U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel the confederate flag has a racist message?
Yes and I am a liberal 43 18.45%
Yes and I am a conservative 9 3.86%
Yes and I am an independent 53 22.75%
No and I am a liberal 13 5.58%
No and I am a conservative 50 21.46%
No and I am an independent 65 27.90%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 08:50 PM

26,180 posts, read 22,670,019 times

Advertisements

It's just an old flag. It can represent whatever people want it to represent.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:51 PM

21,578 posts, read 8,372,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
They did not try to tear the nation apart. They wanted to leave and form their own country peacefully. If they had been allowed to do so there would not have been a civil war. Lincoln would not allow them to leave peaceably he wanted to preserve the union.
Leave peacefully? They raised an army. They attacked Fort Sumter. Did you not know this?

If they wanted to leave peacefully, they should have worked through the legal process of separation. Held a referendum. Passed an Amendment. Whatever.

Instead they raised an army and levied war against the U.S. That's the very definition of treason.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:51 PM

2,802 posts, read 685,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I have no issue paying taxes.

I do not want my tax money to go to any institution that flies a Confederate Flag. Our constitution WAS written with the idea that all men were created equal. The nation grappled with the slavery question right up until the Civil War. Southerners wouldn’t join this newly created country without their damn slaves.

It was a compromise. However, the South attempted to destroy the nation with the greatest constitutional protections in the history of mankind. And for that, they had to pay AND lose their slaves.

They created the CSA with the purpose of keeping and maintaining slavery...not for any other reason. They said so as I’ve quoted. Argue with them, not me.

Yeah, but they aren’t the equal of US Army veterans. They were a rebel, traitorous military, and their leaders from Davis, Stephens and Lee on down, should’ve been hung after the war.

Your brothers maybe. Not mine.
I agree with all of this.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:52 PM

6,680 posts, read 2,113,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Baloney.

Confederates attacked U.S. forces at Fort Sumter. They launched into a war and have been whining about losing ever.

If Confederates wanted their own Brexit, they should have filed the paperwork and negotiated the process of separation. Held a referendum. Passed an amendment to the Constitution. Whatever.

Really? so the civil war was fought over Fort Sumter?............that's like believing the Vietnam war was fought over the Tonkin incident.

Actually, they did have referendums in their states to leave the union. They did file the paperwork to Lincoln and Congress.

All Lincoln had to do was accept it and negotiate their exit.....but like every tyrant in history, he sent troops to the South to force them back in the Union by force.

if they were traitors, why have them back by force in the Union? let them go......what's the problem?

Old 10-14-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's just an old flag. It can represent whatever people want it to represent.
Given how it all turned out, they should be waving a white flag.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Leave peacefully? They raised an army. They attacked Fort Sumter. Did you not know this?

If they wanted to leave peacefully, they should have worked through the legal process of separation. Held a referendum. Passed an Amendment. Whatever.

Instead, they raised an army and levied war against the U.S. That's the very definition of treason.

Wrong history dude.......Lincoln sent the Navy to provoke FT. Sumter.

didn't Washington and the other "traitors" raised an army when they declared their independence from the British?.....I didn't know Washington's plans was to wage war on the British and conquer Great Britain also. The tyrant British King sent troops over here, we didn't send troops over there.

The South had no intentions of invading the North or waging war on the North,,,,,,they wanted to be independent and be left alone.......all Lincoln had to do was accept it and let them be but he didn't do that, did he?

Old 10-14-2017, 09:08 PM

5,480 posts, read 6,551,896 times
Quote:

Instead they raised an army and levied war against the U.S. That's the very definition of treason.
Judging by your username, you should have taken more time getting here and stopped by the library for a history book. Your understanding of how the Civil War started is so far from reality that it's hard to believe you ever studied it.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:12 PM

9,500 posts, read 5,321,961 times
Quote:

Perhaps you should do a little more studying on the civil war. If they had been left alone to leave there would not have been a war.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Really? so the civil war was fought over Fort Sumter?............that's like believing the Vietnam war was fought over the Tonkin incident.

Actually, they did have referendums in their states to leave the union. They did file the paperwork to Lincoln and Congress.

All Lincoln had to do was accept it and negotiate their exit.....but like every tyrant in history, he sent troops to the South to force them back in the Union by force.

if they were traitors, why have them back by force in the Union? let them go......what's the problem?
It wasn't up to Lincoln to split up the nation. He took an oath to defend the Constitution and the U.S.

Unlike Lee, Lincoln honored his oath.

Anyway, Congress is likely the branch of government who would have negotiated an exit.

If Confederates didn't want a war, then raising an arm and attacking Ft. Sumter was a damn dumb move.

Confederates wanted to split off in order to avoid any possible future interference with owning slaves. Hardly an honorable cause.

Then they lost.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:19 PM

the definition of treason: the crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill the sovereign or overthrow the government.

the South didn't want to overthrow the U.S. government or kill the sovereignty of the Northern states. They wanted to be independent and be left alone.

now somebody in the North which name starts with A.L. , did killed the sovereignty of the South and did it in the most violent and brutal way AND OVERTHREW their democratically elected government.

just like the Federal Government have gone to other countries, violate their sovereignty and overthrow their democratically elected government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies