Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:46 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I cope by continuing not to have children. Why bring children into such a sad world?
I don't have kids because of the enormous costs. I like playing video games traveling and coming home to a quiet house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 08:07 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Guess I'm in the minority because life is grand. I'm living the American dream and taking full advantage of it for my family too. As much as some things annoy me, overall, where else can you buy a house, get a good paying job all while starting off with nothing?
This can be done in other countries as well. US isn't That special in that regard. It is as far as US constitution. The fact one can do the above and be able to speak freely and defend ourselves is special. When that is gone, we are not US anymore.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:44 AM

63 posts, read 25,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The American Dream isn't for Americans anymore. It's for any third world foreigner that can crash our shores or borders. For Americans it's a nightmare now.
This country was founded on other cultures. Im sure your ancestors are not native citizens. Im sure they came from some other country too.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:24 PM

62,871 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocheychi View Post
This country was founded on other cultures. Im sure your ancestors are not native citizens. Im sure they came from some other country too.

No, we became a melting pot with an identifying culture and language. My grandparents assimilated into our society and learned English. That's not to say that they gave up their native traditions in the home but out in mainstream they became a part of the melting pot.

Today assimilation is not the norm. Foreigners come here and bring their cultures with them today but refuse to be a part of the melting pot out in mainstream. Illegal immigration is big factor in this.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:37 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Sooner America will no longer be the most powerful nation in the World, for a country that used to be the center of everything , how will Americans cope with that?
I don't speak for everyone, but, no problem! As far as I'm concerned, we've been carrying that load since WWII, that's long enough. So when humanitarian crises arise, don't call us, when economies falter, don't call us, when a third world dictator decides to raid one of their under defended neighbors, don't call us. In fact, a good start might be to transplant the UN in....................... oh.....IDK............France?

Old 10-18-2017, 03:39 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Sooner America will no longer be the most powerful nation in the World, for a country that used to be the center of everything , how will Americans cope with that?
Electing Trump and people like him.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:41 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocheychi View Post
Uh; many of the American/LatAm tribes did NOT "play well" together. Too; I don't think an Inca from 1491 would've been allowed to live IF our Inca did make it to where the Mohawks lived that year.

Too; why did "God" allow the different Indian tribes to almost be destroyed by the "white man"?

Old 10-19-2017, 08:06 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
I don't think being the most powerful country was ever the American dream.

The American dream was the freedom to go out there and make something of your life, to start with humble beginings but to work hard and achieve success and wealth. The old addage that anyone could become President was part of this dream.

The American dream was also a nice house and land, good healthcare, the latest consumer goods, a family and a good standard of living etc etc.

I don't think the American dream has ended, it's just become more difficult, there is no guaranteed job for life or guaranteed wage in many parts of the economy, accomodation is expensive in many succesful cities and American life is increasingly ever more competitive, whilst heath care costs are no longer as affordable as they once were.

Americans seem to look back on the past when the American dream was more obtainable with a certain fondness.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:19 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
I don't think the American dream was to be the most powerful nation in the world. We don't have to be the "center of everything" to be a powerful force for good in the world, and that dream isn't dead or dying. Americans will cope with whatever the future brings, because we are strong and determined and passionate. We will cope with whatever the future brings because we believe in the principles this nation was founded upon, even if we disagree amongst ourselves about how to uphold those principles, and which are more important. Ultimately, we are a powerful nation, and a resourceful nation.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:22 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I don't want to fund being the most powerful nation in the world. I only want to fund a "you better not attack us or you are toast" nation.
Yes, I just wish more people understood this.

I also believe it is possible to revive the American dream for our future generations if we stop globalism from infesting our country any further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies