Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 07:41 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
What you're saying is that we all need the government to control the flow of propaganda on the internet because we don't know how to choose the "right" political candidate otherwise. Sounds like something out of a George Orwell book.
No, what I'm saying is that we need to understand the scope and breadth of Russian interference in the last election, because we know that the Russians aren't going to stop in their efforts to undermine American democracy. I really don't need you to try to interpret what I post. I say what I mean, and if someone needs me to clarify it, I will be happy to do so.

What you're saying is that my posts are reasonable and factual, and so you have to try to twist my remarks because they don't suit the narrative that you are trying to promote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 08:18 AM

1,188 posts, read 958,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No, what I'm saying is that we need to understand the scope and breadth of Russian interference in the last election, because we know that the Russians aren't going to stop in their efforts to undermine American democracy.
Sounds like you're copy-pasting talking points straight from MSNBC.

Fact is, we have free and fair elections.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:32 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
It's elite-speak for

"We think American voters are dumb, especially those in the swing states this past election (but not the 2 before that when they voted for Obama). We're all smart and get our news from accurate, unbiased sources like NPR (lol!!!!), but everyone else is dumb and doesn't know how to use the internet and got influenced by Facebook ads from people in Russia. Hillary was objectively the better candidate and those of us who voted for her knew all the right facts and everyone else was brainwashed when they went to the ballot box."

Give me a break ...
You actually posted this after giving it some thought, huh ?

Old 10-13-2017, 09:17 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
No, what we mean is; Russia tried to influence the election. Which has been proven by the way. Facebook and google have both admitted to it. Nice try, thanks for playing, take your lovely parting gifts on the way out.
I don't know about Google, but Facebook admitted no such thing.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
No, what I'm saying is that we need to understand the scope and breadth of Russian interference in the last election, because we know that the Russians aren't going to stop in their efforts to undermine American democracy.
Why don't we pay a lot more attention to the much more serious interference by Americans (and quasi-Americans like Carlos Slim and Haim Saban) in our elections?

Every day, everything the mainstream media do on the political front is intended to mislead voters, distract voters, warp the moral standards of voters, construct a false consciousness among voters, and otherwise prevent elections from reflecting the genuine informed consent of the people of this country.

The focus on the Russians is projection, distraction, and lie-by-omission. In fact, it a good example of the point I made in the previous paragraph.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you're copy-pasting talking points straight from MSNBC.

Fact is, we have free and fair elections.
No, everything I posted is my own thoughts and ideas.

We want to keep our free and fair elections, so we need to be aware of outside forces trying to interfere in those elections. We need to understand the scope and breadth of the attempts to interfere in our elections, and we need to understand the motivation. In Russia's case, it is to undermine American democracy. Not a good thing.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Why don't we pay a lot more attention to the much more serious interference by Americans (and quasi-Americans like Carlos Slim and Haim Saban) in our elections?

Every day, everything the mainstream media do on the political front is intended to mislead voters, distract voters, warp the moral standards of voters, construct a false consciousness among voters, and otherwise prevent elections from reflecting the genuine informed consent of the people of this country.

The focus on the Russians is projection, distraction, and lie-by-omission. In fact, it a good example of the point I made in the previous paragraph.
We do pay attention to the propaganda put forth by various American entities.

There are books written about the elections, the propaganda utilized during elections, polling and marketing strategies. Books about American elections, books about American interference in foreign elections.

The mainstream media is not evil. Liberals aren't evil. Yes, news is reported by reporters, edited by editors, published by publishers, and these are all people with their own biases. Some of the bias is conservative, much of the bias leans liberal. But no, the mainstream media does not seek to mislead voters, or distract voters, or warp the moral standards of voters. There is no false consciousness among voters (whatever claptrap you mean by that phrase). But yes, media sources are biased and their bias slants the news. However, just because you don't agree with the news' bias does not mean that you find their stories not credible. Facts are credible. And utilizing multiple news sources helps to negate some of the bias you are exposed to.

The focus on the Russians isn't projection, distraction or lie-by-omission. The focus on the Russians is a recognition that the Russians have an agenda, and they want Americans to distrust our system, they want to undermine American democracy, they want to increase the divisions between voters. These are not good things, but the Russian propaganda machine has been effective at it. And because they have been effective, it's important to focus on the Russian interference.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
No, everything I posted is my own thoughts and ideas.

We want to keep our free and fair elections, so we need to be aware of outside forces trying to interfere in those elections. We need to understand the scope and breadth of the attempts to interfere in our elections, and we need to understand the motivation. In Russia's case, it is to undermine American democracy. Not a good thing.
How is people in Russia (not necessarily connected to their government even) buying $100k (chump change) in Facebook (which is an international private company) ads threatening free and fair elections?

Free: Doesn't cost money.
Fair: Constitutional rules are followed.

I don't see how anything that is proven about Russia threatens that?

If you want to talk about the dumbing down of the American voter, that's a completely separate issue, and the main culprits are domestic.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Yes they admit they sold ads on their platforms to the Russians.
They sold ads to people in Russia, not "the Russians". These ads included $100,000 of ads "to promote political merchandise for Mr. Obama" And $7,000 for anti-Trump ads relating to a Trump golf course and related environmental concerns. And $36,000 of ads "questioning whether President Barack Obama needed to resign."

It added up to a total of about $200,000, most of which was commercially oriented or anti-Trump. This was not $200,000 spent to get Trump elected.

To put things in context:

Hillary and affiliated Super-PACs raised 1,190,700,000 dollars.

Trump and Co. raised 646,800,000 dollars.

$200,000 is .01% of the amount the candidates raised. This "Russia" narrative is mindbogglingly stupid.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 10-13-2017 at 10:12 AM..

Old 10-13-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
The focus on the Russians isn't projection, distraction or lie-by-omission. The focus on the Russians is a recognition that the Russians have an agenda, and they want Americans to distrust our system, they want to undermine American democracy, they want to increase the divisions between voters.
Well no s***.

Hey, the 1960s military intelligence called, they want their new and exciting information back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies