Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 02:44 AM

671 posts, read 445,267 times

Advertisements

So his bedside manner sucks. He could cough and someone would take offense. Fact is, Mr. Johnson knew the dangers and went anyway because he believed in this country. Unfortunately, he died defending it. Instead of complaining about something yet AGAIN about Trump, try focusing on Mr. Johnson's family he leaves behind.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
It's just another example of how different this president is. Can you imagine any other president in American history saying something like that in that circumstance to the widow? Even if it's true...come on, man. Have some freaking perspective for heaven's sake.
Yep. And that is why he is POTUS. He is no kid kissing politician that smiles in yer face then stabs ya in the back. And if I felt the urge to do it, which I don't, I could probably find many things a POTUS has said that is cringeworthy. Point is, there is no need unless you feel the desperation to continue to harangue him...which looks like to me. What's next? Melania's high heels were offensive to the mourners?

Old 10-18-2017, 03:02 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post
He could sneeze and someone will have a hissy. He is right. The man knew the dangers.
Thank you for your service, David Johnson.

"he knew what he signed up for ... but when it happens, it hurts anyway," when he died serving in northwestern Africa, according to Rep. Frederica Wilson, D-Miami Gardens.

"he knew the dangers of the job, but he never shied away from his duty."

No comment from Rep. Wilson on this?

https://www.local10.com/news/politic...-david-johnson
Dallas Shooting: President Obama Speaks at Memorial Service | Time.com

Last edited by momonkey; 10-18-2017 at 03:13 AM..

Old 10-18-2017, 03:07 AM

Thank you ^

Old 10-18-2017, 03:08 AM

10,726 posts, read 4,334,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weteath View Post
This is the president of the United States! Use your language skills and thank that widow for her husband's service in detail. Saying he knew what he signed up for, is something any bum off the street could do.

How about I'm so sorry for your loss, your husband was an honorable man, and a tremendous patriot for our great country. He paid the ultimate sacrifice and you have my condolences.

Compare that too... He knew what he signed up for. Please quit defending the defenseless. Don't lower the bar to make trump seem acceptable, raise it to make him and other politicians do better.
Sounds awfully cliched, fake and rehearsed.
Thankfully Trump isn't a politician, so he's not going to put on a front.

Also you get over grief quicker if you have less of a victim's mentality, so I like the fact that Trump didn't do the fawning routine.

By framing the death as being one of the risks of the job, you don't think "why him?" so much.
Whereas if it was an illness or car accident, it'd be a lot harder to explain why it happened to him.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
It's just another example of how different this president is. Can you imagine any other president in American history saying something like that in that circumstance to the widow? Even if it's true...come on, man. Have some freaking perspective for heaven's sake.

Nope...can't think of a single one!

"He came...telling his family, this is something I wanted to do."

Dallas Shooting: President Obama Speaks at Memorial Service | Time.com

Old 10-18-2017, 03:38 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
"He knew what he signed up for" is a compliment to the soldier, a way of saying he was a brave professional who chose to do a dangerous job, knowing the risks to his own safety. But anything to stoke black anger and resentment...
Oh please. Stop making stuff up.

What Trump meant was this: “It wasn’t my fault” meaning it wasn’t Trump’s fault. Therefore, it was the soldier’s fault for enlisting.

Gee, Trump might as well have said “sucker”

Old 10-18-2017, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Oh please. Stop making stuff up.

What Trump meant was this: “It wasn’t my fault” meaning it wasn’t Trump’s fault. Therefore, it was the soldier’s fault for enlisting.

Gee, Trump might as well have said “sucker”

Well EDnurse, a.k.a. Jean Dixon, when you have a moment between clairvoyant episodes, perhaps you could tell us what Obama was thinking.

"For the moment you put on that uniform, you have answered a call that at any moment, even in the briefest interaction, may put your life in harm’s way."

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...olice-officers

Old 10-18-2017, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
because it was an idiotic thing to say to a widow.

i was sincere in my desire to see someone else write future condolence letters. trump lacks the empathy and competence for such an important task.

This is different in what way?

"For the moment you put on that uniform, you have answered a call that at any moment, even in the briefest interaction, may put your life in harm’s way."

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...olice-officers

Old 10-18-2017, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
https://amp.local10.com/news/politic...-david-johnson

Perhaps he should have stayed silent.

"according to Rep. Frederica Wilson, D-Miami Gardens."

Hmmm.....have another source?

I see the story all over the Internet, but the only source for the quote seems to be a Democrat, Rep. Frederica Wilson.

I prefer to read full, unedited quotes, and in context.

A neutral source would be nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies