Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 12:42 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,894,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
generations of girl schools, boy scouts, girl scouts. If people want to end tradition then end it all and make it all co gender. But don't try to pick and choose which to target while allowing or supporting seperation of genders in other regards.

What some of us see, is this a attack on boy scouts while still supporting seperation of gender when it suits their wants or needs.

yes I am traditionalist in this regard.
I'm 100% fine with ending the majority of gender-specific things. Where am I picking and choosing?

Confusing response... unless it wasn't directed at me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 12:45 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,929,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Our Pack is bursting at the seams. And we are in a very liberal area. Now we will have girls too. Gonna need a bigger boat.

Still you raise some good points. As a Den Leader, I sometimes find the CS curriculum to a bit old fashioned. I try to tweak it to make it more interesting. But it is hard to compete with Xbox and the like.

No mention of that speech in our Pack and we ignore politics. When the "Duty to God" lesson comes up, I punt and tell the parents to discuss it with their kids as they see fit.
My dad's managed to be an ASM for the past 39 years in spite of the fact that he is an atheist. Either it's never come up with the other leaders in the troop, or they just think the number of Eagle Mentor pins he has received speaks for itself. One former troop member (and Eagle) decided to study Engineering because of talks with my father in the car about the subject on the way to camping and hiking trips. You can't argue with that kind of influence. If BSA was an overtly religious organization, my father would never have joined, or allowed his sons to join.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:48 PM

20,431 posts, read 12,350,827 times
Quote:
No mention of that speech in our Pack and we ignore politics. When the "Duty to God" lesson comes up, I punt and tell the parents to discuss it with their kids as they see fit.
On Duty to God, I don't think you are "punting" we handle Duty to God as a family thing. I think that is most appropriate. in fact the requirements are as follows
1. discuss with your parent, guardian, denleader or other caring adult (parent is first) what duty to God means.
2. Earn religious emblem for your faith (not something that is done in a den meeting)
3. discuss with your family or family faither leather.... etc.
4. list one think you can do, and then do it for 1 month.

so in reality this is a thing to be done in the family. (and personally as a very religious person, im not trusting my childs faith to someone else.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:51 PM

17,401 posts, read 9,226,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I was in brownies & girl scouts, a waaaaay long time ago so I don't really remember it much. However, I have said forever that I wished I could've been in boy scouts because they actually teach you outdoor skills, which is what I'm interested in. I don't recall getting that at all when I was in the girl scouts. Just selling cookies.
Girl Scouts really is all about the Cookie Sale ...... which is a HUGE business. All those cute little Brownies selling those cookies. Girls can still join GSA, it's just now they will have options.

We could call it "girls liberation" ..... and isn't it interesting how the GSA hates that idea.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:52 PM

51,629 posts, read 25,723,747 times
Quote:
Our Pack is bursting at the seams. And we are in a very liberal area. Now we will have girls too. Gonna need a bigger boat.

Still you raise some good points. As a Den Leader, I sometimes find the CS curriculum to a bit old fashioned. I try to tweak it to make it more interesting. But it is hard to compete with Xbox and the like.

Good idea to leave the politics alone and have the kids talk with their parents about the "Duty to God" lesson.

Our sons were involved for several years, but quit because their Scout Leader wouldn't lay off the religious stuff.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:53 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,256,707 times
Quote:

Our pack leaves the 'Duty to God' section up to the parents. At the same time, as awards chairperson, I will help a scouting family obtain the necessary materials and arrange appropriate ceremonies for the Religious Emblem. Though I'm Mormon, my kids are being raised Catholic. They have the opportunity to earn different medals (though still just the one knot); Light of Christ, Parvuli Dei, Ad Altare Dei and Pope Pius XII. A lot of parents aren't even aware that they can fulfill the 'Duty to God' for their specific religion by completing a workbook designed by their own religious leaders. It does take more time and effort, but as with much of Boy Scouting, there's a reward for that extra effort. The religious emblem is one of only two patches that carry from the Cub Scout to the Boy Scout uniform.

My Mormon family is crazy upset by this news, which is ridiculous since the church already decided to do its own thing. They have no horse in this race anymore. If they cared that much about Boy Scouts, they'd have treated it the way Baden-Powell intended. The LDS kind of views scouts as the activities arm of the priesthood, and too many troops push the boys to earn Eagle by age 14. To me, that defeats the purpose of scouting, which isn't 'make Eagle', but to learn leadership skills and responsibility.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Then why don't the girls and their parents get involved and make the Girl Scouts a better organization that does those things?
well, I think the thing driving this is
1. membership decline.
2. membership decline.
5. Many Scouters (adult BSA leaders) with girls tried GS, found it stifling, nowhere near providing their daughters what BSA provides their sons and got frustrated trying to change things. they started years ago talking about this and moving the ball forward. Now BSA has a good alternative to beef up membership. We will see if it works. I hope it does.

To answer your question, GS wont change. its an out dated model whose day is past.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:55 PM

13,642 posts, read 20,734,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
On Duty to God, I don't think you are "punting" we handle Duty to God as a family thing. I think that is most appropriate. in fact the requirements are as follows
1. discuss with your parent, guardian, denleader or other caring adult (parent is first) what duty to God means.
2. Earn religious emblem for your faith (not something that is done in a den meeting)
3. discuss with your family or family faither leather.... etc.
4. list one think you can do, and then do it for 1 month.

so in reality this is a thing to be done in the family. (and personally as a very religious person, im not trusting my childs faith to someone else.
Guess I am getting at least one thing right.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:57 PM

51,629 posts, read 25,723,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I'm 100% fine with ending the majority of gender-specific things. ...
I am 100% okay with it too.

Our girls enjoyed the Pinewood Derbies with their brothers. They loved cooking over a campfire. They were down with making neckerchief slides.

They are grown now, but every vacation they go on, they send us photos of them at the top of one mountain or another.

They would have loved Boy Scouts.

They found Girl Scouts to be boring and too goody-two-shoes for their tastes.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
On news this AM it was claimed cookie sales generate $500,000,000.00 for the Girl Scouts. Anyone think it'll be long until there's Boys & Girls Cookies on the market?
nope not happening.

and yea, that's the number I read in this thread on the link to a story about the GS response. they are a HUGE business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies