Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 04:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Will there be "elective" classes for other world religions?
Christianity has played a huge role in North American and US history.

Quote:
Just do an elective on World Religions and everyone can be happy.
I would imagine that would be covered in History/Social Studies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 05:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Behind the rest of the world in science.
Behind the rest of the world in math.
Behind the rest of the world in geography.

Country founded on a WALL between church and state. No "state" religion is enshrined in law as well as many statements fro the founders.

Yet we should teach a specific scripture? I'm reading about Warren Jeffs right now - child abuser, official leader of a a massive "christian" church. Should we teach his views? Or those of the "papists" who the KKK an southerners disliked as much as jews and blacks?

Don't they have sunday school and churches any more?

KY....what a joke! All these places which are already 2nd world going for full witch doctor status.....

Let's leave it to churches and colleges (elective)...

Old 10-15-2017, 05:21 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Jefferson:

"A lively and lasting sense of filial duty is more effectually impressed on the mind of a son or daughter by reading King Lear, than by all the dry volumes of ethics, and divinity, that ever were written."

"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent. If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all"

"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth"

"I am for freedom of religion, & against all maneuvres to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another"

(all Thomas Jefferson)

Hopefully, Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism will be a big part of the KY courseware...

Old 10-15-2017, 05:24 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Behind the rest of the world in science.
Behind the rest of the world in math.
Behind the rest of the world in geography.

Country founded on a WALL between church and state. No "state" religion is enshrined in law as well as many statements fro the founders.

Yet we should teach a specific scripture? I'm reading about Warren Jeffs right now - child abuser, official leader of a a massive "christian" church. Should we teach his views? Or those of the "papists" who the KKK an southerners disliked as much as jews and blacks?

Don't they have sunday school and churches any more?

KY....what a joke! All these places which are already 2nd world going for full witch doctor status.....

Let's leave it to churches and colleges (elective)...
Timothy McVeigh went to church full-time when he blew up the Murrah building. His church was anti-black and anti-Jew.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:45 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Will there be "elective" classes for other world religions?

Probably not and therein lies the problem.

Just do an elective on World Religions and everyone can be happy.
I had a class on world religions when I was in high school, a Catholic high school. It was a compare and contrast type of class.
It was a good class as it gave you the basics on each religion. Something you wouldn't go off and learn on your own.

It's such a shame the public schools are afraid of religions.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:50 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
I took a class about the bible in college.

It was called Mythology of Religions.

We studied all the religions as myth. It was very enlightening.

It's a shame they don't care if students take science though. They will not be able to compete for the high paying good jobs that foreigners will take in this and other countries. They will be in the Dark Ages.

Make America Stupid Again.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:17 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times
I think kids should have the option of bible study but NOT in lieu of science class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/...le-school-call

I personally think that students should have the option of bible study in lieu of science classes.

Personally, I am glad that a governor is standing up for the bible to bring a sense of cohesion and morality to our schools.

Ky. public schools allowed to add Bible literacy classes

Glad, schools have the option of bible-based social studies courses as opposed to social studies courses that indoctrinate children with Hollywood values.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:33 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times
Paraphrasing Barry Crimmins:

I had a friend that was arrested in Kentucky. He was charged with smuggling books across the state line. Got off on a technicality. Nobody there could prove they were books.

Last edited by MMS02760; 10-16-2017 at 07:42 AM..

Old 10-16-2017, 07:35 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
I think kids should have the option of bible study but NOT in lieu of science class.
It's not in lieu of science class. If you read the articles this is an elective class and does not replace any of the core curriculum classes.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That's it. You are on ignore.

I am a Christian, but the place for religious education is the home or the church, and I find it appalling that you think kids should be able to opt out of science.

Man, do I ever feel better now!
Which gospels? What versions? Whose interpretations?

The US has historically ranked middle of the road as it relates to science scores submitted for international comparisons. The ability for students to opt out of science will further challenge the ability of the US to compete without importing foreign talent/ skill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies