked or used chewing tobacco. Although i can see how using those tobacco pouches could cause trauma in the mouth tissue and have the same result.
Only around 10%-15% of lung cancer cases are nonsmokers. Sometimes those stats consider people who quit 20-30 years before. The reason you hear so much about lung cancer among nonsmokers is they tend to be more vocal because of the lack of stigma.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:25 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,038,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I know a lot of people who have switched to rolling their own with natural tobacco. The biggest problem with smoking is that regular cigarettes are loaded with lots of added chemicals.
Yes yes yes, if you are going to smoke at least to it the most natural way, I assume it must be much cheaper also(someone please respond if you have some numbers on cost savings). In terms of chemicals increasing the "badness" of cigarettes, by how many percentage are we guessing, 50% worse, 100%(double), 1000%...

I believe nicotine is added for the addictive element than some sort of ammonia is added to increase the effects of nicotine. What a crazy concept, instead of trying to mass appeal to a bigger market, you just get the tiny minority market extremely hooked.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:37 AM

13,678 posts, read 8,948,226 times
Lung cancer was rare prior to WWI, when cigarettes became widely available to soldiers. I once read an article about how a physician, in 1900 or so, traveled some 30 miles in order to see an autopsy of a person that had lung cancer, it was that rare.

Here is one article I found:

https://academic.oup.com/toxsci/arti...of-Lung-Cancer

Of course, it was not until decades later that a link between smoking and lung cancer was found.

I assume that some are more disposed to developing lung cancer than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies