Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 08:05 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
This is what happened to me, except this woman's rapist was charged and convicted and in my case the adults in my life from the church and family forced me to marry my rapist to repent of the sin of fornication saying I could've stopped the sex had I wanted to bad enough. So, I was married off when I was still a child to the man who raped and tortured me under threat of hell if I didn't repent of fornication.

There is no protection from this whatsoever. None. I was essentially psychologically tortured by my rapist and the legal system that helped my rapist maintain power over me.

And this woman is going to be forced to live in Michigan. I was forced to live in Virginia within a 30 mile radius of my rapist. My rapist literally went to each lawyer in the 30 mile radius for a free consult so that they couldn't represent me, and I had to break the court order and travel outside the 30 mile radius to find a lawyer.

When my daughter was 14 she was forcibly removed from my home and custody given to my rapist and I was scolded constantly for having tried to stay away from him for all those years. Romans 13 and what the authorities did to me taught me God's true character. For 14 years they kept giving him my contact information and helping him stalk, assault, threaten, and even rape me some more. I kept having to move. Even after a judge terminated his visitation rights when she was almost three, he continued to stalk me across state lines with help from the government.

When I was still trapped in his home he raped me on a regular basis and beat me. I have a traumatic brain injury from where he bashed my head into a wall, medicine cabinet, and other objects. After I was hit so many times the objects got fuzzy. I was temporarily paralyzed on my right side and then had a popping sensation and was in constant, severe 24/7 pain all on my right side. He never served a day in jail for it. His cop buddies destroyed all evidence before it got to trial. I have severe, chronic PTSD from not only what he did to me, but what the government did to me.

This young woman's nightmare is just beginning. The psychological trauma she will go through the rest of her life is something she's unlikely to ever recover from. I speak from experience. I haven't even slept soundly through a single night without drugs since it started for me, except the drugs have stopped helping me fall asleep so that's even over. I doze off and awaken from nightmares throughout the night when I can actually get a little sleep. It's been over 25 years since it began for me. I've lived my adult life in pain and terror. Ever so often I'd think he finally moved on and then he'd catch me off guard and show up again.

Over 25 years of this and I have no idea what all he did to my daughter after she was forced to live with him for four years. If you ask her she freezes up and won't talk about it. Adults having sex with children is viewed by him as an acceptable showing of love and affection. I don't ask her anymore since she don't want to talk about it. Some of her friends from school had to help her get out of his home after she turned 18 and she doesn't seem like the same girl who went out there at all. She's cold and distant. His druggie family turned her into an alcoholic before she even moved out. She hangs out with people who do drugs who will buy her alcohol. She went out there healthy physically and came back in poor health and with rotted teeth.

I know very well the hell this woman will be living with. And it is terror. The man already raped her and now she's forced to be around him for at least until her child is 18 if she doesn't want to lose custody to him, although sometimes in these cases if the courts find out the mother/rape victim has been saying anything bad about the father at all they strip her of custody anyway. This type of thing happens all over the country. There have been cases where the rape victims have been court ordered to take the child to the prisons for supervised visitation or else lose custody to the rapist's parents. The courts show no mercy whatsoever to people like us.
horrifying. thank you for having the courage to speak up.

also Frontline is doing an investigative peace on Child marriage in America, and I think they would be very interested in your story, you could maybe get some help from them, if not emotional support.
Child Marriage in America - Transcript | FRONTLINE

there is a link on the bottom where you can contact the reporter, if thats something you want to do.

So sorry this happened to you and your child, it never should have happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 11:28 PM

31,887 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Did any of you bother reading up further on this story before flying off the handle?

Basically two things happened here; as in nearly all states when an unwed mother seeks assistance she *MUST* provide the name of the child's father. In this case young woman as "leaned upon" and gave the information since she feared loss of benefits. The system took things from there.... However apparently the state of Michigan did not bother to tell the judge in this case about the rape, and criminal background of the father. So the court did what it would normally do; award joint custody with visitation rights.

Once things hit the fan, then everyone in the Michigan court and other government systems began to point fingers at each other.

State: Don't give custody to convicted rapist=

Custody case judge says unaware dad was sex offender

County denies joint custody of victim's child was given to rapist | MLive.com

What happened is sadly an often occurrence with government systems; one hand does not know what the other is doing.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:45 AM

8,204 posts, read 3,477,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
horrifying. thank you for having the courage to speak up.

also Frontline is doing an investigative peace on Child marriage in America, and I think they would be very interested in your story, you could maybe get some help from them, if not emotional support.
Child Marriage in America - Transcript | FRONTLINE

there is a link on the bottom where you can contact the reporter, if thats something you want to do.

So sorry this happened to you and your child, it never should have happened.
ty for that article.

It's not letting me select text to copy/paste from that article, but there's a section where they talk about the legal rights not being the same within the marriage for those under the age of 18. That was another hurtle I faced trying to get away. The DV shelter refused to let me stay there the first couple times I escaped because I was 17. Then he found out I'd been in contact with them and started volunteering there. He ran the support group and he would come home telling me all the things that other men did to their wives/gfs and how lucky I had it, but that he'd really like to try out such and such on me to help teach me a lesson. He started calling it a "reality check" and he'd calmly tell me I needed a reality check before some of the rapes or beatings.

So, when I fled the home the first couple times, I was 17. His cop buddies threatened to arrest and jail me if I didn't go back to him the first time. So I was forced back. The second time I had no where to go so I ended up having to sleep in a cemetery because I figured it would be the last place he would think to look for me since he knew I was scared of them. But I was more scared of him at that point. He found me the next morning when I left the cemetery to find a restroom and something to eat. He grabbed me and forced me to go back to his home. I did not try again until after my 18th birthday. No one ever helped me though. He was a government worker that was well thought of in the community and I was viewed as a troublemaker for not wanting to be with him in the first place.

I couldn't rent an apartment at 17. I couldn't go to the shelter. I couldn't even buy a car to sleep in. Cops hunted me down to turn me back over to my rapist. Then the government doesn't understand how I got PTSD. They act like it's a behavioral issue on my part and that I need to "shape up" and "exhibit better behavior" while heralding my rapist to almost saint hood because he also works for the government as they do.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:50 AM

8,204 posts, read 3,477,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Did any of you bother reading up further on this story before flying off the handle?

Basically two things happened here; as in nearly all states when an unwed mother seeks assistance she *MUST* provide the name of the child's father. In this case young woman as "leaned upon" and gave the information since she feared loss of benefits. The system took things from there.... However apparently the state of Michigan did not bother to tell the judge in this case about the rape, and criminal background of the father. So the court did what it would normally do; award joint custody with visitation rights.

Once things hit the fan, then everyone in the Michigan court and other government systems began to point fingers at each other.

State: Don't give custody to convicted rapist=

Custody case judge says unaware dad was sex offender

County denies joint custody of victim's child was given to rapist | MLive.com

What happened is sadly an often occurrence with government systems; one hand does not know what the other is doing.
Quote:
The Sanilac County Prosecutor's office claims joint custody of a child born through rape was never given to the offender.
Quote:
Judge suspends his order giving joint custody to rapist.
Damage control? How could the judge suspend the order if the order was never given as the prosecutor's office claims? Obviously, at one point the joint custody was granted or else it couldn't have been suspended.

Quote:
If the 21-year-old woman and her attacker, 27-year-old Christopher Mirasolo, are not able to agree on parenting time, then the issue must be worked out through objections, which the mother's attorney, Rebecca Kiessling, filed Friday, Oct. 6.
And it's not over either, because if the parenting time isn't eventually worked out then the court could try to force the issue as courts have done in similar cases in the past.

Although, the rapist's attorney seems to indicate the perp isn't actually interested in custody. Hope it stays that way.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:03 AM

10,227 posts, read 6,308,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the question above, I was also going to state what Oldhag stated.

It is horrible that the state of FL did this to this young woman. This woman was raped when she was a child and made a very adult, compassionate decision to not abort her child when she could have. FWIW, I'm very pro-choice and I commend her for her decision to do so because IMO it really is about "choice" and what the woman feels would be the best course for her life and what she can live with in regards to terminating a pregnancy. However, after making this choice, this man should have NO RIGHTS to this child. I read a local news article that stated that the rape victim is being represented by a lawyer who will cite the federal Rape Survivor Child Custody Act to sever the parental rights of the rapists.

But it is ridiculous that they even wanted to put this rapists name on the birth certificate of child. The child may not know (probably not since they are only 8 years old) that they were conceived via a rape. This is just horrible all around.
Putting aside the abortion issue, probably the her best choice would have been to put the child up for adoption when she gave birth.

The rapist would never has known where his daughter was unless or until she came looking for him as an adult. I know hindsight is 20/20 but she, and the grandparents, did not think her situation through. That poor child is one who will suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies