Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel the confederate flag has a racist message?
Yes and I am a liberal 43 18.45%
Yes and I am a conservative 9 3.86%
Yes and I am an independent 53 22.75%
No and I am a liberal 13 5.58%
No and I am a conservative 50 21.46%
No and I am an independent 65 27.90%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 05:43 PM

242 posts, read 184,184 times

Advertisements

Do you feel that displaying the confederate flag symbolizes racism or heritage? Why?

Old 10-14-2017, 05:47 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Why would anyone want to fly the flag of traitors and losers?

Old 10-14-2017, 05:53 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The Brits could ask the same thing on the "traitor" standpoint

On a more serious note, no, everyone who flies the flag is not racist. And the flag isn't inherently racist. To believe that flag is inherently racist, you must also believe that the American flag is inherently racist (well, enough leftists already believe this point) as the US Constitution explicitly sanctioned slavery, etc. But, just as the US has evolved/grown, so, I argue, has the Confederate flag and what it means to many.

To be willing to immediately dismiss and negatively label the Confederate flag and those who choose to display it shows a certain ignorance and hatred in itself.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 10-14-2017 at 06:03 PM..

Old 10-14-2017, 05:57 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Loaded terminology aside, the Confederate era is an integral part of the history of the southern states, and the flag acknowledges that. The Confederate flag is no more a symbol of contemporary racism than the Marxist red banner is a symbol of Stalinist genocide, or the Hawaii flag a salute to British colonialism.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:15 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
The Battle Flag of Northern Virginia, like any other inanimate object, is whatever you make it out to be. Some people who display it are racist, but most of those who display it are not intending to be racist or offensive.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:16 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
There are plenty of people who fly the flag simply because of history or “heritage” (whatever that means).

That said, I don’t care about the flag itself or the raising of it. I just don’t want African Americans to pay taxes to maintain ANY institution that flies it. To us, it’s the official ad hoc symbol of the attempt to keep us in bondage forever. The CSA’s own VP said so himself:

Quote:
The constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the “storm came and the wind blew.”

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.
So anyone saying that what the flag represents the opposite of what the flag ACTUALLY represented is simply wrong.

Again, nothing wrong with flying it privately. I don’t object.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:19 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There are plenty of people who fly the flag simply because of history or “heritage” (whatever that means).

That said, I don’t care about the flag itself or the raising of it. I just don’t want African Americans to pay taxes to maintain ANY institution that flies it. To us, it’s the official ad hoc symbol of the attempt to keep us in bondage forever. The CSA’s own VP said so himself:

So anyone saying that what the flag represents the opposite of what the flag ACTUALLY represented is simply wrong.

Do you also oppose African Americans paying taxes in the U.S., period? Regardless of what the CSA founder said, let's be clear about one thing: the US government/Constitution was not founded upon the idea that all men were created equal; as I mentioned before and as I'm sure you know, the U.S. Constitution explicitly sanctioned slavery. But the document and country evolved over time. If such is possible for the U.S. Constitution and the U.S. as a whole, why can't it be true for what the Confederate flag means to some?

Old 10-14-2017, 06:20 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

I think that it is entirely appropriate for governments to fly Confederate flags in a historical context. I think the removal of the flag from the grounds of the South Carolina statehouse, where it was part of a MEMORIAL, was disgraceful. The Confederate veterans are considered equal with U.S. Army veterans by law.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:25 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
They were a our brothers. They suffered enough. Quit vilifying them.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Do you also oppose African Americans paying taxes in the U.S., period? Regardless of what the CSA founder said, let's be clear about one thing: the US government/Constitution was not founded upon the idea that all men were created equal; as I mentioned before and as I'm sure you know, the U.S. Constitution explicitly sanctioned slavery. But the document and country evolved over time. If such is possible for the U.S. Constitution and the U.S. as a whole, why can't it be true for what the Confederate flag means to some?
I have no issue paying taxes.

I do not want my tax money to go to any institution that flies a Confederate Flag. Our constitution WAS written with the idea that all men were created equal. The nation grappled with the slavery question right up until the Civil War. Southerners wouldn’t join this newly created country without their damn slaves.

It was a compromise. However, the South attempted to destroy the nation with the greatest constitutional protections in the history of mankind. And for that, they had to pay AND lose their slaves.

They created the CSA with the purpose of keeping and maintaining slavery...not for any other reason. They said so as I’ve quoted. Argue with them, not me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I think that it is entirely appropriate for governments to fly Confederate flags in a historical context. I think the removal of the flag from the grounds of the South Carolina statehouse, where it was part of a MEMORIAL, was disgraceful. The Confederate veterans are considered equal with U.S. Army veterans by law.
Yeah, but they aren’t the equal of US Army veterans. They were a rebel, traitorous military, and their leaders from Davis, Stephens and Lee on down, should’ve been hung after the war.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
They were a our brothers. They suffered enough. Quit vilifying them.
Your brothers maybe. Not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies