Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 10:29 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
So California recently added a third option (nonbinary) under gender on birth certificates and driver's licenses.

https://ww2.kqed.org/futureofyou/201...der-nonbinary/

I get that sex and gender are two different things. Sex is your biology and gender is (putting it simply) how you identify yourself.

So putting these things together, this invites the question: why is gender on these documents instead of sex? Seems to me that sex is what's appropriate, not gender. After all, isn't what's on your birth certificate and driver's license your physical description?
Sex and gender is the same thing! The state of California has lost its damn mind. Same state that now
rules it a misdemeanor to knowingly infect people with HIV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 10:30 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,926 times
How come race can't be what you "feel like" ?

Old 10-18-2017, 10:30 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
My license states sex, not gender.
Mine too.
California, what can you say?

Old 10-18-2017, 10:32 AM

Texas has "sex" on their DL as well.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:32 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
How come race can't be what you "feel like" ?
It should be. This whole sex/gender thing makes the door open. You should start a thread about it.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:33 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Only liberals can complicate something as simple as gender.

You are what you are born with, not something you wish to be.
What you describe is sex. Which is (for the most part, except for some unique exceptions) defined genetically.

Gender is, and always has been, a social construct of norms and accepted expectations. It is usually a reflection of the underlying sex of the individual, but is not always. And there are plenty of biological cases that demonstrate that gender can be a bit dynamic/sliding scale (based on hormonal expression, which can fluctuate depending on a great variety of many things).

Feel free to simplify it - but I'm merely bringing up the science and the data, which is extensive on this subject.

As to the OP - it makes perfect sense why gender, not sex, would be the preferred identification. If someone is transgender, you would of course want to know that they identify as a man/woman (gender) vs. a woman/man (sex), since this is the outward appearance that you see.

Knowing the sex of the individual does not seem useful for anything that I can think of.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
What you describe is sex. Which is (for the most part, except for some unique exceptions) defined genetically.

Gender is, and always has been, a social construct of norms and accepted expectations. It is usually a reflection of the underlying sex of the individual, but is not always. And there are plenty of biological cases that demonstrate that gender can be a bit dynamic/sliding scale (based on hormonal expression, which can fluctuate depending on a great variety of many things).

Feel free to simplify it - but I'm merely bringing up the science and the data, which is extensive on this subject.

As to the OP - it makes perfect sense why gender, not sex, would be the preferred identification. If someone is transgender, you would of course want to know that they identify as a man/woman (gender) vs. a woman/man (sex), since this is the outward appearance that you see.

Knowing the sex of the individual does not seem useful for anything that I can think of.
No it has not. Gender/sex were interchangeable until John Money came along.
So it's only in recent history has gender been defined as "what you feel" rather than what you are.

Now go read up on John Money.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:49 AM

1,239 posts, read 510,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Only liberals can complicate something as simple as gender.

You are what you are born with, not something you wish to be.
I don't care much for the whole Trans debate. I think that it was only brought to the limelight to create divisiveness, and that it pushed a lot of people who were making an effort into thinking that things were just moving too far, too quick. We have far bigger problems to deal with than this tiny sub-section of the populace, and from what I've experienced, Trans people do themselves no favors with the way they attack anyone who isn't 100% behind every part of their cause.

That being said, your comment is absurd. Really, not worth the effort of explaining it to you, but if you don't sell your plane, and multiple homes, there is no future between us!

Old 10-18-2017, 10:52 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

Liberalism has rotted your brain completely. Listen to what you just said. It's so beyond laughable it enters the realm of downright mental. Let's say there is this big hairy guy who likes to think he is a female but looks every bit a man. What's more useful as a descriptor. His sex (male) or his pretend gender (Woman)? If a BOLO goes out looking for this guy and it says 6'0 woman instead of 6'0 male dressed as a woman would they ever catch him? Hell no, they will be looking for a 6'0 REAL woman, not some mentally ill 6'0 man pretending to be one.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:59 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
I don't care much for the whole Trans debate. I think that it was only brought to the limelight to create divisiveness, and that it pushed a lot of people who were making an effort into thinking that things were just moving too far, too quick. We have far bigger problems to deal with than this tiny sub-section of the populace, and from what I've experienced, Trans people do themselves no favors with the way they attack anyone who isn't 100% behind every part of their cause.
It's a good wedge-issue to divide the bottom 99%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies