Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 11:54 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,697,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Because a lot of that media consumption is done on the go. So I would rather sit in a nice restaurant eating a good meal while surfing the Internet than I would in a cow pasture. But that’s just me. If you like small town living, who cares. I just find it strange that so many think it’s so virtuous to do so. If you don’t live in city why do you care? Could it be that city dwellers tend not to vote how you think they should? Maybe if everything wasn’t viewed through a political lens, you all could feel better about it.
It does boggle the mind.
Why are people so concerned with how other people spend their money and by what makes them happy?
Some prefer to know that they can see the Golden Gate Bridge up close and personal if they chose to do so.
What's wrong with that?

Does the OP really believe that everyone should think in lock-step?
I wonder what s/he thinks would happen if everyone converged on those places s/he deems so much more worthy. Would the prices remain low?

Somehow I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 11:58 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The main issue here is if you lose your job, you are in much worse shape much more quickly than you would be where property taxes are $2K instead of $10K. Also, if you work as say a retail manager, the COL adjustment is not nearly enough to cover the difference.
Yep. But if you are too afraid to take risks you are too timid to reap rewards, and of course if your job does not pay competitive rates like most grunt level service industry jobs you could end up much worse off. The assumption is that in a situation where salaries increase at some rate close to the COL increases, you will generally be better off making more and spending more.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:03 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
Grass is always greener syndrome. I sometimes complain how boring it is in south Dakota but I have a 12 minute commute, make $25 per hour and managed to snag a home at an estate auction a year ago for $120k that I could sell for $170k and there's no state income tax. Its a safe community, nice house, and I made some good money in Cryptos. I literally want for nothing now except love and wouldn't trade it for a lower paying job just to have stuff to do closer to me. I have to ask myself how much I'd actually use these amenities versus the hassle of living around all the people and the higher cost of living. Sioux falls is easy enough to get too and plenty big for me.

The job I can leave when I punch out and the not needing to work a lot of overtime let me focus on hobbies and personal growth outside of work and give me a nice work life balance. Plus my job....its great. As for exploring the world, I can do that with google, or I can use my 65 inch OLED tv and a pair of 3D glasses. Eventually I'll travel the world some. This need to experience everything is there, but I can fill it with a fast enough internet connection. The ability to research any topic like last night at work I was googling DNA and evolution, and how they can store data in DNA strands...I find that sort of seeking of knowledge to be rewarding in itself in a world where most people would rather gossip about sports or others personal lives or stories of their youthful stunts.

The one and only thing that bugs me about this area is the barking dog culture. Everyone seems to love chaining their dogs in the yard for hours on end and dont seem to care when they bark excessively.

Last edited by sholomar; 10-20-2017 at 12:30 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 12:08 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,697,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Oh please, this thread doesn't live in a vacuum. There have been dozens of other rural vs city threads and for the most part they all veer into the area.
So someone lives in a rural area...why even comment on it at all? Why even start a thread?
Hey guess what, my house is brown and white. All people who live in tan houses are morons. You know why? I HATE tan! Does that make any more sense?
Funny, isn't it, the faux outrage over the politics.

The OP chose to post this in the P&OC forum. Could have posted in city vs. city but nooooooo.
If it wasn't supposed to become political, why post it here?

Old 10-20-2017, 12:19 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.emarketer.com/Article/US...-Media/1015775

12 hours per day consuming media on laptop, desktop or mobile device.

https://www.emarketer.com/Article/US...-Media/1015775

8 hours is what the average person sleeps.

I think it is very interesting how people pay 10 times the price for a home in San Francisco than Wichita when a vast majority of people's lives is consuming nearly universally available media and sleeping.

When ever I am in a big city, I wonder where the excitement is as a vast majority of people are staring at a device most of the time.

Interesting the premium pay to be on the internet in Culver City or Newport Beach as opposed to Wichita or Grand Forks.
San Fran isn't all that great anymore, what with all the people defecating in the streets ( Map shows S.F.’s human excrement on the streets - SFGate Blog ), but it used to be.

I can tell you that when I lived in FL and Maine, I spent way less time on the internet because there was a lot of outdoors stuff to do. I like nature - don't need constant stimulus like events to entertain me. Some places in CA are still like that, as well as many other states. Not sure what there is to do in Kansas though.

However, if a person spends the mass majority of their time inside, or not partaking of the natural things to do where they live, then I agree - what is the point of paying so much just to say you live somewhere if your total experience consists of food delivery, dinner parties, where you bought your coffee, and going to the movies. You can do that anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies