Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 08:44 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppose forum racists View Post
Sorry. I misunderstood your post. Are you a liberal? I would be happy about that.
No. Liberals are NIMBY racists. Don't want anything to do with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 08:48 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Look at the neighborhoods and schools.

Regardless of the racial demographics of the overall population, that's (neighborhoods and schools) where racial segregation rears its ugly head.

Oregon is mostly white. Segregation- in schools or otherwise- is largely irrelevant. If a state is overwhelmingly white- as is Oregon- the neighborhoods and schools are going to reflect that. How could they not?

Your point might have merit in a place like California or New York. Except that using the word segregation implies some kind of invisible hand at work.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppose forum racists View Post
What is your politics? It is hard for me to understand. Not liberal but don't support David Duke?
Libertarian.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Oregon is mostly white. Segregation- in schools or otherwise- is largely irrelevant.
No, it isn't irrelevant if Blacks are clustered in certain neighborhoods and schools. That's racial segregation, regardless of the state population's overall racial demographics.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
No, it isn't irrelevant if Blacks are clustered in certain neighborhoods and schools. That's racial segregation, regardless of the state population's overall racial demographics.

You are not making any sense.

According to the demographic numbers, there are barely any black people in Oregon. The few that are there probably welcome living near people they share a bond with.

Are these people forced to live in a certain place? If so, please post the evidence. If not, then using the ignoble term "segregation" is factually incorrect.

Saying Oregon is segregated is akin to saying the city of Detroit is segregated. Both places are dominated by one group.

I have visited Oregon (got married there). It struck me as what it is- very, very white. Coming from Washington, DC, this grabbed my attention, for a couple of hours at least.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
You are not making any sense.
White neighborhoods/schools. Black neighborhoods/schools. That's racial segregation. What about that don't you get?

Oregon's overt racism continues to this day...
Quote:
"PORTLAND, Ore.— Victor Pierce has worked on the assembly line of a Daimler Trucks North America plant here since 1994. But he says that in recent years he’s experienced things that seem straight out of another time. White co-workers have challenged him to fights, mounted “hangman’s nooses†around the factory, referred to him as “boy†on a daily basis, sabotaged his work station by hiding his tools, carved swastikas in the bathroom, and written the word “******†on walls in the factory, according to allegations filed in a complaint to the Multnomah County Circuit Court in February of 2015.

Pierce is one of six African Americans working in the Portland plant whom the lawyer Mark Morrell is representing in a series of lawsuits against Daimler Trucks North America. The cases have been combined and a trial is scheduled for January of 2017.

“They have all complained about being treated poorly because of their race,†Morrell told me. “It’s a sad story—it’s pretty ugly on the floor there.â€
The Racism of Portland, the Whitest City in America - The Atlantic

Old 10-16-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
White neighborhoods/schools. Black neighborhoods/schools. That's racial segregation. What about that don't you get?

Oregon's overt racism continues to this day...

The Racism of Portland, the Whitest City in America - The Atlantic
What constitutes a black area in Portland?

2 black homesteads within 3 miles of each other?

Old 10-16-2017, 09:51 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The Republicans and Democrats in the Oregon State Legislature respect each other and cooperate to get things done and serve the people. That's one big thing that sets this state apart. But it used to be very conservative in most parts, as a carry-over from frontier days. In my lifetime, it has changed drastically in my city and in Portland and in those places, has become quite the opposite.

However, you can find areas almost within walking distance of these cities, that are mired in the past and as hard-right as could be. Medium-sized towns, such as Medford, Roseburg and Albany, are conservative to the hilt and even have Veteran's Day parades. I turned down two promotions to management positions, because I'd have had to live in a couple of them. For me, it would have been like serving time in Purgatory, to be stuck in such places.

The Eastern part of the state is cowboy country and hard to the right, although sparsely-populated. That high basin and range territory, that extends across several western states, has a culture all its own.

So there's a big selection of political and social extremes you can find here. But this is happening all over the country in many states. Even some big cities in Texas are shifting left, for example. I'd be proud to think that Oregon would be one of the leading states in that movement, that is going to pull this nation out of its current predicament.
This kind of attitude is the reason my parents don't go into town except when absolutely necessary. And you ought to know that the people of Medford, Roseburg and any other burg that is conservative don't want you there anyway.

Last edited by redwood66; 10-16-2017 at 10:07 AM..

Old 10-16-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
What constitutes a black area in Portland?

2 black homesteads within 3 miles of each other?
Read the article. Read how Blacks are treated in Portland, even to this day.

Or not. It's your prerogative to choose to remain ignorant. /shrug

Old 10-16-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Read the article. Read how Blacks are treated in Portland, even to this day.

Or not. It's your prerogative to choose to remain ignorant. /shrug
Yes of course, read an article!

You might want to take a basic statistics course. Then take your argument and move it to a jurisdiction that is not dominated by a single demographic as is Oregon. NUMBERS!!!!

Or are you trying to sloppily prove that white liberals dislike blacks? Well I knew that already. You still need a better example than Oregon.

NUMBERS!!!!

NUMBERS provide a lot of answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies