Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 10:10 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
And here the math shows me we are on pace for 224 black deaths at the hands of police for 2017. I know math is racist (See here: New) but I decided to risk public scorn and crunch the numbers for us.

NFL protests overlook black homicide rise - Washington Times
Lets be honest here. The NFL Protest, BLM, etc, were triggered by police killings, but the police killings are the proverbial "straw that broke the cameras back". Its really asinine to just focus on the straw that collapsed the Camel as opposed to looking at the LOAD OF STRAWS. No black person protesting or taking a stand sees police killings isolated in a vacuum unrelated to the general disrespect and injustice done to African Americans. The protest is a protest against the way blacks are treated IN GENERAL, in this society and in particular by the police.

People like to bring up black on black crime, out of wedlock births (or births to single mothers as some like to call it) to obfuscate and distract attention away from the continuum of racism. Again, its simple logic. White superiority can only be supported as a belief if and only if the competition was fair, meaning equal opportunity and equal oppression. In other words, whites and blacks have had the same opportunity and the same amount of oppression to deal with. Thus, whites are doing better than blacks can only be explained by the innate differences between the two races.

I mean, the goal is to show that whites are SUPERIOR, as you never hear people mentioning any statistics that whites are equally bad for. Apparently the only problems in America are the problems that blacks have in far greater proportions than whites. You have to focus on these distinctions with differences in order to highlight white superiority in the juxtaposition.

That being said, black on black crime is therefore NOT a symptom or complication created from centuries of racism, but rather, something independent of that history and born from black nature. I would argue, on the other hand, that taking a knee against racial injustice is taking a knee against black on black violence and all the other manifestations and complications born from a history of racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 10:36 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yes but you see the protesters dont care about black on black crime, and they dont even care about black on white crime. the only thing they care about is when a cop, whether that cop is black, white, brown, or what ever, kills a black person they get all up in arms about it and try to make it like only black people are targeted by cops. if anyone from another race is killed by a cop, they dont care. if someone kills a cop, they party.

and this is a huge part of the problem here. i agree that cops getting too aggressive is a big problem, for everyone, but lets be real here, these protesters dont care about anyone but black people, and they dont even care about the circumstances either. a black criminal attacks a cop, and gets killed in the process, and they start protesting right away, and claiming the black person was a really nice guy just minding his own business when some evil cop up and killed him.

and then when the truth comes out, they are gone like the cockroaches they are.

if we are going to have this discussion, then lets have ALL the statistics, and ALL the circumstances behind the events, and lets get the REAL truth out in the public.

they wont do that though because the truth does not fit their narrative.

I'm guessing when there's black on black crime, there's prosecutions, but cops seem to get away with this sort of thing. Plus, police ARE in a position of authority. Whenever that's being abused it's considered worse. Like a boss/subordinate or parent/child relation.

Also, no one has dared label the Las Vegas shooting terrorism? Why? Because the shooter was a white male that was fairly well off financially and otherwise. They don't want

Old 10-13-2017, 11:40 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The thing is though, its never really just about the broken tail light, its little things like this, they use in order to justify pulling someone over, in hopes they can find other things going on, drugs in car, warrant, open container, etc.

I was once in a car that was pulled over for a busted plate light(LOL), but quickly found out, they really wanted to search the car filled with a bunch of early 20s kids out late at night, in reality police were not that concerned with the busted light.

If they were that concerned with a broken tail light, just as easy to drive up beside the person and let them know, all police car radios have megaphone function, why pull them over and go thru the whole process of running their ID, running their name thru dispatch?
like i said, put yourself in the cops shoes. first off in the vehicle code there are things that a car needs to operate legally on the road, including that license plate light. while driving through texas a number of years ago, i got pulled over for that issue. i had no problem with the officer, because i created no problem for the officer.

but when that officer pulled me over, he had no clue as to who i was, or what i would do as a result of this contact, there fore he has to be ready for anything. if he isnt, he could end up dead.

but lets take your case, put yourself in the officers shoes, its late at night, you have a car in violtion of the law, and you have that car loaded with young men. you dont know the car, you dont know the men, you are probably in a high crime area. are you really going to just tell the driver they have a tail light out and send them on their way? or are you going to do your job, identify each individual in the car, run them for warrants, etc. and make sure you dont have a car load of criminals that should be behind bars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I'm guessing when there's black on black crime, there's prosecutions, but cops seem to get away with this sort of thing. Plus, police ARE in a position of authority. Whenever that's being abused it's considered worse. Like a boss/subordinate or parent/child relation.
yes cops do seem to get away with this sort of thing, but then you are only seeing the sensational cases, not all of them. also you are only seeing a few bits of evidence in the case, not all of the evidence, why? because much of the evidence in the case doesnt fit the media narrative that all cops are bad and need to be fired.

Quote:
Also, no one has dared label the Las Vegas shooting terrorism? Why? Because the shooter was a white male that was fairly well off financially and otherwise. They don't want
really? the reports i have listened to ARE calling the vegas shooting a terrorist act.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:50 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

No, as a reasoned person, you should realize that the false narrative of LEO's setting out to kill black men is absurd on it's face. More whites are killed by white LEO's, and it has nothing to do with racism. Nor are the whites killed by black LEO's racism. Instead, it is white criminals whose behavior resulted in lethal force being used against them. Even in the cases where titrated escalation procedures could have been used more effectively (to reduce lethal shootings), it has nothing to do with racism.

From a purely statistical perspective, the number of people killed by LEO's per year is infinitesimal compared to all the interactions between LEO's and the citizens they protect and serve.
Needless to say most who are shot by LEO's are criminals who exhibited dangerous/threatening behavior, not just random citizens who the cops decided to murder.

`
Absolutely positively it isn't about black vs. white...it is about lower income neighborhoods vs. police officers. Unfortunately, minorities in urban center make up the majority of residents.

I can't imagine why officers, their families, citizens aren't demanding officers get better training to help them with these high stress situations. Also -- morality lessons on when accidents happen how not to plant evidence or lie about the sequence of events.

We always condemn the guy who ran but we never condemn the cop who LIED about what happened.

That's what happened here in the Charleston SC with Walter Scott. The officer lied.

That's not okay...but folks say -- oh but he was scared. Okay -- i get it -- when he pulled Walter Scott over for a brake light -- and Walter Scott ran - -he was scared. So instead of calling for back up -- staying with Walter Scott's car and the guy who was in the car.....the officer CHOSE to chase him -- gun drawn. The officer claimed there was a fight over the tazer...and video evidence proved his whole story to be false.

I don't care if this is one situation -- it is one too many.

Being overly aggressive with guys illegally sellling cigarettes who get mouthy. Come on -- why? Because power, ego, lack of training in stressful situations.

We hear about these cases more now and with cell phones, lots of video -- and body cams of course. But for the people in those communities, there have been years of feeling like they are targets. That doesn't happen with one situation or over night.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:02 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,769 times
Circle back around to the same ragedy arguments. "What about black on black crime?"...while blacks are overrepresented in prison with carryover into innocent blacks. Meanwhile, whites are most likely to die at the hands of other whites..."but ISIS and BLM are worse".

Also, here's a lengthy post I made about black people addressing black crime issues over the years. This post is just a small sample of black people addressing the issue.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/49654582-post3760.html

And I know out here in KC where I live for as long as I can remember we've had groups like the Adhoc Group Against Crime that specifically dealt with black on black crime. Headed up by a man named Alvin Brooks, he is well known around the community for this. And most other, if not all black urban communities had at least one group like this.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:49 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Circle back around to the same ragedy arguments. "What about black on black crime?"...while blacks are overrepresented in prison with carryover into innocent blacks. Meanwhile, whites are most likely to die at the hands of other whites..."but ISIS and BLM are worse".

Also, here's a lengthy post I made about black people addressing black crime issues over the years. This post is just a small sample of black people addressing the issue.

And I know out here in KC where I live for as long as I can remember we've had groups like the Adhoc Group Against Crime that specifically dealt with black on black crime. Headed up by a man named Alvin Brooks, he is well known around the community for this. And most other, if not all black urban communities had at least one group like this.
How come those groups get very little media attention? How come pro athletes don't promote them with the same enthusiasm as they do for BLM?

How come the homicide rate for blacks is still so disproportionately high despite these groups?

Old 10-13-2017, 08:53 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post

good, now they need to get the NFL players to openly support them in their efforts. perhaps they can help make a difference.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:01 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
How about keep some dads in the home. Until then nothing will change.
Exactly

Old 10-14-2017, 07:49 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
good, now they need to get the NFL players to openly support them in their efforts. perhaps they can help make a difference.
alot of these players are active in their communities and have charities and foundations. What are you doing to help anything?

Colin Kaepernick has donated $800k to empower oppressed communities | For The Win

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/29/1...son-foundation

Marshawn Lynch's Legacy Will Be Linked To Oakland-Area Youth: "They Love Him, They Love Him To Death" | Seattle Seahawks

Carolina Panthers | Player & Coach Foundations

Old 10-14-2017, 04:39 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

We always condemn the guy who ran but we never condemn the cop who LIED about what happened.

That's what happened here in the Charleston SC with Walter Scott. The officer lied.

That's not okay...but folks say -- oh but he was scared. Okay -- i get it -- when he pulled Walter Scott over for a brake light -- and Walter Scott ran - -he was scared. So instead of calling for back up -- staying with Walter Scott's car and the guy who was in the car.....the officer CHOSE to chase him -- gun drawn. The officer claimed there was a fight over the tazer...and video evidence proved his whole story to be false.
Because there’s a lot of people out there, including people on this board that have been violated by police but had no idea it happened. Then they see people they feel are beneath them talking about police and think that they’re al criminals, yet have no interest in learning that the process is actually flawed. They think that cases of brutality and corruption are fewer and far between, but don’t realize it’s happening constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies