Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2017, 03:07 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,796,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
And the opportunity to risk your life for others at any time, day or night.

Firefighters earn every penny of their compensation.
Being a cop is way harder, sorry, and cops aren't even paid more they make about the same.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:09 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
For the longest, I thought it was a southern thing. I didn't knew it was a black thing and racist.
Hey, I'm white and from the Midwest and I don't know anyone who would ever turn their back on fried chicken or watermelon.

I have no idea where that black stereotype even came from. If the masses eat something and a group eats that and a lot of other food, how does it even become a black stereotype in the first place?

Old 10-08-2017, 03:11 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
All the black people I know take pride in their own fried chicken, and will invite everyone over to taste their recipes, which are awesome. I got my fried chicken recipe from a friend who is from Jamaica. Best fried chicken I ever had. The two main things that people from all cultures and backgrounds can come together on, is food and music, and it's a shame we have some people trying to destroy that kinship. It makes me wonder if some people don't want everyone to come together in peace in harmony. I've noticed when a black guy starts to get along with mostly white people, and starts to like "white" people music, comic books, etc, his own people will start to bully him and call him a coon, uncle Tom, etc. And the white people who like the rap, and hip-pop night clubs, and have more black friends than white, will be called wiggers by their own people.
And sports. Food, music, and sports.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:14 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,669,634 times
And if you don't think bringing a watermelon with a pink bow tie, to a mostly black battalion, is a deliberate attempt to create a hostile work environment.......!

Old 10-08-2017, 03:16 PM

672 posts, read 697,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The disturbing part of the story is that this guy was fired.

Considering he was a probationary firefighter, I think it is safe to assume that he didn't do this with racist intentions... There is no way someone who isn't established, is going to walk into a predominantly black engine and intentionally do something like this. *unless he really doesn't want this job at all, or he doesn't expect others to watch his back.*

It looks like the rookie essentially hazed the entire veteran fire house.

So if the guy was an aggressively offensive racist, why is he trying to work in a 90% black firehouse? Doesn't make any sense, does it?

I don't think being offensive was his intention.

Now if the investigation revealed that his initial reasons was to offend people, or intend this as a joke; then yes he should have been let go.

The bottom line this new person was not liked and gave them a reason to fire him since the union is not backing him. I don't believe at all
"racial insensitivity" is the reason why they wanted to let him go. It is pretty sad and unfair that they had to make him appear to be the bad guy.
You'd be surprised at how empty minded people are sometimes. Making bad decisions/mistakes doesn't have an age limit. The consequences hurt the worst sometimes, from something that seemed inconsequential. While bigger bad decisions/mistakes sometimes have little fall-out.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:16 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
No, katygirl68 you're smarter than that.

I'm comparing the engaging in actions that could be seen a divisive in the workplace, especially on a probationary period were as a new employee, peer relationships have yet to be solidly established with current workers. It's in a new employees best interest to walk a tight line during this time.

How could you guarantee that someone wouldn't be fired for wearing a BLM shirt to work? They may not be the reason that is stated for their termination but it couldn't be ruled out either. It's making a political statement in the workplace. That's not smart during probation.Can you guarantee that this guy was fired solely because of the watermelon and not an accumulation of other things we don't know about?

As to whether he should have been fired or reprimanded for the incident that's a different topic. I'm only offering an opinion on whether it was good judgement on the fired guy's part.
The stated reason for his firing was that they have zero tolerance for discriminatory behavior. They also stated that he went to introduce himself to his new coworkers, so obviously there was no prior relationship. He didn't know them, and they didn't know him.

And yes, I can guarantee you would not be fired for the BLM shirt. You're smarter than that too.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:19 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Being a cop is way harder, sorry, and cops aren't even paid more they make about the same.
Praise of firefighters is not intended as denigration of cops. -_-

Old 10-08-2017, 03:21 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This guy brought a watermelon on his first day to work at a firehouse that is 90% black? That's not a high level of judgement displayed. Chances are he's a grade A wiseass who would have been more trouble than he's worth and they were right to fire him.
To tell you the truth, I never knew a watermelon was ever associated with black people till I read it here on CD. I am retired and never knew.

I didn't ever know that any food could be offensive.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:24 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,669,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
To tell you the truth, I never knew a watermelon was ever associated with black people till I read it here on CD. I am retired and never knew.

I didn't ever know that any food could be offensive.
Plenty of racist caricatures, from back in the day, of 'sambos' eating watermelon. That, plus fried chicken, became the two biggest stereotypes of African Americans.....!

Old 10-08-2017, 03:29 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Some foods I never eat in public -- corn on the cob and watermelon are just two. Too messy.. People are looking for ways to be offended now.
It is how you cut the watermelon. If it is cut in a small V like the shape of a pizza it is easier to eat. Corn just needs corn holders put in each side of the cob to hold it. Not messy at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.