Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:27 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

Good for her, at least she had courage to name the perp unlike some of these Hollywood starlets and their vague accusations that do nothing to stop the problem.

And pretty please, enough with the victim blaming ("b-b-but why didn't she say anything earlier").

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/gymnast...78.html?exp=vv

Quote:
Olympic gold medalist McKayla Maroney has added her voice to the thousands of women coming forward with stories of sexual assault under the #MeToo hashtag. On Twitter, Maroney wrote of how she was repeatedly assaulted by her former USA Gymnastics team doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 09:32 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
She's far from being the only one. There are a number of young women who have already come out about that.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:32 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Good for her, at least she had courage to name the perp unlike some of these Hollywood starlets and their vague accusations that do nothing to stop the problem.

And pretty please, enough with the victim blaming ("b-b-but why didn't she say anything earlier").

Do you not see the irony in your statement?

The way to stop "the problem" of men sexually assaulting women is for men to stop sexually assaulting women.

If a woman is not yet comfortable for whatever her reason to face/name the person who sexually assaulted her, she's still not the problem. The man who sexually assaulted her is.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:41 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Just fyi but that doctor has been accused by scores of gymnasts and has already been named a long time ago.

I'm sorry for her plight but nobody is doubting her and as for naming the guy, he has been named repeatedly prior to this.

I mean, imagine a year or two from now an actress comes out and names Harvey W as having grabbed her at one time. Nobody is going to challenge that claim and it's not going to be a bombshell revelation either.

The reason this is even making much news is because Ms. Maroney is extremely successful and famous. If she'd been a less prominent gymnast this would be back-page stuff at best as the perp\scandal is old news.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:47 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Do you not see the irony in your statement?

The way to stop "the problem" of men sexually assaulting women is for men to stop sexually assaulting women.

If a woman is not yet comfortable for whatever her reason to face/name the person who sexually assaulted her, she's still not the problem. The man who sexually assaulted her is.
Unfortunately, predators always have and always will exist.

With that in mind a practical solution is to make the reporting of these things easier for those affected which I believe has been improved greatly over the years.

At the same time anonymity for both parties while a fair investigation is conducted is crucial as it's important to get to the truth and follow the law.

I personally feel that while we've made progress on awareness that a wave of false or at best flawed high-profile accusations are the biggest impediment to continued progress on the topic as we've done so much better on the topic of awareness and support for the victims than even 10-20 years ago.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

With that in mind a practical solution is to make the reporting of these things easier for those affected which I believe has been improved greatly over the years.

At the same time anonymity for both parties while a fair investigation is conducted is crucial as it's important to get to the truth and follow the law.

I personally feel that while we've made progress on awareness that a wave of false or at best flawed high-profile accusations are the biggest impediment to continued progress on the topic as we've done so much better on the topic of awareness and support for the victims than even 10-20 years ago.
I agree. But there's still a ways to go.

I wish the people who ask "Why didn't she say something" would give serious thought as to why she might not.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:06 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
I have a feeling these kinds of things are more common than most people think, and its only a very very small percentage that are ever exposed, named or caught.

You have to wonder what makes men have these desires when society does nothing but encourage this behavior, whether its movies, tv shows, fashion trends, etc sex still sells.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:07 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
*^%$@!!! Where does this stop? This is insane how many people prey on all of these females.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I have a feeling these kinds of things are more common than most people think, and its only a very very small percentage that are ever exposed, named or caught.

You have to wonder what makes men have these desires when society does nothing but encourage this behavior, whether its movies, tv shows, fashion trends, etc sex still sells.

Please tell me the fashion trends or TV shows that "sell" or encourage sexual assault?

Old 10-18-2017, 10:15 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
*^%$@!!! Where does this stop? This is insane how many people prey on all of these females.
I agree hopefully this creepy doctor gets thrown away for life if he hasn't been already. It will be interesting to see how many more women come out in the near future. Something really needs to be done I don't get it, these girls have to know it's not normal, even when they're 13. Especially nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I would simply tell girls once they hit 5 to not let a guy touch them at all unless someone else is around. This guy had an in because he was a creepy doctor for female gymnasts. Time to change that too it looks like. I mean it does sound a little wierd imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies