Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 03:12 PM

46,953 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Not sure of your point.
Sure, they do make a few good movies but most of them are a waste.of.time.
Sturgeon's Law - "90% of everything is crud".

Then again, from where I'm sitting, 100% of NFL games are a waste of time and entertainment is the second-largest export industry in the US, so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 03:15 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
It isn't an either or choice. I can boycott both, no problem.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Nope. In fact, I’m watching a full slate of movies today, then I’m gonna be stuck to the RedZone all morning and afternoon tomorrow while I grill some brats.

Gonna be a great weekend.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:50 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
I'll bet you're a guy, right? That's why you couldn't bear to let go of the NFL. Not only that, it was clear that you don't go to the movies very often. So you have no idea what's available.

Football may be fun to watch but, let's face it, it's mostly pretty mindless. There is also a correlation with brain damage among players and domestic violence among viewers.

Hollywood, on the other hand, creates movies that are often educational in their own way, and often even qualify as art.

Perhaps you should spend as much time with movies as you do with football, and then you could judge more accurately.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:52 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
IMO Hollywood is much more deserving of a general boycott than the NFL.

With the NFL, figure out the national anthem situation and let's move on. Either the anthem is no longer played, or it is played, and the players will stand. Problem solved, people can get back to enjoying the games.

Hollywood on the other hand is almost incorrigible. A left wing, immoral cesspool. I've pretty much done my own personal boycott against them for 10 years or more, I've probably gone to 4 movies over that time. I've missed nothing along the way. If America stopped going to the movies in great numbers, perhaps a message would be sent.
So I imagine you've been boycotting Fox News as well? An absolute cesspool--starting with Roger Ailes.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:59 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Sturgeon's Law - "90% of everything is crud".

Then again, from where I'm sitting, 100% of NFL games are a waste of time and entertainment is the second-largest export industry in the US, so...
To each their own. I'm a fantasy player and get plenty of entertainment out of having a chance to win life altering money every weekend. And if that doesn't happen and I only break even for the entire season -- it's still better than going to the movies, and lining Hollywood's pockets.

Someone else mentioned reading and I am in agreement with that. Much rather be reading than watching a movie.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I'll bet you're a guy, right? That's why you couldn't bear to let go of the NFL. Not only that, it was clear that you don't go to the movies very often. So you have no idea what's available.

Football may be fun to watch but, let's face it, it's mostly pretty mindless. There is also a correlation with brain damage among players and domestic violence among viewers.

Hollywood, on the other hand, creates movies that are often educational in their own way, and often even qualify as art.

Perhaps you should spend as much time with movies as you do with football, and then you could judge more accurately.
Educational movies? Few and far between.

Loved Apollo 13. Loved Valkyrie. Probably a few others along the way that taught me something.
But it's just not my thing anymore.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
So I imagine you've been boycotting Fox News as well? An absolute cesspool--starting with Roger Ailes.
I watch no news at all. Used to watch O'Reilly a bit but even that has been 7 or 8 years. Never watched Hannity, or any of the other ones on Fox.

I get 100% of my info from either the radio, or from the internet. 100%.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:05 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,468 times
Why not boycott both? Movies nowadays are all computers and IMO are pretty bad or remakes of classics. NFL is full over overpaid crybabies. I prefer watching college football to be honest

Old 10-14-2017, 05:20 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
oh stop -- watch if you want -- don't if you don't want to -- and just shut up about it.

UGH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies