Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 10:24 AM

1,330 posts, read 696,394 times

Advertisements

I pledge allegiance to the flag (Sorry what, I'm saying that I'm on the side of a piece of woven cloth, not the actual country then?)

of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands (we aren't a true republic, more of a democratic republic)

One nation, Under God (Not true, violation of the first Amendment, was added in the 50's, and as an Atheist, this is bull**** that this is still there)

Indivisible (Civil war, anyone? How about the huge divide in America now?)

with liberty and justice for all (mostly the poor/middle class. Rich folks and corrupt politicians walk free)

Yeah, sorry this propaganda poem is a meaningless chant. If you want to recite it great. If you don't, great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 11:01 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,526,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
He should try a Mexican school. Or maybe on line school.
Why?

Old 10-09-2017, 11:40 AM

1,330 posts, read 696,394 times
A lovely quote from 1943 Supreme Court Justice Jackson "To believe that patriotism will not flourish if patriotic ceremonies are voluntary and spontaneous instead of a compulsory routine is to make an unflattering estimate of the appeal of our institutions to free minds."

Screw the "Pledge" and all the hollow nationalistic BS that goes with it. If you have a love of country and you want to display it, great. If you don't (or just don't care), then that's fine too. I'm an American. That doesn't mean I have to make a pledge or sing songs or display the flag or whatever to make me "American".

Old 10-09-2017, 11:49 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,619,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
We are told if we want to fly we have to give up some of our constitutional rights. If the school rule says students have to stand for the P of L what is the difference. Attend another school where you can follow their rules. Meet the standard of conduct or GTFO.
nope public schools are bound by the state law. Otherwise they could say students must genuflect too.

state law decides the rules. Me for schools the pledge should be ended it is a hang over from the cold war.

But if it is required , then i like everyone standing and showing respect. Nothing to do with the US flag itself, but simply one should remain polite and respectful regardless of the nation. It is just manners.

Now if someone is protesting some grievance, well of course of absolutely of course they can take a knee etc. This was decided back around the vietnam war....

1st amendment and all that.

By the way nobody cared until trumpy tried to divide the USA even further by making a big deal of this.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:53 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,540,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Apparently this wanna be viral star had pulled this stunt 'hundreds' of times before without incident.

Lawsuit: Teen expelled for sitting for Pledge of Allegiance - ABC News
I'm actually not a big fan of the pledge, and I view it differently than how I view standing for the anthem.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:18 PM

4,793 posts, read 2,783,911 times
Default Bits o' history

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
nope public schools are bound by the state law. Otherwise they could say students must genuflect too.

state law decides the rules. Me for schools the pledge should be ended it is a hang over from the cold war.

But if it is required , then i like everyone standing and showing respect. Nothing to do with the US flag itself, but simply one should remain polite and respectful regardless of the nation. It is just manners.

The state may require it, but individual students - usually for religious reasons - cannot be forced to stand, recite the pledge, etc. Some schools (& some denominations? - I'm not clear on that) facilitate or ask for the non-observant students to go to library or study hall or somewhere else.

If it's for religious reasons, then the students probably never have recited the Pledge nor stood for the anthem. It's one of those nurture things - & a lot of people suffered in order for the US courts to recognize the individual's right to not participate in these public rituals. That goes right back to the US Revolutionary War, the Civil War, WWI, & probably goes all the way back to the Puritans & the old sod. The religious beliefs that motivate that go back to the Old Testament, as I recall - probably in their Christian incarnation, though.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:08 AM

316 posts, read 213,880 times
Im no GOP and no one should be ma made to stand or whatever or get in trouble at school for not standing, I feel kids her age and younger adult have no clue about history or the real reasons

They choose to emulate NFL players and worship other media wear T-shirts or movie stars etc yet saying the Pledge or anything to do with the flag has become an anathema. It took Donald Trump to say something about THEM before they did it. Where were they during Michael Brown Phillando Castile Trayvon Martin Tamir Rice, CHarleston shootings, etc?

Are they aware in some third world countries she would likely be married at this age or betrothed with no chance at graduation or college. .Yea You gotta right to not like this country You gotta right to not stand but don't do it because some sports star thinks it means something. And consider how you are far better off here.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:36 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,912,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
We are told if we want to fly we have to give up some of our constitutional rights. If the school rule says students have to stand for the P of L what is the difference. Attend another school where you can follow their rules. Meet the standard of conduct or GTFO.
These two are not the same at all. The Supreme Court has ruled on this issue and the school was in the wrong. In West Virginia State Board of Education vs. Barnette, the SC ruled that under the protections of the First Amendment, students cannot be forced to salute the American flag, pledge allegiance to it, or any other symbol. This also goes for the National Anthem. That's why the student has been allowed back in school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_V...on_v._Barnette

Old 10-10-2017, 06:47 AM

15,837 posts, read 21,369,827 times
It's very clear by these comments who has not read the article.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:56 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,686,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Apparently this wanna be viral star had pulled this stunt 'hundreds' of times before without incident.

Lawsuit: Teen expelled for sitting for Pledge of Allegiance - ABC News
SCOTUS ruled back in the 50s that neither students nor anyone else can be compelled to recite the pledge.

If she's done it "hundreds of times before" she has only done what thousands of kids have been doing for decades.

School's gonna lose this one, BIG-TIME.

All you Sunday supreme court judges should know this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies