Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 09:53 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
News: "EPA moves to repeal Obama’s Clean Power Plan coal regs"

Disappointing, but not a surprise given the character of our current leadership.

As well as a some others here I can remember when the Cuyahoga River caught fire (more than once), and when Love Canal had to be abandoned. Thankfully we (thus far) currently have regulations in place to reduce these toxic disasters and protect our people.

As with a few others who post here I have lived in China, and witnessed some of the pollution problems poor regulation can cause in a modern economy. Americans tend to mock China for it's poor air and water quality, 'holier than thou' seems to be the attitude.

Bad environmental policy for the sake of a cheap fast buck is dangerous to us, and our children. Donald the Trump and his Necromancer Scott Pruitt are hell bent upon churning up this country into a waste heap to enrich the chosen few who live in gated communities and private estates.

They are aiming to turn our beautiful country into a cesspit like China or Russia, for the sake of the buck.
It would seem so, yes. Our POTUS is mentally stuck in the 80's era. Why I say this is because I'm a 70's child and I remember hearing about how the EPA had too much power, which seemed to be the common consensus. I wasn't a current event type teenager, but still I heard things that stuck with me. Some of the things Donald Trump says and does I can pin point to that point and time. The EPA, is one of those things.

The Guardian: EPA's Formative Years, 1970-1973

"Moreover, in attempting over the past quarter century to make a cleaner environment a reality, EPA has found itself regulating the personal conduct of individual citizens."

The E.P.A. Has Gone Rogue

"How unreasonable, though, that Congress must pass a law to stop the E.P.A. from implementing policies Congress never voted on or approved."
_________

The EPA is not a bad idea, but what it is actually doing, could be bad and sometimes it takes a crook, to catch a crook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 09:56 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
EPA moves to repeal Obama

We need to prop up other dead/dying industries like whale oil and incandescent light bulbs too. Pruitt needs to go back to his fracked over and earthquake ravaged Oklahoma, never to be seen again.
Funny thing is that while we seem to be insistent or sticking with fossil fuels, the Chinese are putting up the equivalent size of a soccer field of solar arrays every hour, 24/7. Me thinks we are not nearly as smart as like to claim.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:36 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Only surprise is that it took them this long. Of course this administration is going to do every reactionary thing to hasten damage to the environment because frankly they just don't give a ****.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:34 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Only surprise is that it took them this long. Of course this administration is going to do every reactionary thing to hasten damage to the environment because frankly they just don't give a ****.
There is a problem when people need the government to tell (regulate) them how to run their lives, just saying.
https://archive.epa.gov/epa/aboutepa...-1973.html#air

"Despite nearly 60 percent of those polled claiming to support environmental clean-up without regard to cost, editorials in regional newspapers and indignant state and local officials suggested otherwise when EPA suggested that compliance with the 1970 Clean Air Act's tough standards would require draconian measures in some areas. In L.A., for instance, regional air quality improvement plans almost banned cars."
_______

Give a Hoot, Don't pollute ... take a train, a bus, or a bicycle; leave the car at home.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:28 AM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm not confused at all but you seem to be confused about where the EPA gets it's regulatory power from. The linchpin of the Clean Power plan is CO2 caps, if the EPA was to lose this regulatory authority through new legislation it's a dead issue.
The EPA get's it's regulatory from congress as do other agencies, there is nothing I have seen that indicates they are willing to take that power away.

Quote:
I didn't say it was i the article, what I am telling you is the Republicans have had a bill on the back burner since the 2007 ruling by SCOTUS. This of course would have had snowball's chance in hell when Obama was in the White House.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...37/all-actions

A bill that's been on the back burner for 10 years? Where is it now, why didn't it pass both houses in the past several years. Congress doesn' want any part of regulation, that would be a disaster. They sent up ath repeal of the ACA around 50 times, why didn't this one get to his desk since we keep hearing about the EPA over reach.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:35 AM

12,961 posts, read 13,673,944 times
I guess we'll see how long it takes for the big job fairs all over West Virginia and Kentucky. Now that they can't blame Obama for their poverty, I wonder what the coal industry will tell unemployed miners about those closed mines?

Old 10-10-2017, 06:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Congress doesn' want any part of regulation, that would be a disaster.
Congress is the regulator, the regulations put out by the EPA are just the details to implement the laws of Congress. If the EPA was following the intent of the original law we would not be having this discussion.

Congress has no choice in these matters anymore and it's one of the reasons we have bills that are so excessively long. If they don't dot their i's and cross all their t's you end up with situation like this where you have an agency seizing a power they were never intended to have. You also have the inevitable plethora of court cases and in this case an industry left to wonder what is going to happen from one administration to the next.

It's very difficult to operate in an industry where you are making decisions that have financial ramifications 4 or 5 decades into the future even before you put CO2 regulations into the equation. This needs resolution through Congress one way or the other simply because of the huge financial impacts.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:26 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
EPA moves to repeal Obama

We need to prop up other dead/dying industries like whale oil and incandescent light bulbs too. Pruitt needs to go back to his fracked over and earthquake ravaged Oklahoma, never to be seen again.
You mean like solar and wind? We have been propping them up for decades and they still aren't viable on their own.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:28 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Do a google image search for US polluted Cities 1970s.....

the contrast between the present and the seventies is simply stunning.

HEY REPUBLICANS, don't forget who signed the "Clean air act" , hint he was "not a crook" and his signing that bill likely saved more lives than we have lost in our endless wars.
Exactly. You know-the same can be said of a couple of years ago-before Obama's regs aimed at destroying the coal industry were implemented. Undoing some of the Obama stupidity doesn't bring a return to the 1960s and the crying indian.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:31 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Trump just trying to erase the visage of the Obama administration.

Clean air for Americans be damned !
We had clean air long before Barack floated ashore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies