Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:17 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

Election night commentary from an "expert".

Paul Krugman: The Economic Fallout

Now comes the mother of all adverse effects — and what it brings with it is a regime that will be ignorant of economic policy and hostile to any effort to make it work. Effective fiscal support for the Fed? Not a chance. In fact, you can bet that the Fed will lose its independence, and be bullied by cranks.

So we are very probably looking at a global recession, with no end in sight. I suppose we could get lucky somehow. But on economics, as on everything else, a terrible thing has just happened.

The Dow just passed the 23,000 mark. Up 4,600 in seven months.

I understand that a small minority of people are benefiting... but many of them are the ones hating on Trump, but are profiting very nicely from their investments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 12:31 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Do you also understand that for most of that we're still running on the momentum from Obama, and his legacy?

We're going to start seeing Trumps results here soon. My prediction? No idea. Some things look positive, some look drastically negative. What it balances out too? Your guess as is good as mine.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:37 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Election night commentary from an "expert".

Paul Krugman: The Economic Fallout

Now comes the mother of all adverse effects — and what it brings with it is a regime that will be ignorant of economic policy and hostile to any effort to make it work. Effective fiscal support for the Fed? Not a chance. In fact, you can bet that the Fed will lose its independence, and be bullied by cranks.

So we are very probably looking at a global recession, with no end in sight. I suppose we could get lucky somehow. But on economics, as on everything else, a terrible thing has just happened.

The Dow just passed the 23,000 mark. Up 4,600 in seven months.

I understand that a small minority of people are benefiting... but many of them are the ones hating on Trump, but are profiting very nicely from their investments.
hold your horses there mate.

the stock market is a function of fiscal policy since the great recession. it should start to unwind over the next year to two years based on monetary policy changes which are starting about this month if i recall correctly.

You need to understand asset inflation is rampant and it is NOT good. the Price of Obama fixing Bush's disaster has been a massive reduction in the purchasing power of the USD EURO...

, TRUMP is a fool to be on TV taking credit, those tapes will be played back mocking his claims. The markets don't just go up.

And if you think Trump's support levels are bad now, wait until you see them when the market tanks (and it always does).

Old 10-17-2017, 12:41 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf View Post
Can you say "thanks Obama?" Rescued us from a brain-dead-bush great recession, and piloted us to a steady recovery.

Yes, when you have a senile orangutan in chief that is removing environmental and financial regulation, evil business leaders will cream (or wet) their pants at the prospect of short term gains.

Nice job voting 'murica.
Agreed.

Not that the president has much to do with the value of stocks, but Trump supporters should let us know when the stock market is up 150% from what it was the day Trump took office, because that what happened during Obama's term.

Inside the mind of a Trump supporter:

"How do I claim Trump did anything in his short time that made the stock market go higher (even though he didn't do anything) yet not have to get Obama the same credit for what happened during his term?"
DOES NOT COMPUTE. OVERLOAD. OVERLOAD.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:43 PM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Wild eyed partisans can never separate politics from a rational analysis of the facts.

This thread should be in the psychiatric forum.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Do you also understand that for most of that we're still running on the momentum from Obama, and his legacy?

We're going to start seeing Trumps results here soon. My prediction? No idea. Some things look positive, some look drastically negative. What it balances out too? Your guess as is good as mine.
Actually, I think he was holding us back. But yeah, we didn't plunge into a downward spiral. I'll give him credit for that.

I can't give him credit for the drastic turn upwards. The change is noticeably different from the Obama tenure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Wild eyed partisans can never separate politics from a rational analysis of the facts.

This thread should be in the psychiatric forum.

Not sure what you mean... these are facts - I was more saying the experts are wrong, and the people hating on Trump are profiting from the current circumstances.

The rise in the Dow Jones is going at a historical rate. That's a fact.

Now I am sure if the market tanked as fast in the coming months - even though you don't want to credit Trump for the rise, you would most certainly blame him for any major stock decline. That's also a fact.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:48 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf View Post
Can you say "thanks Obama?" Rescued us from a brain-dead-bush great recession, and piloted us to a steady recovery.

Yes, when you have a senile orangutan in chief that is removing environmental and financial regulation, evil business leaders will cream (or wet) their pants at the prospect of short term gains.

Nice job voting 'murica.
Hmmm..

Washington-George W--- $10 trillion in unfunded liability
Barak Obama---$20 trillion in unfunded liability..

Let that sink in all you Obama azz kiseers..

Old 10-17-2017, 12:53 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Hmmm..

Washington-George W--- $10 trillion in unfunded liability
Barak Obama---$20 trillion in unfunded liability..

Let that sink in all you Obama azz kiseers..
You DO know presidents don't determine budgets OR taxes generally right? They CAN have some effect, but you need to be specific.

So tell me, what EXACTLY did Obama do that increased the deficit?

Was it when he said that the costs of wars would be included i it, and not just put on a imaginary credit card for example?

The same must be done with Trump on this. For example his actions that harm the ACA might be laid at his feet with some justification, along with the resulting economic results. Which could be good OR bad.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You DO know presidents don't determine budgets OR taxes generally right? They CAN have some effect, but you need to be specific.

So tell me, what EXACTLY did Obama do that increased the deficit?

Was it when he said that the costs of wars would be included i it, and not just put on a imaginary credit card for example?

The same must be done with Trump on this. For example his actions that harm the ACA might be laid at his feet with some justification, along with the resulting economic results. Which could be good OR bad.
1- There hasn't been a budget since 2009.
2- The president and his cabinet does contribute to the spending that contributes to debts and deficits - which is why you are putting Trump and his ACA action in that category.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:03 PM

8,408 posts, read 7,402,622 times
People are climbing onto stocks in anticipation that Trump and the Republicans are going to make tax changes that will allow corporations to bring their profits back into the USA at a lower (or non-existent) tax rate than is currently the case. Once that overseas money gets back here, stock buy backs and big executive bonuses for everyone!

Won't do squat for the white working class core of Trump supporters, but the establishment conservatives will be overjoyed - Donald Trump and the Republicans gonna make it rain for the rich people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies