Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you relocate because of politics?
Yes 45 60.81%
No 29 39.19%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 02:31 PM

47 posts, read 59,130 times

Advertisements

No, at least with regards to mid-sized or larger cities. Most places discussed here aren't as overtly political as they're made out to be. Generally, if you don't wear your political opinions on your sleeve most people couldn't care less. Conversely, if you constantly preach politics you're going to get pushback, pretty simple. I can't speak to smaller cities, but this has been my experience in regions/metros of 600k, 2 million and 18 million people.

Larger cities are also diverse enough that it's easy to find like-minded people, no matter your inclination. Some people forget that a large, liberal metro like the Bay Area still has millions of conservatives/Republicans/non-liberals. Certain regions/parts of a metro/city will likely have stronger political tendencies too. Berkeley, CA might be a bad bet if you're a Republican, but that's a city of 115k people in a region of 8.5 million+.

edit: I've found a lot of complaints regarding a city/region's politics to be exaggerated too. I know several people that left cities because of COL/job reasons and started complaining about politics afterwards (effectively attributing it as a reason for moving). It was never a big issue when they could afford to live there/had a job.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:01 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
As for things changing---we've been in this area 37 years now. As a result, we've seen it change little by little from red to blue.

One thing I've learned is to never discuss politics unless you're among (and know for sure) like-minded people. Otherwise, it's best to keep one's political opinions to oneself.

We're planning to move to an area that's blue. Before we decided on the new location, we visited a couple of times and talked to lots of locals. Of course, politics never came up. Instead, we talked about what life was like there and if they liked living there.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:59 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
I moved out of a very political city, because in that city not only would my vote not count, but I had pretty good reason to believe it literally wouldn't be counted.

Now I'm in New Hampshire, where anyone can (and does) become a state representative.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:18 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
No, I would not move because of politics. It's too insignificant a reason for moving.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:28 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
I've lived in 7 different states and various cities. I have moved because of politics, but only more recently. Not so much because they elected and admired jerks, but because of the basic culture and people's values. Just too conservative and narrow-minded for me. Lots of rules. Strict rules. Go by the book--tunnel vision. Short-sighted. Self-entitled. Their way or the highway.

I like to live among more liberal people, where I don't have to watch what I say because people will laugh rather than frown with disapproval or are offended by the wrong opinion. I constantly wanted to say -- just lighten up, will ya?

It's always nicer to live among like-minded people I think.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:31 PM

16,085 posts, read 10,747,693 times
It was a very small consideration when I moved because there were many other motivations. It looms larger in hindsight because once you extricate yourself and look back from a distance over time you realize how your expectations and experiences were distorted by the political environment. Once you shake off the dust of your old place you see it more clearly...how stifling and debilitating it was and how it influenced the education system, religion, public expectations, economic opportunity, and even the justice system.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Would any of you change your mind if you were Black, Latino, or gay? Politics wouldn't be so insignificant, would it? Just something to think about.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:39 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
I didn't vote in the poll.

Move due to politics? No.

I don't care what color the state shows on a random news channel's election coverage. I also don't care whether some knucklehead has an I, R, or D next to their name. They're all cut from the same self serving cloth.

I will move due to an overabundance of overbearing nanny state laws. I am originally from Massachusetts. When I am done playing Army, I will never move back to Mass.
This is where I am at. If I somehow still lived in Colorado, which was great back in the mid-80's, yeah, by now I would bag it. (My BS meter setpoint is lower than just Mass, Cali, etc.)

Old 10-10-2017, 05:52 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
It depends on how far out of the political social spectrum you are. If you're conservative and live let's say in San Fran or LA then the politics can't be avoided. You can't pretend it doesn't exist when it affects your life, like CA becoming a sanctuary state. If the majority of people are not the "live and let live type" and you don't dare wear the wrong hat, t-shirt or have the wrong bumper sticker on your car for fear of being vandalized or punched in the face, then yes, it's time to move.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:00 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
yes i would move for politic, race, religion, ethics. i want to live with my own hertiage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies