Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 05:49 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I wonder what the reaction would be if some boys wanted to join the Girl Scouts.
They'd most likely be okay with it. This is not at it's core about gender equality, it's about declining enrollment numbers, so the boy scouts are looking for ways to increase their numbers (and thus membership dues). The Girl Scouts are also struggling, not happy with this decision, and would probably be okay as long as it was set up the way this is, where it is only the very little children (Cub Scouts) and the almost-adults (Eagle Scout candidates).

The vast majority of the Boy Scouts will remain boys only. Once the little girls are aged out of cub scouts, they will be funneled to the Girl Scouts.

Cub Scouts are little children, I don't think it matters one whit at that age if they are in the same groups whether it's little boys in Girl Scouts or little girls in Cub Scouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 06:29 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How exactly is allowing girls in the BSA feminizing it?

Are there any proposed changes to the activities?

Our pack meeting is tonight. I'll be curious to see if anything is said.
The feminization will come after this plan has been implemented. Very incrementally the girls and their mothers will start objecting to various things that the boys do. Count on it. Within 10 years they will no longer be known as the Boy Scouts either. They will simply be Scouts so that the girls don't feel excluded.

The result of all this will be an accelerating loss of boys in scouting. Its been a long time but back when I was a Boy Scout, part of the fun was that everything we did was boy stuff. I recall going camping a few times where there weren't any facilities. We dug latrines and used them without giving it a second thought. Those "roughing it" trips were a lot of fun. No way are trips like that happening once girls are in the troops.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:34 PM

14 posts, read 7,357 times
Wow. So much hate for the Girl Scouts here. This is disturbing!

Seems like many think Boy Scouts is all that and a bag of chips. Yes, it might be good for some girls, who desperately want time with their family (fathers?) to do things because otherwise they are shunned at home. In that case, they should go for it. Maybe the little time they get with the family will make a difference in their lives.

The BS are poaching girls to bolster their ranks (they need more membership money due to the sex abuse cases payouts and the Mormons leaving the group)

I would never put my daughters in a Boy Scout program. Just because boys do it, doesn't mean it is better. Just because you have a penis, doesn't mean you are better!

GS Cookies > BS Popcorn

Old 10-12-2017, 06:37 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
?? Why do they need male leadership to do it? Are you saying women don't kayak or rock climb? I kayak, I build an awesome fire. I've taken a wilderness survival class. I don't need men to lead it. That's a strange opinion. I'm not saying ban men from leadership, that's ridiculous as well. But kayaking or rock climbing does not require only a man to teach it.
You are just one woman. I fail to see your argument. I am talking about the fact that most women cannot and will not be able to lead the girls scout troops to do all the things they want.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:40 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
The BSA does popcorn sales. When my nephews were both in (they both quit after a few years), I used to get the gift cans for Christmas presents.
FYI, my son spent $15. for a bag of popped popcorn from a Boy Scout troop. He’s still shell shocked.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:46 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I don't know, I don't have kids so I don't research that. My point is that the boy scouts had more interesting & fun activities to do than the girl scouts so I can imagine being allowed now to partake in those activities would be exciting for many girls.
Likely it would be exciting for the girls, but how does this benefit the boys? Boys being boys won't be tolerated once the girls and their moms start complaining that the boys are acting like boys.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:51 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
The feminization will come after this plan has been implemented. Very incrementally the girls and their mothers will start objecting to various things that the boys do. Count on it. Within 10 years they will no longer be known as the Boy Scouts either. They will simply be Scouts so that the girls don't feel excluded.

The result of all this will be an accelerating loss of boys in scouting. Its been a long time but back when I was a Boy Scout, part of the fun was that everything we did was boy stuff. I recall going camping a few times where there weren't any facilities. We dug latrines and used them without giving it a second thought. Those "roughing it" trips were a lot of fun. No way are trips like that happening once girls are in the troops.
That's ridiculous - if you think little girls can't "squat in the woods" -- you know nothing about little girls.
BSA has already said Uniforms won't change and the program won't change.

For those who think that the Girl Scouts would ever accept boys into their program .... you know nothing about the Girl Scouts or how they operate. BSA is going "Family" and while the Left (and the "men only" right) may not be able to assimilate that -- it will be a very popular move.

I deal with children daily - they will be very, very excited about this - it could just be a "business" decision because of enrollments .... or it could be that the BSA is has moving into the 21st Century.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:14 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Boy scouts do cooler stuff than girl scouts.

Source: I was in boy scouts and my wife was in girl scouts.

I had trips with kayaking, rafting, hiking, camping, wilderness survival, archery, etc...
Her groups made bracelets at camp and sold cookies.

And Girl Scouts couldn't do those things because....?

Old 10-12-2017, 07:28 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

And Girl Scouts couldn't do those things because....?
They could, but many of the troupes don't.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:54 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,277,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Likely it would be exciting for the girls, but how does this benefit the boys? Boys being boys won't be tolerated once the girls and their moms start complaining that the boys are acting like boys.

Well, as a mom of two boys (and girls), I'm quite familiar with the concept of "boys [ ] acting like boys". Why would I suddenly be freaked out by that just because I also have a girl. Moms have also been part of scouting forever. For our cub scouts, half our leaders are women, our committee chair is a woman, and our packmaster is a woman. For boy scouts, because the troops are boy-led, there are far fewer adult positions, so likewise there are fewer females. Your premise that women are going to force change is way off base. We're part of scouting, we know the drill, we're not going to change that. For anyone that doesn't like the way Boy Scouts does something, they can go back to girl scouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies