Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 10:24 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times

Advertisements

https://publicpolicy.wharton.upenn.e...nsurance-under

https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statist...Highlights.pdf

I figure that the extra 66% that employers have to pay is an unfunded mandate from the federal government.

I am all for young adult women paying less for auto insurance as actuaries have determined as a group they are safer drivers with less claims as a whole.

Will be interesting when Medicaid and Medicare reimbursements tank even more and more. An increased percentage of health expenditures will be from commercial insurance providers and they are forced to pay 66% more reimbursements for a group that constitutes a majority of their member but yet they can't charge them any more than a much lower reimbursement rate per-capita demographic group.

I can see premiums skyrocketing as low-risk demographics don't participate. There is also likely to be some Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement cuts that will likely be paid for by commercial insurance providers with increased premiums on employers.

One huge issue why insurance companies rushing out of the exchanges is that young men in their 20s are not interested for the most part because of the high premiums from the ban on gender rating.

If they had gender rating, health insurance companies would stay in the exchanges as young men would be willing to pay the much lower premiums.

It will be interesting to see how successful the exchanges would be if they could practice gender rating. I am sure many sign up for the very best plans with low out of pocket maximums if they intend on having a baby later that year.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 10-15-2017 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 10:28 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

A figure that the extra 66% that employers have to pay is an unfunded mandate from the federal government.

Will be interesting when Medicaid and Medicare reimbursements tank even more and more and more will be from commercial insurance providers and they are forced to pay 66% more reimbursements for a group that constitutes a majority of their member but yet they can't charge them any more than a much lower reimbursement rate per-capita demographic group.

One huge issue why insurance companies rushing out of the exchanges is that young men in their 20s are not interested for the most part because of the high premiums from the ban on gender rating.

If they had gender rating, health insurance companies would stay in the exchanges as young men would be willing to pay the much lower premiums.

It will be interesting to see how successful the exchanges would be if they could practice gender rating. I am sure many sign up for the very best plans with low out of pocket maximums if they intend on having a baby later that year.
Maybe obese women that live in Los Angeles and believe in science should be excluded.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:32 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Why do men pay the same health premiums as women, but women 19 to 44 health expenditures are 66% higher

Because the women bear the children even though they are both equally responsible for the child's conception?
The process of Giving birth is very expensive and all men have to do is stay out of the way.

Your age group demographic corresponds with the age spread of a woman's child bearing years and the majority of women bear children sometime within that period..

Your percentage is low. It should be 100% higher just based on child birth factors.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:46 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,335 times
Why do men pay more for car insurance when women are statistically slightly more at risk drivers on average? More accidents are caused by men because more men are on the road, but women are actually more likely to crash or cause an accident.

The same thing can be applied to race.
Why do whites and Asians pay the same car insurance premiums when being far less at risk drivers than blacks or Hispanics on average?

White male privilege anyone? LOL

Old 10-15-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Why do men pay the same health premiums as women, but women 19 to 44 health expenditures are 66% higher

Because the women bear the children even though they are both equally responsible for the child's conception?
The process of Giving birth is very expensive and all men have to do is stay out of the way.

Your age group demographic corresponds with the age spread of a woman's child bearing years and the majority of women bear children sometime within that period..

Your percentage is low. It should be 100% higher just based on child birth factors.
In Arizona a majority of child-births are not even based on commercial insurance.

54% of child born in Arizona are (AHCCS) Medicaid babies.

Many of those Medicaid babies in Arizona are born on withdrawls from illicit substances that their mothers used during pregnancy. Which means low-reimbursement Arizona Medicaid transfers those losses onto commercial health insurance providers.

Basically young men in Flagtaff are not joining the exchanges because the premiums are high because Arizona AHCCS Medicaid is reimbursing at a low rate the children in Maryvale in Phoenix born with withdrawl systems running up huge bills.

Interestingly, every one of those babies born on Medicaid in Arizona the hospitals and providers take a loss on. So, commercial insurance rates just skyrocket for employers, private insurance and those on exchanges.

https://www.kff.org/medicaid/state-i...:%22desc%22%7D

Old 10-15-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Why do men pay more for car insurance when women are statistically slightly more at risk drivers on average? More accidents are caused by men because more men are on the road, but women are actually more likely to crash or cause an accident.

The same thing can be applied to race.
Why do whites and Asians pay the same car insurance premiums when being far less at risk drivers than blacks or Hispanics on average?

White male privilege anyone? LOL
I think if the actuaries have made determined on police reports that women are safer drivers as a group then that is okay for men to pay a premium.

The health exchanges are basically collapsing like a house of cards and 2018 will likely be the last year.

I am sure hundreds of thousands have joined the exchange and chosen a plan with a $2,300 out of pocket limit with the intention of utilizing many times that in health expenditures during a childbirth. That causes loss ratio to skyrocketing and insurers either charge much the following year or they leave.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:00 AM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
I wonder if it's because women are reportedly more attuned to health, and take better care of themselves.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:09 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:

I figure that the extra 66% that employers have to pay is an unfunded mandate from the federal government.

I am all for young adult women paying less for auto insurance as actuaries have determined as a group they are safer drivers with less claims as a whole.

Will be interesting when Medicaid and Medicare reimbursements tank even more and more. An increased percentage of health expenditures will be from commercial insurance providers and they are forced to pay 66% more reimbursements for a group that constitutes a majority of their member but yet they can't charge them any more than a much lower reimbursement rate per-capita demographic group.

I can see premiums skyrocketing as low-risk demographics don't participate. There is also likely to be some Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement cuts that will likely be paid for by commercial insurance providers with increased premiums on employers.

Because men give women the business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf View Post
Look, if it wasn't for the women, and their health, you wouldn't exist.

Your lack of existence is not necessarily a bad thing.

But since you participate in our society, suck it up and pay your share towards womens' health-care.
The OP just took a browbeating.

Quote:
In Arizona a majority of child-births are not even based on commercial insurance.

Many of those Medicaid babies in Arizona are born on withdrawls from illicit substances that their mothers used during pregnancy. Which means low-reimbursement Arizona Medicaid transfers those losses onto commercial health insurance providers.

Basically young men in Flagtaff are not joining the exchanges because the premiums are high because Arizona AHCCS Medicaid is reimbursing at a low rate the children in Maryvale in Phoenix born with withdrawl systems running up huge bills.

Interestingly, every one of those babies born on Medicaid in Arizona the hospitals and providers take a loss on. So, commercial insurance rates just skyrocket for employers, private insurance and those on exchanges.

Easy now. You're treating your fellow posters with nasty facts now. Small sips with this crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Women have more plumming. Women also make less money at their jobs. Think of it as reparations.
I've been very much appreciating my wife's plumbing. She graduated Summa *** Laude and is just pennies away from earning six figures due to state-voted limitations, so yeah, I'm in mourning for the fair treatment of my wife in the workplace.

Last edited by McGowdog; 10-15-2017 at 11:24 AM..

Old 10-15-2017, 11:10 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:

Clue. Most births in this nation are covered by Medicaid and that includes all demographics, across the board. The cost of providing a woman with comprehensive medical care from 12 weeks to birth is more than almost any American family can bear. That includes whites, blacks, browns, etc.

What I would like to know is what's your point to the thread you started?
Are you attempting to portray women as medical leeches? Ripping off the system? Screwing all the guys? Irresponsible bitc#es?

What exactly is the point you are trying to make?

Old 10-15-2017, 11:15 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,069,942 times
Women have more plumming. Women also make less money at their jobs. Think of it as reparations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies