Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 08:58 AM

8,415 posts, read 7,412,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Fault was the Farm Workers. They failed to ensure a binding contract prior to making investments on an ephemeral offer.

The solution is don't go off half cocked over a bar room offer.
So collective bargaining and labor unions are libertarian concepts? Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 09:02 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Indeed. That's why I believe in accountable government: we need government based on democratic elections that are free of corruption by special interests. Special interests like to use government to screw people. Unfortunately, libertarians want special interests to have the freedom to buy elections...because...you know...freedom!
And libertarians are naive?

Old 10-20-2017, 09:04 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
So collective bargaining and labor unions are libertarian concepts? Interesting.
Sure labor can organize, unions just cant use violence to force its will on ownership. If there is a voluntary agreement between a labor union and ownership, both sides should honor it.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:07 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Are you claiming the US has a libertarian form of government?
Not even close. I'm simply pointing the hypocrisy of some.

Quote:
Our wars violate the Non-aggression Principle. Taxes violate private property rights and the NAP, you can't get tax cuts without taxation, government can't subsidize industries if they don't have the income (or ability to borrow) through taxes to subsidize.

Libertarians and their principles didn't get us where we are, it was the state that we're disgusted and horrified by that did.
I never claimed they did. Locally I am involved with the (L)'s but the thing is, I vote for a candidate not a party. I was the official photographer at the (L) state convention last year. I got to meet Gary Johnson. I didn't vote for him because he never took it seriously.

I remain a (I) though. I thought I was on the outside in my belief that it's OK for us to come together to help those less fortunate. Being involved at least locally I have found others that believe the same thing.

Just don't tell me you want tax cuts while pimping for never ending wars.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Fault was the Farm Workers. They failed to ensure a binding contract prior to making investments on an ephemeral offer.

The solution is don't go off half cocked over a bar room offer.
Contracts end.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:11 AM

18,455 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Yes, sort of.

But only if participation in them is voluntary.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:12 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
That's a really nice straw man you constructed.

That said neither are contrary to libertarian principles. How they are used may be.

Collective bargaining is not a violation as long as it is not leveraged to coerce, violate the NAP, or limit association (for example demand that all employees operate under a collective bargaining agreement) . Unions are not required for collective bargaining, freedom of association does not prohibit membership of any group.

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
A child needs government to raise them from cradle to grave. An adult doesn't.

To think that the FDA which inspects less than 2% of our food somehow protects us is childish.
To think that paying higher prices because of government controlled internet is a good thing is mind boggling.
Good to know that if the restaurant is filthy you can just look at the health certificate on the wall given out by someone who was there for 1 hour over a years time and that means it's safe, Whatever you do don't use your own judgement.

Big evil government protect you from the big evil government housing boom and bust that ruined the eocnomy?

Thank goodness for government involvement in the weather because it's December, there's snow on the ground and if it weren't for govenment I wouldn't have the sense to go inside and get warm.

But you keep bowing down to your handlers if it helps you sleep at night.
Thanks for that. I needed a good laugh.

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Contracts end.
Only under the term outlined in the contract.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Only under the term outlined in the contract.
So the contract ends and the workers are offered $1.25 because that is what the lazy SOB's on Wall Street demand to gautantee continued record profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies