Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2017, 08:17 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
my husband has had a tough upbringing. He grew up poor and still was when I met him. His parents had health issues and couldn't fully support him, they had to go on government programs and he worked where he could with school. At the time when I met him, his family was about to loose everything because of lack of money. I helped them recover financially. I be damned if someone tell me someone in a bad financial situation is of their doing. shame on you.
Exactly none of that has anything to do with him being a man, which is the premise of the OP. Did I say health issues couldn't legitimately handicap a person? No.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:19 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,119,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Exactly none of that has anything to do with him being a man, which is the premise of the OP. Did I say health issues couldn't legitimately handicap a person? No.
NO, you said ", lots of them have a complete lack of focus on introspection and self improvement" Again SHAME ON YOU.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:22 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,451 times
Quote:
NO, you said ", lots of them have a complete lack of focus on introspection and self improvement" Again SHAME ON YOU.
And lots of them do, and it is a handicap. Bringing health issues up in a thread who's premise is that men as a group are being oppressed/treated unfairly/marginalized does not relate to the topic, which is what my comments were intended to be related to. Basically you are taking what I said in relation to the OP and acting like I was applying it to people with debilitating disabilities, which is really just a dishonest smear on the intent of my words. If you are a man and you are failing and you think it is because of systemic oppression of men in our society, you need to look inwards at improving yourself, not outwards for something to blame. < There I added some context to it since apparently it is difficult to derive from the topic of the thread.

And by the way, that advice applies to almost everyone. Short and long term gains will almost always be faster to achieve by improving yourself, than by trying to wait for your society/culture to change. Of course with exceptions for people who are truly unable to do so.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 10-17-2017 at 08:37 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 09:06 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
Where is a halfway house for domestic abuse for men? Where is any financial support for single fathers?
???? Single fathers are eligible for the same programs as single mothers.

And are entitled to child support from their exes.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:15 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,796,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
It is interesting isn't it! Men make more than women and have higher paying jobs but advertisers target the big spenders.
This is actually a misnomer in urban areas women are killing it right now when it comes to making money. I think it's viewed by consumer watchers that women have more disposable income for whatever reason, or they are more willing to rack up debt. Car manufacturers absolutely love to target women for whatever reason a lot of women seem to despise driving around in a 5 year old car.

I know a lot of men that make decent money and they'll still drive around in an older boring car. So I dunno I kind of agree, men seem to be thriftier with money except for women that have kids to support.

It's possible men worry more about having to survive without anyone else's help and fear no safety net or support system, e.g., women that have roommates or still live with family are stigmatized less than men that do. i don't really know but it does seem like there's something going on there.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 10-17-2017 at 10:58 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 10:23 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
But to your point about a divorcee getting a job... This is why I personally would never put my career on hold for kids (or any other reason). It is extremely hard to get back in the game with a long gap in work. But for that reason that's probably why ex-SAHM may need spousal support, even with a job. The job probably isn't paying enough to take care of them and a child.
that's why I don't have a problem with child support, but I do if it is being used to "raise" the mom too, she is an adult that can raise herself

if she can't take care of herself, by herself, let the father have the kids if he can do it

Old 10-17-2017, 10:52 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,029,415 times
I'm not going to read the thread, but while I'm not so sure about being an unforgotten group, it does seem to me lately, that cushy jobs that used to dominated by men, have been taken over by almost all women. I noticed in the South Florida area, all the new News anchor people and weather people have been all women. Only place safe still would be the sports section. I've also noticed a good deal of grocery jobs, management, stock clerks, teachers, bus drivers, crossing guards, are predominantly women.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:24 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I don’t hate women, just women who feel entitled to anything and everything I worked hard for.

I own a plane, I own a house, invariably all women I know demand I sell both properties to move into a house of their choosing. I like my house where it is and I like my plane. Both are not for sale. Period.
Every woman you know demands that you move in with her? You must have some truly stellar qualities that are less than apparent on C-D.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Yet feminists are the biggest whiners because they whine about how oppressed they are, and how men are rapists. They even whine about men saying just hello to them as harassment.
That is a lie. I am a feminist, and neither I, nor any other woman I know, have ever claimed that "men are rapists." Rapists are rapists. Also, there is a difference between saying "hello, pleasant weather we're having," and saying "hello, nice arse, wanna go to bed?"

Men know this. Boys have yet to learn.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So it is OK for a person that is not your spouse to dictate your finances to you? I had, and have all that other stuff covered, and own my home free, and clear. She just wanted more stuff from me, like vacation homes, and luxury cars. It was pure greed.
From what you have shared, it sounds like she was out of line. If you were getting serious enough to consider marriage, a discussion of shared priorities would have been in order, but I agree, it was unfair of her to demand that you sacrifice a favorite possession to get other possessions. In her shoes, I would have been upset if you got rid of the plane. Planes are cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies