Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel the confederate flag has a racist message?
Yes and I am a liberal 43 18.45%
Yes and I am a conservative 9 3.86%
Yes and I am an independent 53 22.75%
No and I am a liberal 13 5.58%
No and I am a conservative 50 21.46%
No and I am an independent 65 27.90%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:12 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,586,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Pfffft...I’m not a social justice warrior at all. I don’t know what the hell You’re talking about.

I didn’t say that everyone from the South is racist, but yeah, it does suck anyway.

That said, explain Southern Heritage and Southern pride. Pride in what? What’s so distinct in the South that can’t be found elsewhere?
What's so distinct in your home that can't be found else where?
What's so distinct about you, that can not be found in anyone else?
Do you take pride in your appearance? If not, then you would not no matter what, understand that sense of 'pride' Southern's feel about themselves and their homes and or how they were raised.

Just so you know, the citizens in the South, did not agree with everything (laws) that the state governments implemented. Since politics has become the new religion, fewer and fewer people will understand, the Southern pride and Heritage ... that was the foundation this nation was built upon.

People went to jail, for teaching black folks (which was illegal) how to read, for standing up for what was right, not for what was legal. Some lost their lives; were berated and labeled n lovers ...

If I could pick up some people and throw them back in time, I'd do it, but I can't ... so here we are, no smarter now than they were 150 years ago. ~ smh ~

Old 10-19-2017, 10:15 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,402,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If the south wanted to form their own country, they should have pursued legal means. Hold a referendum. Pass an Amendment. It may have taken a few years. But the south would have ended up with their own nation.
Just curious. If the South went ahead as you say above, would you then be OK with the Flag?

Old 10-19-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Nobody's head is spinning and nobody is spitting out green pea soup. Get a grip.

Regardless of whether the Confederate flag of today is actually the flag of Robert E. Lee’s Northern Virginia army or the CSA, it is still the flag of traitors.

It is one thing for colonies to rebel against colonial rulers, ie. other nations.

Quite another for states to levy war against the nation they are part of. That, my friend, is treason.

If the south wanted to form their own country, they should have pursued legal means. Hold a referendum. Pass an Amendment. It may have taken a few years. But the south would have ended up with their own nation.

If the south still wants to throw off tyranny and pursue their own nation, fine by me. Get an Amendment passed.

I'd vote for it.
Quote:
wth do you think they tried to do and it was katy bar the door on that one ... Long before the first shots were fired on Fort Sumter

btw: shouldn't the U.S. have pursued the same means you suggest with Great Britain, rather than going to war? same thing, different war ...

Old 10-19-2017, 10:21 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Just curious. If the South went ahead as you say above, would you then be OK with the Flag?
If the south had a referendum, got an Amendment passed, petitioned the courts, whatever, and became their own nation, they could fly any flag they wanted to do. It would be their decision.

But as long as we are all the United States of America, we fly the Stars and Stripes.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:28 PM

17,983 posts, read 27,442,251 times
Quote:
Southerners picked a fight and then got beat.
Correct.

Democrats picked a fight and then got beat.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
But as long as we are all the United States of America, we fly the Stars and Stripes.
Many in the South fly both. Remember, there were 1000's upon 1000's of Southerners that fought for America in WWII proudly under the Stars and Stripes. And then went back to the South and to still honor both the US Flag as they always had, and the Confederate Flag honoring those who fought and died while defending their homeland and family from the Union invasion, along with Southern Pride, whether some out there can understand that or not.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
wth do you think they tried to do and it was katy bar the door on that one ... Long before the first shots were fired on Fort Sumter

btw: shouldn't the U.S. have pursued the same means you suggest with Great Britain, rather than going to war? same thing, different war ...
So your contention is that trying legal route was a lost cause. Well, so was the war, as luck would have it.

Several differences between the Revolutionary War and the Civil War.

First, the Revolutionary War was against a colonial power not each other.

Second, the Revolutionary War wasn't fought in order to maintain slavery. Slight difference there.

But the big difference is that the rebels won the Revolutionary War. Sadly, the rebels lost the Civil War. Or at least they did according to the history books my schools used. Obviously, other schools taught a different version of history.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:51 PM

Strange that you mention "schools" as you stated above that the "Southerners picked a fight".

The South wanted it's independence. They wanted the North out of their territory and then be left alone. If anyone picked a fight, it was the North, when they invaded Virginia in the First Battle of Bull Run.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Correct.

Democrats picked a fight and then got beat.
The Confederate States did not establish political parties. Which means, both the R and the D team were present and accounted for ...

Old 10-19-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Strange that you mention "schools" as you stated above that the "Southerners picked a fight".

The South wanted it's independence. They wanted the North out of their territory and then be left alone. If anyone picked a fight, it was the North, when they invaded Virginia in the First Battle of Bull Run.
The high school I attended taught about the attack on Fort Sumter as the start of the Civil War.

Different history books I guess.

Also the history books we had were clear that there were states in the south, not territories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.