Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 03:04 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Wrong again. When someone hasn't lived much of life yet or been to countries like Cuba they are, naturally, operating from a place of how they imagine things are; rather than having experienced how they are and then coming to realize that there is often a mountain of difference.

It is simply an exercise in futility trying to reason with someone who understands little but, insists that they do.

Take a trip to Cuba, or most other 3rd world countries, and tell us what you learned that was different than what you had imagined. Seriously, I'd be interested to hear.
My Mom's side of the family came from a third world country. I practically spend 1/3 of my life in various 3rd third countries. Care to throw any stupid statements about 3rd world country my way???

An exercise in futility is arguing with someone who assumes too much and everything he assumes is wrong.

Back to the main point, no one is expecting the US to rebuilt the power grid in one week. But is it too much to ask that at least everyone gets supply of water more than one month after the hurricane??

Old 10-20-2017, 03:48 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Exactly.

The Cuban leadership looks like the well oiled A Team while our leadership looks like headless chickens in search of a clue.

But somehow this qualifies as "winning" in the alternative facts universe.
You’re right, the PR government did nothing to prepare. Instead they waited for all the free stuff sfter Maria.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:29 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
My Mom's side of the family came from a third world country. I practically spend 1/3 of my life in various 3rd third countries. Care to throw any stupid statements about 3rd world country my way???

An exercise in futility is arguing with someone who assumes too much and everything he assumes is wrong.

Back to the main point, no one is expecting the US to rebuilt the power grid in one week. But is it too much to ask that at least everyone gets supply of water more than one month after the hurricane??
That was solely the responsibility of the citizens and the local government to be prepared.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:45 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Because Irma had inflicted significant damages on PR despite not being hit directly, that laid the groundwork for much of the damages you see today. Without Maria, PR would still be in serious trouble.

No one is disputing that but your post failed to mention that it was hit with Irma and Maria.

I agree with you that Irma laid the groundwork but Irma did not do damage anything near Maria in Puerto Rico. After Irma, Puerto Rico was helping us in the USVI (STT and STJ). So people who say that PR wasn't prepared are incorrect. They were able to help us due to their own preparation, which was significant even if not enough. Really, there is almost no way to fully prepare for two Category 5 (or 4 with PR) hurricanes back to back.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:52 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
No one is disputing that but your post failed to mention that it was hit with Irma and Maria.

I agree with you that Irma laid the groundwork but Irma did not do damage anything near Maria in Puerto Rico. After Irma, Puerto Rico was helping us in the USVI (STT and STJ). So people who say that PR wasn't prepared are incorrect. They were able to help us due to their own preparation, which was significant even if not enough. Really, there is almost no way to fully prepare for two Category 5 (or 4 with PR) hurricanes back to back.
They were far from prepared and their anti-Trump antics didn't help much either.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:58 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
That was solely the responsibility of the citizens and the local government to be prepared.
Stop moving the goal post.

We're talking about at least providing water to everyone weeks after the hurricane. That is not just the responsibility of local government, it's basically why we have FEMA.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:35 AM

31,048 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Putins not a Communist. Your ignorance is showing.
So he's and Communist turned Oligarch. Anyway about it, Communism doesn't work anywhere.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:58 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
They were far from prepared and their anti-Trump antics didn't help much either.
LOL@ anti-Trump antics. What were those exactly? Tell me what Puerto Ricans did on a whole? One mayor expressed frustration with the federal response and Trump took it personally and made it all about him. That's how it became a big issue. So please stop.

After being hit with two huge hurricanes, frustration and desperation can set in. Trump would have lost it if he were the British Prime Minister and heard how the BVI called out to people via radio after Irma. For me, I can understand that mayor because hers was a call for help, in desperation, seeing the destruction firsthand.

Hell, after Irma, we were terrified of what we might find just because of how bad the place looked. We couldnt get out to the street. The neighbor wasn't answering. All we had was a radio. Maria...hit some worse. And on an island you are isolated. People react differently...mayor or not...Yulin Cruz is human and in a disaster area.

Many people were prepared but, if the wind and water comes in and takes/destroys your items, what can you do? Irma registered on the seismometers which has never happened. Maria threw water everywhere, along with wind. It was A LOT.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:01 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Hurricane Irma DID NOT directly hit Puerto Rico, you didn't know that did you??

But it DID strike Cuba inland. So not only was Cuba hit as hard as Puerto Rico, it was hit HARDER than Puerto Rico.

However, Cuba was not as bad as Puerto Rico in the aftermath, the article explains why - it has to do with good leadership, good preparation, and good post-hurricane action.

Puerto Rico, on the other hand, did not get any of that; hence, they are worse off.

You really should read the article, maybe you'll learn something.
Hurricane Irma made a glancing strike on both Cuba and Puerto Rico. Hurricane Maria (apparently you missed this girl) made landfall (that means direct hit!) on Puerto Rico’s SE coast as a strong Category 4 hurricane and exited the NW coast. It then proceeded to miss Cuba.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:33 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Let's compare both to the state of Texas that also got hit hard. Texas was very well prepared and more importantly the citizens of the state got off their azz and went to work rebuilding.

Seems to me if there is a problem in PR it's due to the people sitting back waiting on the Federal Govt to come "Fix" their problems. That's what happens when you become a welfare state.

You become poor, broke and wait for someone to take care of you. A Democrat heaven.

Last edited by Rakin; 10-21-2017 at 07:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies