Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 06:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Employer paid healthcare is already trending downwards.

This is from an article last year. Figures are likely worse today.

"The share of Fortune’s best companies that still pay for 100% of employee’s healthcare has dropped to 9% this year from a peak of 34% in 2001. That big drop represents a broader workplace trend — employees are covering more of their health insurance premiums than in previous years. Workers with employer-sponsored health plans now contribute an average of 18% of the premium for single coverage and 29% of the premium for family coverage, according to a study by the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation ."

Source: The Number of Employers Offering Fully-Paid Health Care Is Plummeting

Therefore, get a job, is getting less and less likely to come with health benefits.
Employer paid healthcare will always trend downward as the government picks up more and more of the liability. Employers will pay employees as little as possible, and employees wont really complain if government picks up and subsidizes things like food stamps and health insurance.

Subsidize more, get less employer sponsored benefits.

Government is probably the biggest anti union promoter in the country, which is ironic given the lefts support for both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 07:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Wait didn't you at least get to stop paying the premium for your plan if you were to cancel it? Or was your work plan 100% paid for so you didn't have a premium either way?
if one stops paying the premium for their plan, who pays for care when you get sick? Someone has to pickup the tab...

Old 10-16-2017, 08:03 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Nope not gonna happen, didn't when those that dropped their coverage did it under ACA. I tried it years ago when I had two different coverage's and wanted to drop mine at work, and when I asked asked how much of the cost saving I would get out of it they said None, I made than continue to provide coverage even though I did not need it, they deserved it.
Correct. For nearly all the people who are not in the realm of golden parachutes or have a skill where the demand is extremely higher than the supply, they and unions (Most of the older ones have it as part of union dues only) are going to be the only ones getting 100% paid health care. Mostly everyone else in the US who are FT employees would not get the benefit of a higher salary if 100% paid health care were declined.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:08 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Employer paid healthcare is already trending downwards.

This is from an article last year. Figures are likely worse today.

"The share of Fortune’s best companies that still pay for 100% of employee’s healthcare has dropped to 9% this year from a peak of 34% in 2001. That big drop represents a broader workplace trend — employees are covering more of their health insurance premiums than in previous years. Workers with employer-sponsored health plans now contribute an average of 18% of the premium for single coverage and 29% of the premium for family coverage, according to a study by the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation ."

Source: The Number of Employers Offering Fully-Paid Health Care Is Plummeting

Therefore, get a job, is getting less and less likely to come with health benefits.
I have been working for about 25 years in my profession (since graduating from college) and I've never had one employer that paid 100% of my healthcare premiums, so I'm surprised by that 34% stat from 2001. Perhaps I picked the wrong employers to work for ?

I think the most a previous employer has paid towards by healthcare premiums was 80%. (I have been at 70% for the last 12 years or so)

Except for Govt I'd like to know what employers are paying 100% of their employees premiums.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:15 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Wait didn't you at least get to stop paying the premium for your plan if you were to cancel it? Or was your work plan 100% paid for so you didn't have a premium either way?
fwiw, in the US, one would become the secondary of the other. In the US, declining a benefit does not translate to a new benefit being given. The majority of the US does not have a "a al carte" menu of benefits where certain item could be chosen in lieu income. In the US it's pretty much you use or you lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies