Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 11:39 AM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
good God how many times do I have to say this?

THE TWO ORGANIZATIONS DONT DO THE SAME THING. IF IT DID I WOULD AGREE WITH YOU.
Then have the girls scouts advance so they do. Or disband both the girl and boy scouts and and create a new organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 11:41 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
ridiculous assessment for making "boy" scouts gender neutral.
Scouting in general should be gender-neutral. There is no logical reason that I can see for why it shouldn't be.

And that goes for boys wanting to take part in activities/events that the Girl Scouts do.

It's pretty stupid how it is structured, frankly.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:46 AM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Scouting in general should be gender-neutral. There is no logical reason that I can see for why it shouldn't be.

And that goes for boys wanting to take part in activities/events that the Girl Scouts do.

It's pretty stupid how it is structured, frankly.
generations of girl schools, boy scouts, girl scouts. If people want to end tradition then end it all and make it all co gender. But don't try to pick and choose which to target while allowing or supporting seperation of genders in other regards.

What some of us see, is this a attack on boy scouts while still supporting seperation of gender when it suits their wants or needs.

yes I am traditionalist in this regard.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:49 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What's wrong with Girl Scouts?
I was in brownies & girl scouts, a waaaaay long time ago so I don't really remember it much. However, I have said forever that I wished I could've been in boy scouts because they actually teach you outdoor skills, which is what I'm interested in. I don't recall getting that at all when I was in the girl scouts. Just selling cookies.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:49 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
If the Girl Scouts don't do kayaking then change the Girl Scouts and their leadership. If a manager at a company isn't doing things right, or the company isn't being ran right you fire the managers. You don't send the employees to another company.
There is the problem, right there. A troop of Girl Scouts is only as good as the volunteers who lead it. A lot of nice moms are willing to give a lot of time to do it, but let’s face it, not as many women are knowledgeable or eager to rappel off a cliff, or kayak down a river or pitch a lean to in the woods. If girls want to do these things, which they do, then they need male leadership to show them how.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:52 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Then have the girls scouts advance so they do. Or disband both the girl and boy scouts and and create a new organization.
"Have the girl scouts advance" ?

like I get to waltz in and tell these people what to do? LOL

disband the two organizations? like what? we waive a majic wand and tell them to close the doors?

how about this BAS and GS go about their own business the way the want to? kind of like they are currently doing. geez

Old 10-12-2017, 11:53 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
There is the problem, right there. A troop of Girl Scouts is only as good as the volunteers who lead it. A lot of nice moms are willing to give a lot of time to do it, but let’s face it, not as many women are knowledgeable or eager to rappel off a cliff, or kayak down a river or pitch a lean to in the woods. If girls want to do these things, which they do, then they need male leadership to show them how.
?? Why do they need male leadership to do it? Are you saying women don't kayak or rock climb? I kayak, I build an awesome fire. I've taken a wilderness survival class. I don't need men to lead it. That's a strange opinion. I'm not saying ban men from leadership, that's ridiculous as well. But kayaking or rock climbing does not require only a man to teach it.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:06 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,807,433 times
The Boys Scout leadership is in a bind.

Numbers are declining and no signs this will turn around.

Not only are there more competing activities these days, but Evangelicals and Mormons are creating their own scouting programs and pulling their kids out.

Non-Republican parents were appalled by the political rally at the Jamboree. They did not sign their kids up to be Republicans.

I suspect many didn't sign them up at all this fall. Once the enrollment numbers were in, the BS board decided they needed to do something.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:08 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
?? Why do they need male leadership to do it? Are you saying women don't kayak or rock climb? I kayak, I build an awesome fire. I've taken a wilderness survival class. I don't need men to lead it. That's a strange opinion. I'm not saying ban men from leadership, that's ridiculous as well. But kayaking or rock climbing does not require only a man to teach it.
Women can and do lead outdoor activities.

Den mothers they are called. Was once one myself.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:12 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,948,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Why can't a girl join the Girl Scouts? Are boys going to join the Girl Scouts now too? How about putting dogs in a beautiful baby contest, or putting birds in a dog show.
Do some research into both programs, and come back and tell us which you honestly think is a better program for preparing young people for life. A program where your rank is determined by your age/grade level (GSA), or a program where you enter at the bottom ("Scout") rank and you only advance once you meet the set criteria for advancement to the next rank (BSA)?? I have a father, two brothers, and two nephews who are, or have been, active members in BSA over the past 42 years. I know exactly which program I would have my kids in, if I had kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies