Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:33 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times

Advertisements

Both parents should talk to their children of both sexes. Men aren't the only predators.

That said, as vile as I find Trump, Weinstein is far worse. He was using his power in Hollywood to get these women to have sex with him because they feared being blackballed from good parts. He was threatening their careers in a field where good parts for women are few and far between.

Don't get me wrong... I don't doubt that some men have spent time on a casting couch, too.

But, I think that those were most likely boys/young adults and not so much grown men.

Which is also disgusting, but it is also pedophilia and let's not open that can of worms for the moment.

Anyone who uses power and influence to try to sink a person's career if that person won't give them sexual favors is a terrible excuse for a human being and should be ostracized by all of polite society.

I doubt this was ever about sex. It was about power.

The man had a gorgeous wife and I don't doubt that being rich, in and of itself, meant that he could find women willing to sleep with him minus coercion if he really wanted to just find sex.

He wanted to CONTROL these actresses. That's pretty much a rapist's mentality.

Whether one wants to assign those motives to Trump or Clinton is essentially up to their POV and their political blinders.

I personally think that Trump and Clinton are just skirt-chasers and that they've done grossly inappropriate things, but I'm not sure if that shakes out into the type of offenses that Weinstein committed.

Until Trump or Clinton is accused of rape and nobody retracts it, backs it down, refuses to take it to court, etc... I guess we just don't know exactly. I think it's safe to say I wouldn't want to be alone with either of them.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:11 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
"accused"....nowadays the left is accusing Trump of anything they can throw at him!

Bill Clinton lost his law license and there is a lot of prove. Wiener is going to prison or already there. Weinstein clearly is a disgusting sexual abuser!
There is zero proof on Bill Clinton raping anyone. His law license was suspended because he lied about consensual oral sex, not rape, and technically, he didn't lose his license, he would in fact be eligible to apply for reinstatement if he wanted.

That's the big difference here- Conservatives only are disgusted when a non-Conservative does things like this. When it's a GOP member, they elect him President. That's what I call disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 11:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
What are you doing so your son doesn't grow up to be a sexual predator?

Are you having a discussion with your son?
oh for heavens sake, do you think this is something new in the country or world? And are you actually putting Trump in the same boat with Weinstein? Give it up!!!!

Old 10-11-2017, 11:22 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
I think the common tread is not to have a last name about sausage or have traditional name like Harvey, Donald, Bill and Anthony and your children should be fine. Either come up with a new name or stick with the bible.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:25 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:

Are you having a discussion with your daughters not to become teachers that sleep with their male students?

Old 10-11-2017, 11:26 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
well.... I am a dad and not a mom, but as a pair of "Bitter Clingers" my wife and I are raising our kids to love God and from that flows respect for all people.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:47 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
Why are you asking only the mothers?
Excellent question.

Quote:

I don't know if you are aware ~ but we also have to PROTECT our sons from sexual predators. It's not like every boy is going to grow up to be a sexual predator.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 hours ago)

5,791 posts, read 3,598,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Anyone who uses power and influence to try to sink a person's career if that person won't give them sexual favors is a terrible excuse for a human being and should be ostracized by all of polite society.

I doubt this was ever about sex. It was about power.

The man had a gorgeous wife and I don't doubt that being rich, in and of itself, meant that he could find women willing to sleep with him minus coercion if he really wanted to just find sex.

He wanted to CONTROL these actresses. That's pretty much a rapist's mentality.
Largely agreed. Stuff like this is precisely what happens when the mainstream of your society glorifies power over niceness, especially if to the point of deeming niceness as, at best, a boring but important trait for respect-worthiness (i.e. "manliness" if male), and a mere consolation prize for losers at worst. If your society values powerful over kindness (not even in a sex/romance context), then that society will end up glorifying powerful douchebags and devaluing kind powerless people. It's not rocket science.

As for power itself? Why have power to be worthy of respect at all (meaning, "not deserving disrespect") - or more to the point, how does being powerless make one worthy of disrespect, or even common courtesy? That's a question mainstream society hugely neglects - plus most of Homo sapiens in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Whether one wants to assign those motives to Trump or Clinton is essentially up to their POV and their political blinders.

I personally think that Trump and Clinton are just skirt-chasers and that they've done grossly inappropriate things, but I'm not sure if that shakes out into the type of offenses that Weinstein committed.

Until Trump or Clinton is accused of rape and nobody retracts it, backs it down, refuses to take it to court, etc... I guess we just don't know exactly. I think it's safe to say I wouldn't want to be alone with either of them.
I agree that there's no proof or disproof of actual rape. Still, the fact that they are both slimey con-men alone tells me they are certainly more capable of committing it than the average male. Whether quiet conning or blatant verbal degradation (public or not), both are cases of not giving a damn about even the essential dignity of others.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:26 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
my wife and I are raising our kids to love God and from that flows respect for all people.
Tell that to all the young boys and girls who are raped and molested by priests.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:27 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
When Obama was president we knew that there was no way our son could ever become a a sexual predator, so we just let him live his own life.

Now that Trump is in office it's quite clear that if we don't do something he'll most likely become a predator. We're not quite sure how to bring it up though. We're thinking about just telling him not too sexually assault or rape women and stuff.
Did you have any of these concerns while Bill Clinton was President?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies