Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Knowingly exposing others to HIV no longer a felony in California -- How do you feel about this?
Great News! 2 2.53%
Probably a good idea 6 7.59%
Probably a bad idea 5 6.33%
Nuts! 66 83.54%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 07:12 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

This is disgusting. I don't care if there are drugs out there to control HIV. I don't want to be on those drugs. I don't want to get the virus at all. I refuse to date anyone who has HIV. I have considered California as a place to live, just not around the LA area. After this, I don't think I could live there. What is the governor thinking? Where is his mind at? Who would think it is okay to expose anyone to HIV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 07:00 AM

774 posts, read 1,778,477 times
I originally posted this poll to "San Diego". Before this thread got moved, the last results I saw were

0, 0, 2, 20

I wonder why the elected officials would promote something so overwhelmingly unpopular?

Old 10-12-2017, 10:49 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

They should reduce murder the same way. As many who find out, will be killing to get their justice for threatening their life and eventually taking it.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:51 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
If their excuse is because there are drugs to control it, then shooting someone shouldn't be a felony either since there are surgeries to stop the bleeding.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:30 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,876 times
[quote=Dbones;49800837]If their excuse is because there are drugs to control it, then shooting someone shouldn't be a felony either since there are surgeries to stop the bleeding.[/QUOTE

I agree just because there are drugs is not a valid argument.

Let's talk about Typhoid Mary.

Yes she really existed and people died from the food she prepared. She was a rare asymptomatic carrier.

Despite being warned not to work in a kitchen she continued to do so and killed again.

She was eventually locked up against her will.

Her case I view differently.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:26 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Sigh. This is the problem. The idiotic and LOUD extreme ends of both sides are basically in a race to see which side can come up with the most dumbass destructive ideas first. That leaves little option for most normal people to do anything except try to figure out a way to keep each side's idiots in some kind of equilibrium with each other so that they cancel out. Problem is, the more polarized we get, the harder it is to maintain the balance and you start ending up with moronic s**t like this slipping through the cracks. Like... wtf, most of the time you can make out some sort of reasoning thought process - some sort of logic... even if it is flawed, but this is just straight up catering to sociopathic HIV carriers alone. How does that even begin to make sense, politically or otherwise?

In short, it's nuts!

Old 10-14-2017, 05:44 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Sigh. This is the problem. The idiotic and LOUD extreme ends of both sides are basically in a race to see which side can come up with the most dumbass destructive ideas first. That leaves little option for most normal people to do anything except try to figure out a way to keep each side's idiots in some kind of equilibrium with each other so that they cancel out. Problem is, the more polarized we get, the harder it is to maintain the balance and you start ending up with moronic s**t like this slipping through the cracks. Like... wtf, most of the time you can make out some sort of reasoning thought process - some sort of logic... even if it is flawed, but this is just straight up catering to sociopathic HIV carriers alone. How does that even begin to make sense, politically or otherwise?

In short, it's nuts!
If it could be shown the law could be enforced and really helped prevent transmission then you are right.

I site the case of typhoid Mary as locking her up really did prevent her from causing unwitting people to fall ill and some to die.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:00 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
California is beyond hope or repair.

It's gone off the cliff, folks, and it's over.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:48 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is disgusting. I don't care if there are drugs out there to control HIV. I don't want to be on those drugs. I don't want to get the virus at all. I refuse to date anyone who has HIV. I have considered California as a place to live, just not around the LA area. After this, I don't think I could live there. What is the governor thinking? Where is his mind at? Who would think it is okay to expose anyone to HIV?
No one thinks it’s okay, it simply shouldn’t be a felony. You can’t be charged with a felony for knowingly exposing people to ANY OTHER DISEASE, even the fatal ones. Isolating HIV is plainly discriminatory.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:57 AM
Her

298 posts, read 868,787 times
Well that was a disturbing read. I believe all blood is tested after donation, but I think it's sick to walk into a blood bank knowing you're HIV positive and keeping mum. A close friend needed a transfusion years ago and getting infected was his single biggest fear. I can't wrap my head around someone jeopardizing the health of others because "hey! It's not a death sentence anymore!" Absolutely disturbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies