Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 07:39 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
How will they be identified before being institutionalized?
Like you said, Mr. Obama, they are "bitter" people, "who cling to their guns and religion."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 07:45 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,054,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Leave the math to the professionals. Millions of people own a gun. Millions own more than one. During 2008 millions of people were fired. Half of marriages end in divorce and people break up daily.

All of these things happen every day to people and they don’t go on a murder spree.
fwiw, I am a professional data scientist and your assertion is irrelevant. The predictive model I described would attempt to identify the traits/characteristics most closely associated with people who perpetrate mass murder. I would postulate that ownership of 50+ assault rifles with all the psycho accessories such as bump stock and high capacity ammunition would place one squarely into that category.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Whenever we have a gun massacre like Vegas...democrats want gun control and republicans want more spent on mental health, which was not in trumpcare. In fact it would have taken money away. Many of the homeless are on the streets because of mental illness. They need to be treated in a facility.
What is "trumpcare?" There is no such thing. There is only Obamacare, which is called that because it was totally created in the Obama White House, under secrecy, by hand picked, so-called "experts," and then delivered to the House for passage (to make it appear that it conformed to the Constitutional requirement that all laws originate in the House). The White House has no authority to make law.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
When anti-psychotic medications were developed, they allowed many who lived in institutions to live in the community with support from community mental health centers.

Reagan's Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act repealed Carter's community health legislation in favor of block grants to states.

These block grants then got siphoned off into other endeavors.
And your source is ...?

Old 10-09-2017, 07:51 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Talking What is the Republican Solution for Mental Health Care?

I dunno...

Put a psychotic narcissistic fool in the White House, maybe?

"Lead by example"

Old 10-09-2017, 08:04 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I have stated it over and over again. Reinstitute mental health care institutes that the republicans abandoned and shut down. In fact if you have been reading this thread how dare you even claim no liberal" has even offered a solution. If you do than you are a liar.

One thing is for sure no GOP has offered a solution on this thread nor even shown a mote of care. Sire a post to prove me wrong.
I agree with you and said so early on.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:11 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Every time there is a mass shooting, the NRA/Republicans point to mental health as the cause. But Republicans also say health care is a privilege, not a right. So what is their solution for those suffering with mental health issues which, left untreated, result in hundreds shot every year? While they think the answer to every shooting is more guns, has a Republican provided an actual solution to address those suffering with mental health issues?
Ah, but many of them were on medications for their mental health issues. They were being treated by poisons from Big Pharma. Maybe we need to go back to putting them in institutions? Also, we had some Scottish poster in the KS forum advocating for a gun ban who said that in Scotland they had banned guns and it resulted in less murder. I did some research which indicated now crime was increasing, murder by knife was right up there.

Sadly, many of the most disturbed will not go for help when they are mentally ill. With everyone's "rights", the minority ruling, etc., they can't be made to go for help.

https://www.cchrint.org/school-shooters/

https://www.naturalnews.com/039752_m...pressants.html

Big list of drug-induced killers

Timeline for deinstitutionalization: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ealth-america/

So, what ya' got on that?

Old 10-09-2017, 08:15 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I have stated it over and over again. Reinstitute mental health care institutes that the republicans abandoned and shut down. In fact if you have been reading this thread how dare you even claim no liberal" has even offered a solution. If you do than you are a liar.

One thing is for sure no GOP has offered a solution on this thread nor even shown a mote of care. Sire a post to prove me wrong.
Read your history. Deinstitutionalization was part of the Civil Rights movement.
There were lawsuits and several movies made about the deplorable conditions and public sentiment ran high in favor of deinstitutionalization. There was a push for local, community based outreach programs from both sides of the political parties.

Sure Reagan signed the bill just like Bill Clinton signed NAFTA yet NAFTA was designed during the previous Bush administration.

Both parties always have involvement in anything major and usually these major changes take more than one Presidential term to get enacted.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:18 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,452,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Mental illness and criminal insanity are not equal
Interesting point.

I am all for mental health services freely available. I wish there was some way to convince the public that there is no stigma to receiving counseling or medication. I believe the stigma is the greatest barrier to people getting help (aside from cost).

But now we have the added threat of taking a person's rights away (in this case the right to purchase a weapon which one's neighbors and friends would have no difficulty obtaining), which simply magnifies the stigma. No one who truly needs it will seek help under those circumstances.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:30 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,651 times
Create a pre-crime unit staffed with cops and psychics.
(Minority Report)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies