Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 06:06 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What if a black man brought a bunch of crackers to his fellow white colleagues. Would white people find that offensive? All I know is that as of right now. We live in a nation of high insensitivity now. Everyone needs to be cautious about what they so, do for their actions regardless of where they are. If word gets out, people will loose their jobs, and having their livelihood ruined or upended. Employers want to protect themselves from lawsuits, damages by employees for race issues. The black firefighters can sue the department for hiring such employee who made a racist symbolic object. while employees want protection due to employers who will try to find an excuse for firing for one reason, or any reason at all.

As for me personally, the firefighter should have not been fired, however he was on probation which I clearly understand. But the firefighter should have got a warning, and made an apology to his fellow colleagues. Regardless of race, in the line of duty. Men and women must work together to save lives, because at the end of the day. We all bleed red.
White people can take a joke...black folk can't seem to do that.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:08 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Here in my state of NY. The only way to file a lawsuit against an employer is either if you are sexually harassed, wage claims or discriminated against when being fired. Other than that, that's about it. In some states, employers have more rights and leverage than employees. Thanks for the agreement. I actually made a youtube video about age of insensitivity. Folks must be careful these days, because employers are not playing anymore. This is why unions are more important than ever.
Yep. Agreed.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:20 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Who the heck eats mayo sandwiches? That would have been just as WTF is the butt hurt about.

Some people are offended by air, apparently. Get some spine.
I'm Black and mayo sandwiches (with hot sauce) got me through some tough times.

The sad fact is that most Blacks aren't even aware that watermelons are a true symbol of our heritage as WE brought them over here with us from Africa. Fried chicken and Kool-Aid are offensive but watermelon should never be.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:23 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
White people can take a joke...black folk can't seem to do that.
Do you think that might have something to do with blacks being the butt of jokes for hundreds of years in this country? Only in the past few generations have we ever enjoyed the luxury of openly teasing your whiteness.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:37 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,769 times
Quote:
Microgression too much? Also note, that the firefighter was on probation still as a rookie. If the firefighther was a veteran on the department, most likely he would have not gotten fired for such action, most likely a warning, write up or some sort of suspension at most. When on Probation, the Union and HR cant do much for guys on probation period when such incidents occur. Probation period, one has to be on good terms to get ahead.

At will employment, an employer can fire anyone for any reason if job related or not, or even off the job. It happened to me due to social media. This is the reason why Unions are so important now these days. Sometimes people say things out of context, anger, or do something that does not seem with out knowledge that can be deemed offensive to a small group or larger. We need more Unions more than ever.
Meh, again, I personally don't have time to guess people intentions about racist gestures or jokes. People get caught doing racist things and then play stupid. Call it snowflaking if you want, some of us are beyond the whole rehab-a-racist time wasting exercises.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:39 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Meh, again, I personally don't have time to guess people intentions about racist gestures or jokes. People get caught doing racist things and then play stupid. Call it snowflaking if you want, some of us are beyond the whole rehab-a-racist time wasting exercises.
Then maybe you should never be a cop. Can you imagine an officer with your attitude? shoot first, no questions asked.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:42 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
there has got to be more to this... than that.
(then the bringing of the melon, like this guys demeanor, complaints about him, etc, he after all was working there, albeit still on probation)...

Like, I kinda wonder about your username, myself, OP (like is there more to it? and this is not a personal attack, I am truly wondering)-
the description of mine is on my public profile...

Old 10-09-2017, 07:05 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Then maybe you should never be a cop. Can you imagine an officer with your attitude? shoot first, no questions asked.
True dat. Got no time to weed out those that are truly innocent...everyone gets knocked upside the head.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:06 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Do you think that might have something to do with blacks being the butt of jokes for hundreds of years in this country? Only in the past few generations have we ever enjoyed the luxury of openly teasing your whiteness.
Not sure but it is evident that black folks cannot accept being teased while white folks can laugh at themselves.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:10 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I'm Black and mayo sandwiches (with hot sauce) got me through some tough times.

The sad fact is that most Blacks aren't even aware that watermelons are a true symbol of our heritage as WE brought them over here with us from Africa. Fried chicken and Kool-Aid are offensive but watermelon should never be.
All white people I know eat fried chicken - why is that food owned by blacks? Hell, if there's ever a large gathering of people, I'd think buckets of chicken are the go-to food.

My mom worked in the office of a plant that was probably 70% white/25% black...the employees worked in heat and drank as much Kool-Aid as the office workers could make. I'm guessing someone now would put that on social media claiming the company was racist for offering Kool-Aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies