Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 11:48 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Unfortunately, you have to go for broke to prove your honor sometimes. That is what I have been taught even when I was a kid. It could've been worse. Plus, the country tried to make up for it, what else do they need? It is human nature to hate your enemies or the people who look like your enemies. It is not right, but it is human nature. Although, my relative looked nothing like an "enemy" so it is a big WTF moment for her. LOL
As I've said, the family I knew of lost two sons in our wars and the third retired after a long USN career. We can't change the past, I just wonder sometimes why don't learn more from it.

Quote:
All you have to is look how many German Americans fought the war, they don't complain, either.
I'd say they were treated a little better than their Japanese American counterparts but that's speaking from hindsight, a very comfortable position with none of the pressures of making wartime decisions with no history to refer to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
You cannot expect perfection in life. War is a nasty business.

One of the more truthful statements I've read in these forums, if only more people realized it.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:54 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They Japanese-Americans whined less about being interned back then than liberals who were not affected at all do today.
Everybody "whined less" back then. Parents whined less if their kids died of cholera or dysentery. Husbands whined less if their wives died in childbirth. Kids whined less if grandma died at 65 from cancer, because 65 was already a ripe old age.

With progress, come higher expectations. Not long ago, people rejoiced merely because they had enough to eat. Today we complain if our food contains too many fillers or calories. Sure, whining and grousing is annoying. But I'm glad that our expectations are now higher.

Not long ago, getting drafted and having one's youth and education rudely interrupted, was considered to be a perfectly normal and acceptable burden of citizenship. Today, anything other than a professional, all-volunteer military would be considered to be ridiculous. Maybe that's just more whining - but I call it progress.

Quote:
All you have to is look how many German Americans fought the war, they don't complain, either.
But they weren't interned, were they? And America had generals with names like Eisenhower (Eisenhauer = iron hewer, in German) and Spaatz.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:54 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

I'd say they were treated a little better than their Japanese American counterparts but that's speaking from hindsight, a very comfortable position with none of the pressures of making wartime decisions with no history to refer to.
In my opinion, they should be treated well (Germans I mean)

Germans are the largest single immigrant group in the US -- greater than English or Irish (though, to be noted, the British Isles [a single polity during their mass migration] account for the largest immigrant portion: English, Irish, Welsh, Scottish). At the time of World War II, the US population was 132 million people. Roughly 25 million Americans claimed German heritage at that time, and significantly more (possibly triple) were of some German extraction.

Japanese are new comers, have a lot to prove. I am not saying it is right, I am saying it is what it is. They chose to come here, no one forced them to come.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:58 AM

45,229 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
We aren't suppose to question wars.

We pay taxes and elect leaders to decide what we should die for.

That's the American way!

As evidenced by most of the participants in this thread

Old 10-13-2017, 12:03 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

But they weren't interned, were they? And America had generals with names like Eisenhower (Eisenhauer = iron hewer, in German) and Spaatz.
The notion of interning everyone with at least 50% German heritage was never truly considered, desired nor even possible.

Plus, many didn't even consider themselves German anymore, which is understandable.

Like for example, in my family, none speaks the language except me because I spent couple of years in foreign countries. My brothers knew nothing about Japanese culture, nor do they care to learn. lol Diversity only matters to them when it comes to dating, they don't have racial preference. lol

Old 10-13-2017, 12:32 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Name one war where us fighting it literally meant if we didn't fight it we would have been conquered and not allowed to vote or have our rights. The only one I can think of is our fight to become independent against Britain. No soldier alive today has literally fought for our freedom. All the other wars were us fighting on foreign soil usually imposing our belief system and political system on them (Iraq,Afghanistan,Vietnam).
uhm...who attacked whom first???

alq, headquartered in Afghanistan, also trained in Iraq..attacked us first

or are you one of the '''no plane''' deniers

Old 10-13-2017, 12:37 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
You cannot expect perfection in life. War is a nasty business.
correct, and everyone of us soldiers, prays for peace, and train for the nasty stuff.

that's the way it should be anywhere, no matter what your occupation is...train for the worst circumstances, and pray(hope) for the best circumstances

Old 10-13-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm...who attacked whom first???

alq, headquartered in Afghanistan, also trained in Iraq..attacked us first

or are you one of the '''no plane''' deniers

Q: And what passports did they carry?

A: Those of a country that magically escapes travel bans and such.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:11 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
"War is good!" - The United States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies