Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When should abortion be permitted in the US?
Never, except in emergencies 2 20.00%
First trimester 6 60.00%
First and second trimester 2 20.00%
First, second, and third trimester 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 07:18 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,653,408 times

Advertisements

George F. Will wrote a provocative opinion piece in the Washington Post today. While I agree that life begins at conception, I'm not entirely comfortable with restricting all abortions. If forced to choose, I'd say that abortions should be permitted during the first trimester, but not after that time, with an exception for protecting the life of the mother.

Interestingly, he wrote:

"Only seven nations allow unrestricted abortion after 20 weeks. Most European nations restrict abortions by at least week 13. France and Germany are very restrictive after 12, Sweden after 18."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.e584c9354fe1

When should abortion be permitted or not permitted, and who is more extreme about abortions? Democrats or Republicans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 08:21 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,168,788 times
Why men argue about abortion goes completely over my head.

Bottom line for me is this: I don’t expect someone that’s too stupid to use birth control to all of a sudden become smart enough to be a parent. That’s all.

All these arguments about conception and trimester this and that are beyond tedious. I’ll let women worry about it.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:23 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,090,618 times
Duh

Old 10-19-2017, 08:32 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,032,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
George F. Will wrote a provocative opinion piece in the Washington Post today. While I agree that life begins at conception, I'm not entirely comfortable with restricting all abortions. If forced to choose, I'd say that abortions should be permitted during the first trimester, but not after that time, with an exception for protecting the life of the mother.

Interestingly, he wrote:

"Only seven nations allow unrestricted abortion after 20 weeks. Most European nations restrict abortions by at least week 13. France and Germany are very restrictive after 12, Sweden after 18."
That's not entirely true. Third trimester abortion is available in those countries, but it is restricted. Like the US, those countries also recognize that late-term abortions are largely sought because of severe birth defects or risk of the mother's life, and are allowable with medical consent (for example, in France, two physicians must sign off).

Old 10-19-2017, 08:33 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,032,578 times
As for your question, abortion should be permitted when a woman wants one and a doctor deems it a safe procedure. You know, the same as every other medical procedure.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:39 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,489,521 times
Let me get this straight.

1. George Will hates Trump
2. Trump supporters vilify George Will calling him a RINO.
3. Trump supporters now trumpet an article by George Will.

Did I miss a step in your hypocrisy?

Old 10-19-2017, 08:44 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,801,031 times
I would say first trimester. Anything after that should only be in an emergency.

I've considered both sides of this argument and that's simply what I am most comfortable with. I am open to changing my opinion on it.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:15 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,613,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why men argue about abortion goes completely over my head.

Bottom line for me is this: I don’t expect someone that’s too stupid to use birth control to all of a sudden become smart enough to be a parent. That’s all.

All these arguments about conception and trimester this and that are beyond tedious. I’ll let women worry about it.
Men are expected to pay child support, so I bet some have 2nd thoughts about all abortion should be banned when the tables are turned and find they don't want to be a father.

State laws restricting abortion have gone as far as they can under Roe v. Wade. It's time to look at the issue as an unwanted pregnancy problem, rather than as abortion. So it would help if the various means of birth control were required to be taught in high school. Teaching abstinence only works okay for only as long as being that way is appropriate behavior. It isn't so with marriage, so if a baby is not desired, knowledge about birth control learned in school would come in handy.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:21 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,064,213 times
George Will should mind his own business. And the issue should remain a private one between a woman and her healthcare provider, just like every other medical procedure.

And OP, as a male you are not, and never will be, "forced to choose" so you, too, should mind your own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies