Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2017, 01:38 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I love it when people cite the Constitution, but don't understand or apparently haven't even read the part they cite.

What part of the US Constitution does not give the goverment authority to limit what goes out on the licensed broadcast spectrum? This would include obscene material, threats, and of course fake news presented as truth.

In fact the 1st Amendment protects, specifically the free press, ONLY IF they are reporting the news instead of making it up.
I'd love to see this challenged.

And, of course, you would have to prove that this is "fake news". Trump saying "it isn't true!" is not proof of anything. Especially given his abysmal track record with accuracy and the truth: Donald Trump's file | PolitiFact

I think this is a very dangerous path with what he is suggesting, and I would love to see the courts weigh in on it.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:38 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Speaking of fallacies, you still flogging that "fake news" blatant ad hominem on a daily basis? Hypocrites lol
"Fake News" is a statement of fact. Any "news" put out there, where anonymous sources are cited" is by definition, fake news.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:39 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
My point was clear. You simply choose not to acknowledge it.

That point is the FCC has the right to place limits on what is broadcast.
cool story Waldo, but those "rights" are nonsense in the real world.

Comcast , the public and congress will not stand by idle if Trump should decide to directly attack the free press beyond his words.

And Pai would find himself with no lucrative exit plan to enrich himself when his term is over. As it stands Pai is setting himself up to be on a whole bunch of boards with a mountain of stock options. That is the whole point of his actions, it is hardly like Pai actually believes his own bs, he is simply helping corps rip off the public with the protection of government. and he is absolutely doing his best to ensure they will not have to compete with each other at all. I expect 10 years from now Pai will be a very rich man.

and BTW FCC under Pai has been reducing its claimed powers...

Old 10-11-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
And, of course, you would have to prove that this is "fake news". Trump saying "it isn't true!" is not proof of anything. Especially given his abysmal track record with accuracy and the truth: Donald Trump's file | PolitiFact
The burden of proof is on NBC News, not Trump.

Certainly someone citing the Constitution would know this.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Ahh. You now admit the FCC, has this right. The rest is simply your opinion.
And NBC is violating which one of the three principles (decency, profanity, and obscenity)?

Saying something negative about Trump is not violating any of the above. Especially if it is true.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I don't disagree there. I also realize there are very legitimate reasons that people are anonymous when they source content for stories. You are asking NBC to provide names to back up the claims when that is likely not possible.

That doesn't make the claim untrue, however. You're welcome to be skeptical of the claim (as you should be), but there's no reason to suspect it is untrue.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
cool story Waldo, but those "rights" are nonsense in the real world.

Comcast , the public and congress will not stand by idle if Trump should decide to directly attack the free press beyond his words.

And Pai would find himself with no lucrative exit plan to enrich himself when his term is over. As it stands Pai is setting himself up to be on a whole bunch of boards with a mountain of stock options. That is the whole point of his actions, it is hardly like Pai actually believes his own bs, he is simply helping corps rip off the public with the protection of government. and he is absolutely doing his best to ensure they will not have to compete with each other at all. I expect 10 years from now Pai will be a very rich man.

and BTW FCC under Pai has been reducing its claimed powers...
Your argument is that you know what the CEO of Comcast might do. You simply don't know this. He might be the first to go and slap down the idiots at his subsidiary for printing fake news like this.

General Electric, which also still holds a stake might do the same.

i.e. You don't have a argument.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:42 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Where did he say he did?
You don't follow him on twitter?

Neither do I - who has time for that nonsense.

I think he said something on twitter referring to the NBC License.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I don't disagree there. I also realize there are very legitimate reasons that people are anonymous when they source content for stories. You are asking NBC to provide names to back up the claims when that is likely not possible.
I'm not asking NBC for anything.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I'm not asking NBC for anything.
Yes you are - you are asking them to prove their claims. Are you not?

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies