Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 11:06 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Jackass Donny probably will.
Oh God I hope not. Please let Trump leave that family alone.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt... I don't think he intended to offend anyone. We all know he's not the best at wording things so it's possible he inadvertently said something goofy.

That said, the family is in deep pain and he should show them some grace. Apparently this phone call took place on speakerphone while the family was in a car on the way to pick up the body, right after the widow had been informed she could not hold the open casket funeral she wanted because the body was too badly damaged. Can you imagine? The wife is pregnant and has 2 other young kids, and she's on the way to pick up their father's mangled corpse. Jesus.

I could image the whole family was pretty emotional at that moment anyway. Not the time for a verbal gaffe but there you go.

Just let it go this time Donny. Walk away.

Last edited by Tinawina; 10-18-2017 at 11:21 AM..

Old 10-18-2017, 11:11 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Did you miss the thread title?

Being disrespected is bad enough, but to lie about what was said...
So you're going to split hairs about what may have been said instead of the alleged disrespect to a fallen solider and his family.

You Trump supporters are something else.

Like I said, I'll wait and see if we get full context, but I would give the solider's family the benefit of the doubt.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:17 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Oh God I hope not. Please let Trump leave that family alone.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt... I don't think he intended to offend anyone. We all know he's not the best at wording things so it's possible he inadvertently said something goofy.

That said, the family is in deep pain and he should show them some grace. Apparently this phone call took place on speakerphone while the family was in a car on the way to pick up the body, right after the widow had been informed she could not hold the open casket funeral she wanted because the body was too badly damaged. Can you imagine? The wife is pregnant and has 2 other young kids, and she's on the way to pick up their father's mangled body. Jesus.

I could image the whole family was pretty emotional at that moment anyway. Not the time for a verbal gaffe but there you go.

Just let it go this time Donny. Walk away.

The only doubt I have about this man is that he's matured emotionally beyond age 6.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:18 AM

14,479 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
That’s really funny because you guys always whine when people parse The Poet Trump’s words.

Hilariously hypocritical, Cult 45.
You disagree? Please explain.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:19 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
With this jackass of a POTUS, we're rapidly approaching the time to start hanging the flag upside down as the recognized distress symbol it is.

About time he stopped whining about 'this job is hard', he knew what he was signing up for.
Indeed.

If my career military Dad had been killed in Vietnam and the president had called my family to "console" us by telling us that my father "knew what he signed up for," I would be out of my mind with rage and grief. Saying something like that implies that a fallen soldier deserved to die because "They knew what they were signing up for." Really?

A member of the military "signs up" to serve their country - period.

Not only is Trump a failure as president, he's a failure as a human being.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:32 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
I agree with you. He did bring this on himself because people were all "he has not said one thing about the 4 soldiers killed in Africa". He does something about it...granted at the wrong time as their bodies are arriving back home. Send a letter first then call after things settle.
I hope he doesn't show his proof right now out of respect for the families. Let them bury their loved ones. Give them time to get into a new normal.
Like i posted in another thread, the only people who REALLY cared about these fallen soldiers are their loved ones. I guarantee you after (maybe 2-3 weeks), they will all forget about this widow and her husband.

Trump said something stupid and insensitive, maybe. The other side is certainly not helping the situation.

This is the sad world we are living in.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:44 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,440,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Without hearing what he actually said, Ill reserve judgment. One sentence out of a conversation can be taken out of context.
When we enlist to serve our country we all know what we are signing up for. We all know that if called to action that it may result in loss of our lives. That is the sacrifice every member of the military accepts. Trump was correct in his statement. It may not bring peace to the widow or make her feel appreciated, but it is the reality.

Here is the oath taken.
I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Can you clarify where it says..."and give my life" or sacrifice. ?

Nah...didn't think so.

But if you do join the taliban you get to say that

Old 10-18-2017, 11:46 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
When Wilson was pressed on whether she was sticking by her account that she heard Trump say, “he knew what he was signing up for,” she said “yes.” When I reiterated that Trump claims to have proof otherwise, she said, “How about you go get that proof and call me back?”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.918d2ba17c3f

So that's where we are folks. Trump says he has proof and Wilson tells him to, "Put up or shut up."

Old 10-18-2017, 11:46 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Why should anyone be surprised that this excuse for a human being who compared his struggle to avoid venereal disease with the experiences of us who served in Vietnam, brought a gold star father to tears, and insulted every POW should make insensitive and thoughtless remarks to a soldier's widow?

Old 10-18-2017, 11:48 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Why should anyone be surprised that this excuse for a human being who compared his struggle to avoid venereal disease with the experiences of us who served in Vietnam, brought a gold star father to tears, and insulted every POW should make insensitive and thoughtless remarks to a soldier's widow?
A woman with walnuts for eyes could see what's going on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies