Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 07:52 PM

273 posts, read 201,352 times

Advertisements

I noticed it being used more and more often by successful socialite-type people whenever their power is even the slightest bit threatened. As someone who lives with their parents and is pocketing lots of money living rent free, I have no idea why many in America look down on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 07:40 PM

502 posts, read 391,564 times
Where I'm from it's not uncommon to live with your parents until you get married and sometimes even after that. So I'm not sure what you mean.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:42 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,613,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Where I'm from it's not uncommon to live with your parents until you get married and sometimes even after that. So I'm not sure what you mean.
Where are you from? Lots of people are looked down upon if they live with their parents too long. I don't agree with it but it happens.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:43 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
Basement anywhere is not a particulalry pleasant place to live. Same as saying somebody lives in a dump. You might also ask why is that? It's just the way it is. If you live in mansion, you are looked up to. It's called life.

ps

where do you live?

Old 12-15-2018, 07:43 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,962,513 times
WHY?
'cause it works.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:46 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
A lot of people feel that, if a guy (especially) still lives at home, he is not very successful and is a moocher. This is nothing new, almost 60 years ago, girls I dated would look down on other guys because they still hadn't left the nest. They felt they were "Mama's boys.", not men.

Personally, I never wanted my own two sons to leave home. They were welcome to stay as long as they wanted, but both did leave and got their own places.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:48 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPlatter View Post
I noticed it being used more and more often by successful socialite-type people whenever their power is even the slightest bit threatened. As someone who lives with their parents and is pocketing lots of money living rent free, I have no idea why many in America look down on that.
To me, the implication is that the person to whom it is applied is incapable of providing for themselves (or unwilling) and must live rent-free in their parents' basements. Even Trump has used this trope.

I've lived in three basement apartments, for which I've paid the going rent. One of them was really nice, in a great house and great neighborhood. The other two not so much, but I was a starving student.

I'm a boomer, and I will say that we couldn't WAIT to get out on our own and pay rent, even if it was a dump shared with too many weird roommates. Like buying your first car, it was a visible symbol of growing up.

OP, if you are living rent-free even though you could afford to pay rent and only contributing your presence to your parents' house, I have to say that yes, I'd look down on you for that. I like independent people. If you are contributing materially in ways other than money, that's different.

Last edited by jacqueg; 12-15-2018 at 08:06 PM..

Old 12-15-2018, 07:49 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,521,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPlatter View Post
You have no idea why many people look down on mooching off your parents? Really?

Old 12-15-2018, 07:51 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Because most of us have lived in a basement...and the reasons become clear. Those are usually the lowest cost apartments...IF they are an apartment. If someone has to put a bedroom down there - it usually would not meet code, let alone the moisture, insulation dust, mold, etc.

As a remodeling contractor I got to visit a lot of houses. I will never forget the woman who loved her bulldogs so much that she gave them a bedroom in her small 2-bedroom house. Unfortunately, she also had a teenager - he slept in the basement. Really!

Failure to launch can be a real problem. We don't live in the little village anymore where the whole family stays in the house forever (well, some people do, but not most)...

I left home at 16 but then an arrest sent me home again (probation). Then I left for good at 17. I'm glad - but I love my parents and we are very close. I just desired to make my own way in the world...which differed greatly from theirs (counterculture and all).

Old 12-15-2018, 07:56 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,398,530 times
Would you rather be a basement dweller or a person living in a van down by the river?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies